Old 10 August 2011, 23:22   #1

Town: San Francisco
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 40
FC470 speed tubes falling off

Anyone else having problems with the inside seam of their speed tubes holders ripping off the bottom of the boat? If so, how did you fix it? Curious cause I'm afraid it will be a ongoing problem.
Old 11 August 2011, 06:31   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
My Zodiac is old, as in 1992, and I have not had a single problem with the speed tubes glue decaying. Everywhere else yes. Did someone store your boat upside down?

Also just curious what you plan to use your boat for around the SF Bay Area? I primarily use mine to dive from.
Old 11 August 2011, 10:49   #3

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
a picture would be useful to see exactly what is going on, how old is your boat is it still in warranty think zodiac give a 5 year warranty against manufacturing defects
Old 11 August 2011, 15:12   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I thought they had recently boosted tubes to 10 years (that may be incorrect though. From what a Zodiac owner told me shortly after buying.)

jky
Old 11 August 2011, 15:19   #5

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Your fc470 is hypalon? All hypalon seams are glued. Glued seams are susceptible to failure over time. UV (sunlight) does not directly degrade the glue in seams. The UV is blocked by the overlying material. It is heat that accelerates the process. Even boats that are stored out of direct exposure, but in a hot location will have issues eventually. Storing the boat in a cool dry location definitley increases its lifespan.

On my futura (pvc) the side seams of the speed tubes are thermo welded. You will rarely see failure of thermo welded seams. Peter C also has a PVC futura. His experience may not be applicable to your vessel. My speed tubes have had issues with seam failure at the very front where they are glued. I opened up all failing sections of the tube cover seams and reglued. The repairs have held well for years of abuse. You should be able to pull apart all of the seam that will separate without damaging the underlying material and reglue the tube cover. If that is more than you are comfortable doing then looking for a local inflatable repair facility is the way to go.

If you are considering repairing the boat yourself be sure to follow the linked instructions, particularly the environmental restrictions. A properly re glued seam will give you years of use. I will be re gluing my transom where previous repairs by the original owner are failing. The PO used outdated glue and did not follow the environmental guides. My other repairs have not deteriorated. Only you can determine if the overall condition of the boat is worth the effort, but I assure you that proper repairs do hold up whether they are on Hypalon or pvc.

Information From ShipStore.com | Hypalon-Neoprene Inflatable Boat Fabric Gluing Repair Instructions | HYPNEO from the ShipStore.com ™ on-line catalog.

Instructions for PVC gluing are linked off that page.

Prepped for glue.

Old 12 August 2011, 20:37   #6

Town: San Francisco
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 40
Kelson, thanks for the information, finding it very helpful. The boat is all hypalon, 2001, navic p. Looks as though the PO did a lousy repair on the area that let go. Dumped most of my budget on the Evinrude ETEC 40, and planned on a boat that could be a project. Definitely glad I reached out for info before I took on the repair, everything else I've found isn't as detail oriented as the link you provided. Fortunately I have access to a climate controlled garage to attempt the repairs.

Peter, thanks for the response. The boats real purpose is for surf photography and to access remote breaks up north. But I imagine I will also tell attractive young women in San Francisco I own a "boat" which will no longer entirely be a lie. Locally I think we might try for some stripers, take out my ab diver buddies, camp Angel Island, watch the Americas Cup, and booze cruise out by Giants stadium on a nice playoff night.

Thanks again.