Old 06 February 2020, 12:35   #61

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Agree with that decision Jeff. The Aerotec has a rail with handholds but on SIBs equipped like yours I've found the standard rope as fitted to be very hard on the hand and too stiff... I like a softer rope that "flops" nicely.
Old 06 February 2020, 12:46   #62

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Here you go sorry about the glare on the first one very sunny south facing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOTTOM OF SPLICE.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	132049   Click image for larger version

Name:	TOP OF SPLICE.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	132050  
Old 06 February 2020, 12:50   #63

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Agree with that decision Jeff. The Aerotec has a rail with handholds but on SIBs equipped like yours I've found the standard rope as fitted to be very hard on the hand and too stiff... I like a softer rope that "flops" nicely.
your right David the rope is slippy when wet too and since i'm going to use it to pull myself along the tube when getting in with the ladder it's going to be a lot better with the grip & softness of the new rope
Old 06 February 2020, 13:01   #64

RIBase
Boat clothing & accessories

as a continuation to boat kit i thought i would just add what i use & wear to suit me.
first surface drysuit breathable,3mm seals, front entry [no need for pee zip], hard sole neoprene boots, one pocket for gloves, reflective tape & braces for holding the bottom up if you need a breather. i bought this because its designed to wear for long periods and does what it says on the tin.

next the buoyancy aid i use most of the time it's a wildwater kayaking foam buoyancy aid with most of the buoyancy at the front it keeps my head above water and turns me the correct way up [tried it], i have more than enough buoyancy in my drysuit to keep me afloat so the kayak buoyancy aid will and does do for me, it has plenty of pockets for my PLB, radio, net knife [round nose], whistle & strobe [auto activated by water].

next is my clothing accessories a gath geddy full face visor helmet, motorcycle balaclava a god send when its raining even worn on its own with swimming goggles, two pairs of gloves neoprene and waterproof fur lined rubber a must on cold days & finally a kayak neoprene hat it's better than a wool hat if its a bit windy keeps the sun off the bald head and doesnt blow off.

last is my auto life jacket 190N i wear this if its rough with my radio etc clipped onto it not ideal but its a backup if i get caught out with weather mind its got to be bad for me to wear it and it's very rare i have a need for it but better having it than not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DRY SURFACE SUIT.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	132054   Click image for larger version

Name:	FOAM BOUYANCY JACKET.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	132055   Click image for larger version

Name:	AUTO INFLATE LIFE JACKET.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	132056   Click image for larger version

Name:	BAD WEATHER ACCESSORIES.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	132057  
Old 12 February 2020, 14:19   #65

RIBase
cooking and eating kit

to carry on the theme of the full set up, last up is my wild camping kit pretty light weight and without listing it all a new addition is a jetboil great piece of kit takes it 90 seconds to boil a mug of water, they aren't cheap but i got one for £68 inc post, there are other makes just as good and a lot cheaper.
i mostly go for dehydrated food because its easy but nice to have a steak on the first night and carry plenty of eggs you always have a meal then.
fruit bars, tea, coffee, soup, bread etc.

the storage bin is an old chutney container i put a thread up of them sub £30 delivered all you need is wash them out and fit a seal in the lid, although i doubt you would need one just for splashes with them having a screw thread top, just the right height to sit on and can double up as a toilet with the use of bin liners and a bit of pipe insulation to sit on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	draft excluder seal fitted.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	132117   Click image for larger version

Name:	all the kit inside with room for food.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	132118   Click image for larger version

Name:	lid on ready to go.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	132119  
Old 12 February 2020, 14:27   #66

RIBase
for some reason this didnt download should be first

gas wise just behind the fly spray is a heater i just bought £10 from go outdoors says 2 kw tried it out it's really hot ive had to adapt it to fit my stove and it needs the jetboil stand on the gas cartridge to prevent it falling over but well worth having.
the two 100g jetboil cartridges will boil 24ltr of water between them more than enough for a three day trip and all cartridges are interchangeable and for cold weather use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cooking and eating kit.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	132120  
Old 12 February 2020, 15:51   #67

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
for some reason this didnt download should be first

gas wise just behind the fly spray is a heater i just bought £10 from go outdoors says 2 kw tried it out it's really hot ive had to adapt it to fit my stove and it needs the jetboil stand on the gas cartridge to prevent it falling over but well worth having.
the two 100g jetboil cartridges will boil 24ltr of water between them more than enough for a three day trip and all cartridges are interchangeable and for cold weather use.

“Heater” “fly spray”......not going to Scotland by any chance?[emoji1]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 16:09   #68

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
“Heater” “fly spray”......not going to Scotland by any chance?[emoji1]
Midge net, sting cream, midge spray got to done Dave for the Wild West
Old 12 February 2020, 19:33   #69

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
Nice setup boat there.

No doubt you’re looking forward to getting it on the water on a trip and tweaking things a bit more [emoji1]

Thanks for detailing the build and your camping kit.

My cooking kit isn’t much different to yours in many ways. Might pop a thread on it too when I dig it out for spring.

These threads can give us all ideas and are ideal for new comers to the hobby. [emoji1303]
Old 12 February 2020, 20:23   #70

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzago View Post
Nice setup boat there.

No doubt you’re looking forward to getting it on the water on a trip and tweaking things a bit more [emoji1]

Thanks for detailing the build and your camping kit.

My cooking kit isn’t much different to yours in many ways. Might pop a thread on it too when I dig it out for spring.

These threads can give us all ideas and are ideal for new comers to the hobby. [emoji1303]
Cheers gaz probably the best site for build threads and projects and good to get it in one place
Old 12 February 2020, 20:53   #71

RIBase

Tent and sleeping, the tent is a freedom trail Apache 4 single skin so condensation can be a problem but never been a big one for me, goes up in no time stands wind a rain although I have treated it just to be sure.
Sleeping I have a halfords air mattress cheap with a battery pump for it again up in no time.
I bought a fishing bed and 4 season sleeping bag I don't take the bed on wild camps a cheap pillow from tesco finishes the job all in I'm warm and dry with plenty of room for kit.
That's it until I get a test run.
Old 20 February 2020, 10:57   #72

RIBase
test figures from the mercury 365 xs hd
not been out with the boat as yet weather is sh--e as you know so i thought i would put up the Mercury figures to compare.

prop 10 1/4 x 10 WOT 5640 RPM max speed GPS 20 knots conditions fairly calm
prop 10 1/4 x 11 WOT 5560 RPM max speed GPS 22 knots mirror calm
prop 10 1/4 x 12 WOT 5280 RPM max speed GPS 21.5 knots conditions fairly calm.
these are only guides taken on different days in different places, tides, weather & weight.also the tacho was on the engine and not easy to read under way at speed.

fuel consumption on two different trips one the first no camping kit 43 ltrs of fuel, the other longer distance with camp kit, more fuel 70 ltrs and at the time of engine problems not being able to run at tickover both with the same prop.
first trip
10 1/4 x 11 prop weather force 5 off the land so some time in the lee
mix of plane and displacement speed one day.
49.1 miles 18 ltrs of fuel tank top to tank top.
second trip
10 1/4 x 11 prop weather a mix of calm & force 3-4 mix of plane and displacement speed over two days.
86 miles 30 ltrs of fuel estimated trip with tickover problem so high revs maintained.

10 1/4 x 11 prop

planes at around 9-10 knots flat calm, 12 knots in the chop & maintained plane in the chop at 15 knots cruising @ 3600 - 4000 RPM depending on wave height
Old 26 February 2020, 18:49   #73

Town: edinburgh
Boat name: So Tender
Make: avon
Engine: yam 30 2t
Ive been following your excel lent evolution.....your boat looks fabulous.....didnt see "fangs" kennel??......you must have itchy feet to get it wet......just add water now!!

Good job.....well done fella.....

In regards to your anchor warp, my yachty pal washes his warps and sheets in the washing machine, with a little fabric conditioner, when the wife is out!!....makes for girly soft ropes, perfect for the white collar workers.........!!
Old 26 February 2020, 19:01   #74

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum B View Post
Ive been following your excel lent evolution.....your boat looks fabulous.....didnt see "fangs" kennel??......you must have itchy feet to get it wet......just add water now!!

Good job.....well done fella.....

In regards to your anchor warp, my yachty pal washes his warps and sheets in the washing machine, with a little fabric conditioner, when the wife is out!!....makes for girly soft ropes, perfect for the white collar workers.........!!
Thanks Callum

Regarding washing ropes I'm lead to believe the washing machine is in the kitchen which is somewhere at the back of the house, since it's not in my interest to gather anymore information than that I will continue to let him above wash them along with the car
Old 26 February 2020, 19:12   #75

RIBase
Anchoring in deep water.

I had a thought when I was having problems with the engine what if I was in too deep water to anchor whilst trying to repair the engine or keep the boat facing into a head sea, it's so easy for a wave to broach the boat and turn her over. I've never bothered with a drogue /sea anchor before so it's now part of the kit ten quid from boatworld, there's some cheap bits on their site worth a look too
Old 26 February 2020, 20:54   #76
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum B View Post
Guilty as well! It can sometimes cause kinking in 3 strand but absolutely great with braid. Loads of detergent and don't skimp on the softener.

Old 26 February 2020, 22:18   #77

>>>what if I was in too deep water to anchor whilst trying to repair the engine or keep the boat facing into a head sea, it's so easy for a wave to broach the boat and turn her over. I've never bothered with a drogue /sea anchor before so it's now part of the kit ten quid from boatworld

I've carried one for a few years now Jeff. You don't have to get far off the shore on the Scottish West coast to make anchoring impractical in a smallcraft and it is useful to have some influence in how the boat sits to the wind/current/waves if a breakdown is suffered and you need to consider options.

Mine is approved for a 15ft boat... never used in anger so far but I keep meaning to test it one day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Drouge.jpg
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	132234  
Old 27 February 2020, 07:49   #78

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>what if I was in too deep water to anchor whilst trying to repair the engine or keep the boat facing into a head sea, it's so easy for a wave to broach the boat and turn her over. I've never bothered with a drogue /sea anchor before so it's now part of the kit ten quid from boatworld

I've carried one for a few years now Jeff. You don't have to get far off the shore on the Scottish West coast to make anchoring impractical in a smallcraft and it is useful to have some influence in how the boat sits to the wind/current/waves if a breakdown is suffered and you need to consider options.

Mine is approved for a 15ft boat... never used in anger so far but I keep meaning to test it one day.
much the same as the one i have by the look. your right 200m easily found useful if fishing i suppose too
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SEA ANCHOR, DROGUE .jpg
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	132240  
Old 27 February 2020, 08:29   #79

>>>200m easily found

Yep just one example... only 5mins at cruising speed heading across the sound of Jura from Carsaig bay on the mainland finds you with 200m depth.
Old 15 March 2020, 15:41   #80

RIBase
Aux engine 3.3

i picked this up today £58 off ebay spares or repair last ran 7-8 years ago and was fine. it looks pretty good to say for the year which i have no idea what that is,goes ingear ok feels like good compression and everything is lubricated and free. theres a clasp missing off the cowl and the gear lever is missing off the rusty rod any info on this engine would be greatly recieved.
i will get some fuel in her and give it a pull over see what happens
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AUX1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	132368   Click image for larger version

Name:	AUX2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	132369   Click image for larger version

Name:	AUX3.jpg