Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 17 February 2015, 17:19   #1

Length: 7m +
Exchange keel valve position on the Avon 3.40 Supersport

Hello,
My name is Filipe and I am from Portugal. I am old here on the forum but new posting. I had a Avon 3.15 Inflatable with rolling deck for 4 years and still on top condition. I just bought an Avon 3.40 Supersport from ebay. Item 251791829887. The supersport had plywood panels but this was sold to me only with a inflatable Keel (I think it is from a Avon Rover 3.40).

The problem is that the keel have a valve like the 3.15. However this valve is not matched with the hole for the keel valve of the air deck floor. (Since the airfloor was not for that boat). The keel valve is like 30cms behing (more to the center of the boat) of the hole of the deck floor. The old seller was using like this. I do not want to use like this basicly because you need to inflate all the boat including the keel and only after you put the deck air floor on it and inflate. The keel valve will make a huge pressure (because the cap) on the bottom of the deck floor since is not aligned with the hole.

What I want to know:

It is possible for me to remove the valve from the place it is and close the valve hole on the keel or I will have problems sealing the old valve hole? My idea would be move the valve to the front to be aligned with the air keel. If not Does anyone has dimensions/size of the original deck floor?

As seen on the photo, near the transom the air floor deck has two flanges. Does anyone knows why I need them?

Thank you and regards,
Filipe
Old 19 February 2015, 20:10   #2

Town: Povoa S Iria Lisbon Port
Boat name: Açores
Make: Ocean Bay
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 15 hp
"photo"
Old 19 February 2015, 20:29   #3

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
The rover3.40 is a RIB (solid hull) with solid deck, well mine is at least.

Photos here. 11ft Inflatable dinghy | eBay

Waltham abbey is along way to go to pick up a £600 boat from portugal.....
Old 21 February 2015, 07:51   #4

I do not know why it is always more important to question why I bought the boat from a place than discuss the techincal question I asked before. I did not bought it for £600 and I was taking a friends car from UK home and so it was on the way.
Old 21 February 2015, 08:23   #5

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Chill out I was helping you by hyperlinking to the eBay photos, so that others could view them more easily.

It was an observation, I guessed you hadn't msde a special trip to collect the boat....

Don't worry I won't try to help you again.
Old 21 February 2015, 19:24   #6

Sorry for it, my main language is not English. I want to mean is that for some stuff it is difficult to try to get help but other things gets people attention. Thank you for the photos and please do not take me wrong.
Old 21 February 2015, 19:48   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I would think it would be possible to relocate the valve. I'd guess an inside plus outside patch over the vacant hole, and possibly a doubler patch whereever the valve gets relocated to.

jky