Old 25 September 2021, 07:10   #1

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
"Ever Dry" is about to get wet.

26 months after purchase the day has finally come for the good ship "Ever Dry" to loose its name!

All I have to do is follow my check sheet to make sure I get everything into the back of my trusty C-Max and we should be good to launch.
I had to play crafty yesterday to get fuel as the queues were stupid long at all our local petrol stations. Those 5ltr cans do come in handy, just park in a side street and walk in
Its looking like the last calm warm day for a while so the slip will be busy.
Hope to have a report for later this eve.
Old 25 September 2021, 07:11   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Good luck....and enjoy!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 08:29   #3

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
That's great news Oldman2

Have a good "maiden voyage"
Old 25 September 2021, 10:04   #4

Well I had to remove the back seats to get everything in. The engine trolley works well and the skate for the boat bag made easy work of getting the boat in. The bow trolley split into 2 parts is an easy fit. I'm glad though I made a cheap n cheerful cover for the outboard hood for when its in the car, would be easy to scratch it when loaded.

full to the brim.jpg

hood cover.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	full to the brim.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	138934   Click image for larger version

Name:	hood cover.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	138935  
Old 25 September 2021, 10:09   #5

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
Well I had to remove the back seats to get everything in. The engine trolley works well and the skate for the boat bag made easy work of getting the boat in. The bow trolley split into 2 parts is an easy fit. I'm glad though I made a cheap n cheerful cover for the outboard hood for when its in the car, would be easy to scratch it when loaded.

full to the brim.jpg

hood cover.jpg
That's not "full to the brim" - I can still see your head rests [emoji3]
Old 25 September 2021, 11:25   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Well this is quite exciting. I've seen this a bit late so hopefully the good ship Slightly Damp is bobbing on the sea by now. Later on much looking forward to reports of how Absolutely Soaked went.
Old 25 September 2021, 13:05   #7

Well done and exciting day. Looking forward to your cruise report
Old 25 September 2021, 16:28   #8

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Great news!
Old 25 September 2021, 17:46   #9

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Good luck old chap and tally ho
Old 25 September 2021, 20:14   #10
RIBnet Supporter

21:13 and he's not home yet. He's worse than the cat.

Old 25 September 2021, 20:16   #11

Well what a day that was. The promised sunshine never arrived, the wind was 8-10mph SE which is ok but defiantly not the mirror smooth I was hoping for. I had packed for every eventuality and unloading it all at the slip car park my first thought was "I'm gonna need a bigger boat"

I dont quite no how but I need to slim down the amount of stuff I take.
My daughter and I assembled and loaded the boat without drama, with the bow trolley taking the load it was easy to trundle it down to the water edge, I then rowed for a few yards to clear the slip as others were using it to recover craft.
A bit of choke and the Yamaha started 1st pull, I was able to idle without choke while I recovered the wheels to the up position. I made a tool to insert into the leg to aid unlocking the leg against water pressure, but clever me forgot it... They released but not as easy as planned.
We left the harbour at a sedate 5mph, outside it was 8mph or less to the limit buoyes, then a fairly bumpy ride at 15mph to the local landmark, a marooned pier head 3/4mile out. We just motored about for an hour or so, my daughter having not seen her seaside town from this perspective before. We stopped and drift fished a few times with not a sniff of a fish. After 4 different positions and still not even a bite we were getting ready to move again when I noticed the wind had shifted to NE which is a nasty direction for us, it was only 8-10mph still but with wind over tide it meant white tops to the short chop and going back to the harbour was a wet ride. If I took it easy the bow stayed down and daughter got wet, if I opened the throttle and lifted the bow I got wet but she was dry. So I got very wet!
I'm used to hard boats with keel bands and bringing an inflatable into a concrete slip I actually cut and lifted the engine and rowed the last few yards to kiss the apron gently while daughter jumped out to steady things while the old guy got over the huge tube to drop the wheels. That was my mistake, should have dropped the wheels well before making the apron. I was trying to lift both boat and engine to get the wheels to lock down, I wont make that mistake again.
I would have got the bow trolley from the car to aid recovery up the ramp but my daughter knew best and insisted the bow wasnt too heavy to lift and pull so I was relegated to pushing halfheartedly. I really wanted to use that trolley!
The next 30mins were not pleasant really, quite a bit of water had made its way into the boat, so we had to empty everything out, open the drain and raise to bow to head height for a while to dump out as much as possible. We then used towels to dry out the floor and air floor before folding the boat etc into their bags.
Now for some reason my car had shrunk while we were gone because only two 3rds of what we brought would fit on the return loading, we did get it all packed in the end but that something I need to pay more attention to in future to get it all in.
Then of course I have tomorrow to look forward to, washing and getting dry everything that got wet & repacking the boat with more care, I couldnt bring myself to pack it nice and tightly knowing I have to take it back apart tomorrow.
So did the boat behave like I thought it should? Well Ive never owned and inflatable before, it felt a bit strange at speed having slugs of air rolling down under the floor, well I assume it was air, maybe it was wave action. It wasnt anything that worried me too much, the boat seemed a little twitchy at speed with small tiller movements producing larger than I expected direction changes.
It sat while we drifted & fished very stable and was a dry boat until those NE's so I cant complain at all really.
The Yamaha 15hp started readily each time with half a pull and was more motor than I could handle in todays sea states. I never once managed full throttle.
With all the gear we had on board my daughter and my overweight frame we were out for 5hr 30mins and fished for 2hrs so plenty of motor use and very pleased with it I am.
The fishfinder plotter worked well though it didnt find me any fish, the transducer mounting being perfect.
Below is the numbers screen for today.
25septgarmin.jpg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	25septgarmin.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	138942  
Old 25 September 2021, 22:12   #12

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Well done on getting out there and on the overall positive report
Old 25 September 2021, 22:17   #13

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Welcome to the new world of inflatables! It all sounds similar to my early experiences, moving from a hard hulled boat and trailer. I’m still trying to reduce what I carry without compromising safety and some comfort, and still messing up .
Good to hear that you are back on the water.
Old 25 September 2021, 23:06   #14

Thanks all for the positive comments.
One more thing from today, the 25ltr fuel tank was under my seat and although it was and still is free of any leaks I kept smelling fuel. I think I worked it out to be coming from the tank vent. Although there was clearance tank top to seat bottom, where the seat cushions are attached there are buckles underneath and one was just about touching the tank so when we bounced it was pushing down on the tank causing a pressure change and venting fumes.
Old 25 September 2021, 23:15   #15

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
What a great report. A fantastic result given the boat and outboard are new experiences for you.

I love the shrinking car comment. We are really disciplined at packing everything for the trip home but we've got practiced having previously owned estate cars where we would never fold the rear seat so it has to be an efficient pack.

I think at different times it could have been air or waves under the floor. We found the Elling floor was impacted by waves at times particularly if you let the speed drop.

We too experienced a degree of a twitchy feeling to the Elling compared to a a conventional SIB but realised it was far better if you were able to trim the bow up a bit more than with other SIBs. Coming from a hard boat it will be even more noticeable. Never dangerous just a character at times.

Outboard sounds to be behaving which is great. 25.4kts with a 15hp on a SIB is truly excellent... 18-20kts being an average speed range we've seen with others. I'm trying to think... is there anyone else with a KB350 on the forum using a 15hp... I think most use 10hp and smaller??
Old 25 September 2021, 23:44   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Outboard sounds to be behaving which is great. 25.4kts with a 15hp on a SIB is truly excellent... 18-20kts being an average speed range we've seen with others. I'm trying to think... is there anyone else with a KB350 on the forum using a 15hp... I think most use 10hp and smaller??

I thought it would be you David who picked up on the speed, that actually surprised me that it was so fast, not once did I get to hold full throttle for more than a split second, I felt the engine was capable of more than I was prepared to apply in the less than perfect conditions.

It will have to wait probably until next season now for a flat calm day when I can see what its capable of in perfect conditions.
Old 26 September 2021, 00:50   #17

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Oldman, Thanks for taking the time to give a comprehensive review! Enjoyed reading about your day.

Quote:
25.4kts with a 15hp on a SIB is truly excellent...
Be a little wary of doing 25kn depending on what prop is fitted. Given it's a 2 stroke and has non of those pesky valves to worry about, it's not as critical about over-revving, but if running the standard 10.5p prop it was outside the WOT range by some margin. I'm being generous assuming only 5% slip, it was probably revving higher. I'd consider a 12p prop I think, what an excellent hull.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RubexProps.com.png
Views:	70
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	138944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha15hp2T.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	138945   Click image for larger version

Name:	SolasProp.png
Views:	71
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	138947  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Yamaha-15F-Review-Trade-a-Boat-Magazine-Nov-2015.pdf (164.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 26 September 2021, 02:29   #18

Limecc, thanks for your input and concern for my rev range.

I actually purchased the Yamaha from Fenlander and will refer you to his excellent thread on the Yamaha 15 and his prop testing. I am still using his final choice of prop, the others sit in my spares box

https://www.rib.net/forum/f36/yamaha...tml#post799415
Old 26 September 2021, 06:09   #19

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
Limecc, thanks for your input and concern for my rev range.

I actually purchased the Yamaha from Fenlander and will refer you to his excellent thread on the Yamaha 15 and his prop testing. I am still using his final choice of prop, the others sit in my spares box

https://www.rib.net/forum/f36/yamaha...tml#post799415
Quote:
..a Yamaha OE 9.75" with a very fine blade design. This immediately felt right at displacement speeds... upped the revs to 5250 at WOT and produced the maximum speed of 17.9kts.

Right most one an aftermarket 9" pitch regarded as a higher thrust type. This was a surprise turning in almost as good a performance both measured and feel as the Yamaha 9.75".... making 17.2kts at 5300.

So I'll be keeping the Yamaha OE 9.75" pitch and as a spare the aftermarket higher thrust 9" pitch.
So Fenlander's calculations check out, (9% and 12% slip) but look at your 25kn rpm with a 9.75" prop and conservative 5% slip - wow 6900rpm! The engine was really screaming. Really efficient hull and no rev limiter to allow that, GPS proves it to be true. If 10% slip we're looking at 7300rpm - almost 2000rpm over WOT design.

Maybe there was a strong 6kn current helping where you got that speed and the water wasn't static? I doubt. Engine was way over your max rpm and ready to break?

Runs on 100:1 as well. That would get me unsettled but there we are.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9p17.2kn.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	138948   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.75p17.9kn.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	138949   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.75p25.4kn.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	138951  
Old 26 September 2021, 07:42   #20

Thanks again for your input, I have just checked the hour meter/rev counter as it stores max rpm, I reset the meter last week while bucket flush/running. It says 5130 max rpm and although i'm new to inflatables i'm not to outboards and i'm pretty sure I wasnt sitting next to an engine reving at 7k or even close.
So although I find it hard to believe I can only assume the GPS has somehow miscalculated my speed?
I will admit to not taking even a sideways glance at the displayed speed while moving very fast, at 17knots I only gave the briefest glance, being more concerned on keeping the beast tamed and pointing in the direction I chose so I am at a loss to explain. It will have to wait until next spring now.