Old 12 March 2017, 09:00   #21

Town: Benfleet
Make: Honda Honwave T40
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 4 stroke
I hold my fork in my right hand when eating too!
Old 12 March 2017, 09:27   #22

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Regardless of what “rules” some believe in .. I have found that in Real life the split for left or right is probably around 50% to 50%. I have many photos of groups to back up my observations.

Example ... One from a Ribnet Scottish SIB outing

I personally sit on the rear bench seat ..bang on the middle...as do quite a few others that have a rear bench fitted.

I don’t think any of the SIBBERS that I have been with are doing things wrong..and to suggest otherwise.. only shows how pedantic some folks can be.

These photos are not mine..but I include them to illustrate that others tend to follow instinct too. Plenty more photos illustrating the point on the net if anyone doubts it

Cliff.. do as you feel comfortable.. you are not alone...whichever way you choose...you know it makes sense.
Old 12 March 2017, 09:48   #23

Thanks The Gurnard 😉. It seems even the R.N.L.I guys make their own choices!

You've gotta feel comfortable when you're out on the water, and I wouldn't feel comfortable Sat on the other side. The tiller would be too far away for me (I'm a short arse).

We were going to take the children out on it today but the forecast is rain so have postponed the trip for another week or two.
Old 12 March 2017, 10:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff B View Post
The tiller would be too far away for me (I'm a short arse).

Hey..perhaps there is a “rule” involved after all Cliff .. I never thought of that before.

I wonder ..do Short Shaft arms sit on the left while Long Shaft arms sit on the right side. ?

That makes total sense to me now.

Enjoy your new boat Cliff.. Im hoping to get my boating season started real soon too.
Old 12 March 2017, 10:06   #25

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> were going to take the children out on it today but the forecast is rain

Yep that forecast here for today has switched a couple of times over the past 24hrs but it's settled to a grey drizzly day. Had planned to give the SIB its first inflate and the OB it's first start of the season for a trip round the water butt... don't want to get it all wet for packing away though.

Will at least get all the kit out on the garage floor to make sure the mice haven't had a party over the winter.

Also want to test load the Aerotec onto the car roof to see if that's doable with the two of us.... might need that facility on holiday.
Old 12 March 2017, 10:44   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hey..perhaps there is a “rule” involved after all Cliff .. I never thought of that before.

I wonder ..do Short Shaft arms sit on the left while Long Shaft arms sit on the right side. ?

That makes total sense to me now.

Enjoy your new boat Cliff.. Im hoping to get my boating season started real soon too.
My wife calls me short shaft (Not sure it's for the same reason) 😂😂😂

I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of this year's adventures 👍
Old 12 March 2017, 10:44   #27
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff B View Post
Each to their own, I don't personally believe there are right or wrong sides for things like this!
Everyone gets issued with an opinion - it's just that there are so many people with different ones!

On smallish boats, sitting beside the engine means that being to starboard gives a bigger available turn radius - before the tiller hits you and you have to slide forward to pass it behind you. This is quite noticeable on small hard boats but isn't such an issue on SIBS.

Killcords are a different thing entirely. They are not designed to be worn around the wrist and doing so is not recommended. Maybe it's better to wear it there than not at all? Maybe - but there are other people involved - in this case your dearest and the other river users. If you insist on wearing it on your wrist then maybe you should invest in a proper wrist attachment like a velcro wrist band? Killcords slip off wrists too easily!

Kill Cord | Look After Yourself | Safe Boating | Safe Boating | Knowledge & Advice | Knowledge & Advice | RYA
Old 12 March 2017, 10:50   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>> were going to take the children out on it today but the forecast is rain

Yep that forecast here for today has switched a couple of times over the past 24hrs but it's settled to a grey drizzly day. Had planned to give the SIB its first inflate and the OB it's first start of the season for a trip round the water butt... don't want to get it all wet for packing away though.

Will at least get all the kit out on the garage floor to make sure the mice haven't had a party over the winter.

Also want to test load the Aerotec onto the car roof to see if that's doable with the two of us.... might need that facility on holiday.
Our mice had a party in our tent one winter, didn't discover the damage until we were pitched up in France. 😔

Is there anything we can do to minimise the risk of mice damage?

It's grey and miserable here today, I'm in the kitchen frying bacon staring out the window looking at the boat.

I thought about the roof rack for holidays, but feel it's too much kit to take along with everything else we have to take. Would be nice though.
Old 12 March 2017, 10:51   #29

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

Killcords are a different thing entirely. They are not designed to be worn around the wrist and doing so is not recommended. Maybe it's better to wear it there than not at all? Maybe - but there are other people involved - in this case your dearest and the other river users. If you insist on wearing it on your wrist then maybe you should invest in a proper wrist attachment like a velcro wrist band? Killcords slip off wrists too easily!

Kill Cord | Look After Yourself | Safe Boating | Safe Boating | Knowledge & Advice | Knowledge & Advice | RYA
Thanks for posting willk, I'd given up on continuing that argument less I be labeled even more pedantic or some kind of dictator but if someone wants to sit on the 'wrong' side of the tiller fair enough - kill cords are another kettle of fish and not on the wrist is a rule that should be obeyed if not for the sake of your own legs then someone else's who has the misfortune to be sharing the water space when you get ejected.
Old 12 March 2017, 11:04   #30
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Thanks for posting willk, I'd given up on continuing that argument less I be labeled even more Poly pedantic or some kind of John Kennett dictator .
Hah, you and I are not like that!

Maybe the issue here is the use of the word "rule"? It's not in the Colregs so maybe "rule" raises some hackles?
Old 12 March 2017, 11:35   #31

It's the use of words like "ARGUMENT" in a post that can rub people up the wrong way or make others not interested in your opinions.

As a new sibber I'll welcome any input passed my way. But it's the way some people choose to pass that information. Next time out I'll clip the kill cord to jacket 👍
Old 12 March 2017, 13:48   #32

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Well, there were quite a few 's, 's and 's in all the posts and generally most of us on here try to pass on advice in a friendly, gentle matter.

I don't think any of us pro-Starboard or offering advice as to why they believe it is better suited and makes more sense in terms of control or safety to sit one side used the word 'rule' and would argue the comments coming after were the attacking ones making an 'argument' but there you go, some like to try and do that sadly!

Sitting one side or the other is not a 'rule' but just many think, myself included, that the OB makers designed it this way and many pro's follow this - the proper RNLI guys in Y Classes I was thinking rather than the 'Baywatch' glory boys (see the 'wink' there = lighthearted remark) who don't even wear kill cords I believe in the Arancia type surf rescue boats.

Obviously wearing a kill cord round your wrist (not on a purpose made wrist strap) is better than not at all but if you're going to wear one then why not give it the best chance of doing it's job was all we were saying.
Old 12 March 2017, 14:28   #33
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
You are all doing it wrong tillers are for WAFIs, ;-) whilst I essentially agree with the comments here about kill cords, I'd like to point out that on tiller steered OB's the manufacturer often suggests the arm or leg is the right place. I thought the downside with the wrist was it was more likely to get entangled in things like the wheel/gear lever etc, which is less likely to be an issue on a tiller steered boat.
Old 12 March 2017, 14:36   #34
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I thought the downside with the wrist was it was more likely to get entangled in things like the wheel/gear lever etc, which is less likely to be an issue on a tiller steered boat.
I've often found that I had to remove a wrist tethered cord when underway to do things - particularly coming alongside. Leg removes that issue. Granted I've forgotten it was there a few times and killed the motor as I disembarked - leaving the remaining driver somewhat nonplussed...

Old 12 March 2017, 16:27   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Hah, you and I are not like that!

Maybe the issue here is the use of the word "rule"? It's not in the Colregs so maybe "rule" raises some hackles?

Achh..in fairness to myself Willk..I put the word .. rule .. in “” as I wasn’t completely happy using it in the context.. but I didn’t think it would cause a nit pick on my grammar in a boat forum .

With hindsight ..I should have used words like “laws of physics” instead. ..as Im aware the reasons some sit on the right tube..which includes ..torque .. Restricted tiller swing...and gear lever access.

In fact.. Its because of the restricted tiller movement that I (and many others) choose to mount the aux engine on the right and side of the main tiller engine .. as its easy for a skipper sitting on the left to slide forward ..while the right mounted aux engine doesn’t bind on the main’s tiller.

I find the Aux will restrict the Main’s movement .. if its mounted on the left side of the main OB. It certainly restricts my movement if its on the right of the main and I sit on the right.

Which is a very good reason why I sit on the left .. (if I didn’t sit on the bench bang in the middle.)

Therefore ... I stick with my original thoughts and opinion.. that what is good for one person is not always good for another as we all have different setups .. requirements...and physiques

To clarify ..IMO (and perhaps going by 50% of others who posted to this thread) ... to suggest otherwise is being “a perfectionist ..precisionist ..over exacting ..meticulous and fussy”..which why I chose the word pedantic Max.

I have not mentioned kill cords in any of my post to this thread so keeping out that debate.
Old 12 March 2017, 16:47   #36

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
So what side are you 'meant' to sit when the tiller arm is in the middle of the engine? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 12 March 2017, 17:17   #37

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Kill cord attachment the dog clip would be best to a ring on the life jacket or pocket loop I guess but the cord isn't long enough for me so have a lanyard round my leg with a loop long enough to give me movement result of killing the engine too many times as willk says