Old 21 September 2017, 16:25   #1

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
filling the void on infkatable keel sibs

Had anyone played around padding out the space between the inside of the floor and the underside of the air deck for a stiffer floor hence better planning? My air deck curves upright under the pressure of the keel and there is a lot of free space either side of the keel in that void, this must allow the underside of the floor to move about and upward on the plane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170921_155252.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	121937  
Old 21 September 2017, 16:57   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
The shape of the curve will affect the handling. If you have two convex surfaces, one each side of the keel, it will generate lift and stability.
Old 21 September 2017, 18:43   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
My floor is like a drum skin when pumped up correctly I don't see any benefit in trying to pack the space out but I would see the benefit in replacing the inflatable keel for a wooden one as the bombard C3 Tec has
Old 21 September 2017, 18:50   #4

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Engine: Johnson 25
Your airfloor should also have wooden slats underneath since it is a "airmat" it would be more beneficial if these were made stronger as to not bend so much and more of them in my eyes.

Or even better again if it stays inflated. Buy/make a solid floor.
Old 21 September 2017, 20:21   #5

The air deck does have one wood slat that sits under the tubes keeping the widest part of the keel pushed down hard and deep but as the keel runs to the stern there is a huge amount of space between the underneath or the air deck and the floor and the floor when pushed up from the underside it does seem on the whole firm but there must be a lot of movement of the floor to the underside of the air deck when the sib is crashing down on large waves and even on hitting smaller ones whilst on the plane, I say this because I remember watching the way a non keel wood slat floor moved and rippled greatly once on the plane, I know the air deck curves around the keel at the bow to the the stern but there is still a lot of space at the stern for the floor to move up other than at the tubes where it is held tight no?
Old 21 September 2017, 20:36   #6

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Engine: Johnson 25
I agree with you there. It probably does still move be that either wood, Ali or air Matt floor.

I have a t38 which is a v air floor and can literally stand on it when the boat is upside down and it doesn't move with my weight. But when in the water does have a slightly ripple

I don't think any sib is perfect it's always a compromise between portability, weight, size & performance. But we should just be lucky whatever we have to get out on the water.

Sent from my XT1562 using RIB Net mobile app
Old 21 September 2017, 20:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossymtb View Post
I agree with you there. It probably does still move be that either wood, Ali or air Matt floor.

I have a t38 which is a v air floor and can literally stand on it when the boat is upside down and it doesn't move with my weight. But when in the water does have a slightly ripple

I don't think any sib is perfect it's always a compromise between portability, weight, size & performance. But we should just be lucky whatever we have to get out on the water.

Sent from my XT1562 using RIB Net mobile app
True and we want the 'most' possible from them lol

I have a v hull and it's ok with one person but a few people putting weight directly on the floor makes a difference but that's a whole different story, I'm thinking about a wood or Aliminium floor for the v floor to keep all weight off the V and spread to the sides, stern and bow

Tags
sib