Old 21 October 2022, 23:02   #1

Town: Melbourne
Boat name: FC470
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury SeaPro 55hp
FC470 - 3 Power Options, Advice Appreciated

Hi all I recently purchased a 2014 FC470 (solid floor) from the Australian military auctions. As other have stated these come with a short shaft (15”) transom. I was also able to purchase a 55hp long shaft (20”) Mercury SeaPro. I have three options and would appreciate some advice.

1. Sell the Mercury, I have access to a 50hp short shaft Tohatsu off a Thundercat , install it and be done.

2. Infill the transom gap (dowels/glue etc), level it out and install a CMK transom cap. This will make the transom approx 18.5-19”, install the 20” Mercury.

3. Infill the transom gap (dowels/glue etc), but this time go to 20” like the current FC’s. Custom make a stainless cap, like the CMK one but now contoured to fit the new shape, install the Mercury. (Making sure I am within the weight limitations)

I have access to a boat builders yard, CNCs etc and some good help. Not sure what the best option is to ensure it performs as well as it should for what it is.
Old 21 October 2022, 23:29   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip3662 View Post
Hi all I recently purchased a 2014 FC470 (solid floor) from the Australian military auctions. As other have stated these come with a short shaft (15”) transom. I was also able to purchase a 55hp long shaft (20”) Mercury SeaPro. I have three options and would appreciate some advice.

1. Sell the Mercury, I have access to a 50hp short shaft Tohatsu off a Thundercat , install it and be done.

2. Infill the transom gap (dowels/glue etc), level it out and install a CMK transom cap. This will make the transom approx 18.5-19”, install the 20” Mercury.

3. Infill the transom gap (dowels/glue etc), but this time go to 20” like the current FC’s. Custom make a stainless cap, like the CMK one but now contoured to fit the new shape, install the Mercury. (Making sure I am within the weight limitations)

I have access to a boat builders yard, CNCs etc and some good help. Not sure what the best option is to ensure it performs as well as it should for what it is.
I’d install a jackplate.

Or #3
Old 21 October 2022, 23:33   #3

Appreciated greatly
Old 22 October 2022, 03:36   #4

Town: San Diego
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard, Diesel
I’ve chimed in in the past to build up the transom to 20”.

However, if you have a good 50hp Tohatsu, I suggest putting it on the boat and get out on the water ASAP. No point in sitting around wondering how the the boat will run. Go have some fun!

If you don’t like the way it handles, then consider putting in all the hard work to build it up.

I’ll bet you’ll leave it alone with the Tohatsu 50. If
Old 22 October 2022, 04:11   #5

Appreciate the reply, seeing what this young bloke wants for the 50. If it’s stupid or appears beaten hard then I’ll build it up with the 55.

I’m super lucky to love literally over the river from a boat builder who saw it today and could CNC a piece of hardwood tomorrow for the infill and then dowel it with all-thread and epoxy. Then I just glass it or make a stainless cap.

But I’d rather be on the water lol - Summers coming !

Let see how much for the 50
Old 22 October 2022, 06:31   #6

Town: San Diego
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard, Diesel
Go for it! If it’s that’s quick, build it up and get on the water.

Where do you live? I assume Australia…?? I’m ready for winter and snow… ski season is weeks away here!