Old 12 November 2020, 18:33   #21

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
So much depends on what it is they are going to change in the carb. I'd be fascinated to know but sadly rarely does a customer get the absolute truth.
Old 12 November 2020, 18:45   #22

Town: Paignton
Make: sunsport
Engine: Mercury 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
So much depends on what it is they are going to change in the carb. I'd be fascinated to know but sadly rarely does a customer get the absolute truth.
I'll try and find out.
Old 12 November 2020, 20:17   #23

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
If you decide to keep the engine rather than return under the 30 days ask the dealer to at least tank test the engine to ensure its all working as it should, hope it all works out for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsport350 View Post
They are waiting parts which should arrive Friday so guessing it's a repair, will post when I know for sure.
Old 12 November 2020, 20:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskylee View Post
If you decide to keep the engine rather than return under the 30 days ask the dealer to at least tank test the engine to ensure its all working as it should, hope it all works out for you
He has already said he would do this, I trust the dealer and Mercury are involved. To be fair they showed me how to operate the OB in a tank when I picked it up and it was working ok.
Old 12 November 2020, 20:25   #25

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
That's great, would be worth being there when it's tested so you can be Infront of the engine and have confidence for your next boating trip
Quote:
He has already said he would do this, I trust the dealer and Mercury are involved.
Old 12 November 2020, 20:27   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskylee View Post
That's great, would be worth being there when it's tested so you can be Infront of the engine and have confidence for your next boating trip
Yes I must admit I wont be going too far for a few trips until I feel confident it will be ok. The dealer actually suggested the same.
Old 12 November 2020, 21:14   #27

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Yes I must admit I wont be going too far for a few trips until I feel confident it will be ok. The dealer actually suggested the same.

Forgive me, but if I’d just shelled out for a new engine, I’d want to be able to put absolute trust in it. At the end of the day, it’s your money & your choice. But I think you’re giving the seller an easy time.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2020, 21:32   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Forgive me, but if I’d just shelled out for a new engine, I’d want to be able to put absolute trust in it. At the end of the day, it’s your money & your choice. But I think you’re giving the seller an easy time.
If I had a brand new one I wouldn't trust it at first. You make a good point, I'll see what repair has been done and take it from there.
Old 13 November 2020, 18:40   #29

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
If I had a brand new one I wouldn't trust it at first. You make a good point, I'll see what repair has been done and take it from there.
The failure rate on vehicles is higher in the first few months than it is after the first year, simply because all the gremlins get ironed out. I've also worked on several new build ships & again the list of remedial items needing attention in the early years can be substantial, as the ships age they hit reliability because the gremlins get sorted.
I wouldn't be at all bothered that something as relatively complex as an outboard needed a fairly minor repair in its first few hours provided I was confident in the ability of the repairer.
If everyone demanded a replacement for an engine or vehicle because of teething troubles I'm sure the dealers would soon get fed up getting lumbered with slightly used engines in stock.
Old 13 November 2020, 18:43   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
The failure rate on vehicles is higher in the first few months than it is after the first year, simply because all the gremlins get ironed out. I've also worked on several new build ships & again the list of remedial items needing attention in the early years can be substantial, as the ships age they hit reliability because the gremlins get sorted.
I wouldn't be at all bothered that something as relatively complex as an outboard needed a fairly minor repair in its first few hours provided I was confident in the ability of the repairer.
If everyone demanded a replacement for an engine or vehicle because of teething troubles I'm sure the dealers would soon get fed up getting lumbered with slightly used engines in stock.
My best mate, a well qualified mechanic, would agree with you. The shop is going to show me it running tomorrow. My mate said it would probably be better than having a new one.
Old 13 November 2020, 21:07   #31

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Quote:
My best mate, a well qualified mechanic, would agree with you. The shop is going to show me it running tomorrow. My mate said it would probably be better than having a new one.
I would agree with that
Old 14 November 2020, 08:42   #32

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-...ft-seal-issue/
Old 14 November 2020, 10:19   #33

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post

That’s the big ship equivalent of an outboard’s PDI, ie. before it’s handed over to the customer.
Pleased though that they did get the leak fixed on QE.
Old 14 November 2020, 10:54   #34

Picked the OB up today, ran sweet in the tank. The carb has had a new O ring, gasket and the carb had to be filed. It's all been tested and hopefully good to go. The OB was bought from Bridger Marine and they have been excellent throughout getting the OB sorted even though they are closed due to Covid, turned it around in 4 days. Barrus UK (Mercury UK) supported me too. I believe a good test of a company is when things go wrong and Bridger Marine IMO did a good job. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 14 November 2020, 12:41   #35

>>>and the carb had to be filed

Wow... wouldn't have expected that as a repair on any new OB carb... fingers crossed there was some logic to doing that rather than replacing whatever needed filing.
Old 14 November 2020, 12:53   #36

Quote:

Wow... wouldn't have expected that as a repair on any new OB carb... fingers crossed there was some logic to doing that rather than replacing whatever needed filing.
They have done the same repair to one other OB the same as mine.
Old 14 November 2020, 15:08   #37

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
I am sure you will now be good to go.... Well done and hats off to Bridger Marine
Old 14 November 2020, 20:16   #38

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:

Likely depends on what needed to be filed & how much needed to be taken off.

Wonder if this particular carb has a manufacturing defect & any replacement would be the same?
Old 14 November 2020, 21:30   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Likely depends on what needed to be filed & how much needed to be taken off.

Wonder if this particular carb has a manufacturing defect & any replacement would be the same?
I was told there were a small batch of these OBs with the same problem. It started cold on the second pull and ran fine so should be fine, still got 5 year warranty left.
Old 15 November 2020, 09:02   #40

My interest in this really is that I've been working on engines all my life from teen onwards to current old guy status and every problem and resolution adds to the mental database so if you happen to be talking to them again I'd love to know *exactly* what they filed down on the carb. Also over the past couple of years I've had two examples of this very carb type apart several times and I'm not sure what I could or would have filed to stop fuel flowing out so that doubles the interest.