Old 25 April 2011, 15:59   #1

Town: great wakering
Boat name: mine
Make: narwal
Length: 3m +
Engine: 1x40hp outboard
filling tube with foam?

can anyone please tell me whether its true than a tube can be filled with expanding foam.
i have a small leak of which i cannot locate...looking for other options i can use.. innertubes....foam....call the repair man (are they reasonably priced??)
Old 25 April 2011, 16:28   #2

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I absolutely would not use expanding foam.
Old 25 April 2011, 16:36   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sye68 View Post
can anyone please tell me whether its true than a tube can be filled with expanding foam.
Well of course it's true. The question is whether it would be an improvement or not. I suspect it would not.

Best bet would be to call in a professional (if you're not up to tackling it yourself.) Plenty of inflatable boat shops there (not so much in the US); shouldn't be too hard to get at least an estimate.

jky
Old 25 April 2011, 17:48   #4

stick some sealer in through the valves,same sort of stuff you fix car tyres temporaly with,that should find and stop the leak,theres a thread running about it at the moment
Old 25 April 2011, 18:02   #5

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Suerly once its pumped up,just spray some soapy water over it ,eliminating each section untill you find the puncture bubbling up.
Old 25 April 2011, 18:11   #6

Town: London
Boat name: Janey
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard Yamaha 20hp
Yep,
You definitely can fill them up with foam. It's a trick that works well with totally knackered tubes that are beyond viable financial repair or so badly damaged that it's not worth the time.
Whack some foam in and you have a boat with a couple more years of life left in. Don't use them in swell though they snap! I know from experience.
Get the tube filler. I think there's a thread on here somewhere about specific maritime grade stuff, not unlike innertube liquid called "Slime".
Don't do the foam thing!!!!!
Old 25 April 2011, 19:21   #7

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
foam filled

I just bought a rib that the owner tried to fill with expending foam. Well he did not try , he did fill them and it expanded to the point it pulled the longitudinal seams apart. Not a bright idea from what I can see. Although there must be a correct amount at which it would work.
Old 25 April 2011, 21:10   #8

would nt do it, full stop,INFLATABLE thats what it means,if you gonna fill it up with foam,might has well buy a Hard boat?
Old 26 April 2011, 05:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
would nt do it, full stop,INFLATABLE thats what it means,if you gonna fill it up with foam,might has well buy a Hard boat?
I see your point, but there are advantages to foam collars: solid fendering, no punctures on sharp stuff, and buoyancy to boot. But they're not made by filling an inflatable with foam...

jky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	58703  
Old 26 April 2011, 05:34   #10

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
i have a small leak of which i cannot locate...looking for other options i can use.. innertubes....foam....call the repair man (are they reasonably priced??)
I agree with the advice you're getting above about expanding foam, and I don't think it would do any good in your circumstances either - you wouldn't have cured your leak, so you'd end up with a tube filled with waterlogged foam.

Fix the leak, that's the answer
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2011, 11:51   #11

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Welcome to Ribnet, by the way!

As said, problem is that once the foam is in there, you may as well have bought a dory! If you have ever tried pulling a dory up a slip, you'll know why I wouldn't bother! All of the above reasons why not are valid!

I guess if it;s a Narwhal it's going to be PVC. This means its a bit more difficult to get the glue to stick, but otherwise it's a bit like fixing a puncture on a bike. You can buy the spray things empty in garden centres for a few quid, or if you are nowhere near a gardening shop, a good clean out of your favourite kitchen surface cleaner will do the same job. Then put a nice soapy mix of water in there (anyold washing up liquid will do) and spray over the toobs. Can also use a paint brush & a jar of spapy water. Doing it with a brush means it doesn't bubble on the way out the nozzle, so easier to spot the leaks. Also before you start on the ooobs wort ha good painting of the valves.....

Just be aware that unless you find it almost instantly the place will become like a skating rink, so probably a good idea if poss to get the hull drain plug over a drain so at least some of it goes direct to ground. As said, once you find the bubbles, it's "simply" a case of applying a patch, but as I've not ever owned a PVC boat, I'll hand you over to the PVC experts for the next bit's expert tips.....
Old 26 April 2011, 13:10   #12

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
I see your point, but there are advantages to foam collars: solid fendering, no punctures on sharp stuff, and buoyancy to boot. But they're not made by filling an inflatable with foam...

jky
Solid fenderimg may have a use but its important to realise that these are filled with closed cell foam - water can't pass from one cell to the next. All that happens if you use the expanding stuff is (assuming you don't burst the toobs first) that they eventually flood with water and you have the additional weight of a water filled sponge putting a load on the tube/hull join.

As far as the OP is concerned - foollow the advice already given - don't do it!!

Also a member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2011, 15:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Solid fenderimg may have a use but its important to realise that these are filled with closed cell foam
Actually, they're molded out of stuff, and bolted to the hull. Some sort of closed cell polyethylene foam.

Quote:
As far as the OP is concerned - foollow the advice already given - don't do it!!
I think I made that point as well, in my first post.

jky
Old 26 April 2011, 20:10   #14

Town: great wakering
Boat name: mine
Make: narwal
Engine: 1x40hp outboard
thanking you

i thank you all for your trusted advice, it seems that the common advice is to find the leak with soapy water of some kind...this isnt going to be all that easy i guess...ho hum such is life, as ive already stated im a complete green horn with this here' ribbbing'. but so looking forward to getting out on the thames esturay and beyond....but not with a leak i fear....
Old 26 April 2011, 21:25   #15

Quote:
i thank you all for your trusted advice, it seems that the common advice is to find the leak with soapy water of some kind...this isnt going to be all that easy i guess...ho hum such is life, as ive already stated im a complete green horn with this here' ribbbing'. but so looking forward to getting out on the thames esturay and beyond....but not with a leak i fear....
Hi is it a slow leak?i went out on my 4m wk end for the first time and have a least two very small slow leaks,i know were they are and will get down to fixing them at some point but well safe and takes ages to loose air,you will find them with a good througher seacrch,i also get out on the Thames estury,had my best fishing ever out there.
Old 27 April 2011, 22:33   #16

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Actually, they're molded out of stuff, and bolted to the hull. Some sort of closed cell polyethylene foam.

I think I made that point as well, in my first post.

jky
Sorry - quite so - didn't mean to imply otherwise. Just hoping to re-inforce the point for the OP

Also a member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote