Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 01 August 2021, 00:07   #1

Length: 3m +
Fair value of this Avon S4.00 with 30HP 2-stroke?

Thought I posted this but it didn't show so I'm repeating it, though shorter... If the other also shows up, apologies for the duplication. This pair are in the USA.

1992 Avon Supersport S4.00, aluminum floor model, with a Mariner 30HP 2-stroke outboard. Both are near perfect. The boat has not a mark on the underside, the tubes or the floor components. All the original parts are there; oars, carry bags, instructions, pump, pressure gauge, repair kit, bilge pump, tube of talc (?) etc. The stringers are still in the original cardboard box and the serial number plate still has it's green protective plastic wrap. The only marks showing any use at all are outboard clamp marks on the transom. No patches or repairs, holds air, all the valves are good and it basically looks like new. Both appear to have only been used a couple of times and have been in inside storage for many years.

Apart from scratches on the motor cover, the outboard is in as good a shape and starts & runs well.

I can't find any comparable boats for an idea of a fair asking price and hope I can get some feedback/ideas.

Thanks,

Flea
Old 01 August 2021, 05:24   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I don't know what the US market is like, but in the UK, with the pandemic its reduced supply of boats and increased the second hand market value. It will self adjust I'm sure in time as people offload summer purchases.

Back to your question. Approach this with a level head. Even if the boat is near mint, it's 1992, so nearly 30 years old, just keep reminding yourself that. Avon S4.00's are hypalon, so depending how it's been stored, then no reason this isn't still in good condition.

Here's an S4.00 for sale here, slightly older than yours, so $1,100. https://boats-from.co.uk/avon/avon-s...ghy-rib-441366

The engine if mint is probably worth the same again.

This is for sale too, but a RIB not a SIB with 30hp outboard.
https://boats-from.co.uk/avon/avon-s...400-rib-334130
Old 10 August 2021, 04:05   #3

Length: 3m +
Thanks Spartacus.

I don't really know what the US market is like either but I've posted it on Ebay US for $2400 obo and soon enough I'm guessing I'll have a better idea of the US market..

The boat is really is in fantastic shape and from the other much older Avons I have/had, it should last for many more years. Under the engine cover it looks like it still has the original factory grease on the cables, looks immaculate inside. I think with the heavy aluminum floor and overall weight, shipping is going to be the problem.

We'll see.
Old 10 August 2021, 08:44   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Let us know how you get on. If the price is too high you can always drop it. Are you planning to buy something to replace it?
Old 15 March 2022, 15:19   #5

Town: Wauwatosa, WI
Boat name: boat
Make: Avon; Defender
Engine: Mariner
I am responding to an old post because I am desperate! I have an Avon spitfire 4.0 with aluminum floor boards but the first board is made of wood. I brought it in for service and they lost it. Any chance you have the dimensions of it and/or could send a picture of it? It comes in two pieces and I have the smaller of the two pieces. I would buy another one in a minute!

Tags
avon