Old 28 May 2013, 21:06   #1

Town: South West
Boat name: Das Boot
Make: Honwave T40
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu, 20
Falmouth Advice!

Hi,

I am planning on a travelling down to Falmouth with my Honwave T40 on Thursday. Aim to launch around 10am from the slipway by the maritime museum (not sure exactly when I will get there or recover so not planning on Mylor). Intend to camp over night then have a bit more fun on the water Friday before driving home.

The weather is looking a bit troublesome though, NNW winds at 18 mph gusting 32 mph on Thursday and 15 mph gusting 26 mph on Friday (which according to my RYA handbook is somewhere between "Getting interesting" and "Do something else").

I don't really want to travel 200+ miles to think "sod this" after few mins on the water. The forecast suggests this will be the case, but with the wind blowing from the land (albeit straight down the channel) does this mean it won't be all that bad? If so where would be OK to travel and any tips?

It's rare I get the chance to take my sib on the sea and while I don't mind if it's a bit cold and wet, I don't want to travel all that way if it is dangerous. I'll launch at Lechlade and potter about the Thames instead. Would much rather go to Cornwall though

Thanks

Matt
Old 28 May 2013, 21:19   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
NNW is bang offshore, so you should be OK everywhere. However, 32mph is a bit rich.

You're correct in that it could get a bit choppy out in the Roads (Carrick) with a Northerly blowing, You may be better off heading out and around Pendennis Point and running across the Bay.
Where are you planning on camping.
Old 28 May 2013, 21:39   #3

Town: South West
Boat name: Das Boot
Make: Honwave T40
Engine: Tohatsu, 20
Thanks Mollers,

If I can go out into the bay all the better! I take it I would need to hug the coast a bit or could I go straight across to Helford?

I'm not sure where I'm camping yet. I have a list of campsites stored on my phone. Penwarne Farm and Namparra (on the Lizard) are the most likely at the moment.

Any suggestions?