Old 28 May 2009, 16:55   #1

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Estrero Coyote

Took a trip with my sib to Abreojos about 500 miles down the Baja coast. Crazy winding road with large trucks crowding the center line and no guard rails, no shoulders on the road and lots of crosses and shrines marking the demise of many travelers who plunged off the road. The reward was wide open fishing, surf and camping in a remote uncrowded location. The locals weren't catching anything offshore right at this time, so we fished the Estrero Coyote. Very shallow water there that doesn't lend itself to full size hard bottom boats. The sib was perfect for reaching far into these bountiful waters. Most of the fish are smaller here, but it we were constantly catching spotted bay bass, corvina, halibut, bay snapper and even snagged a nice mullet. Lots of action. We released most of the fish, keeping just a few larger ones for the grill. Not the 10 mile offshore run for yellowtail that I had hoped for, but pretty much non stop hits all week when we weren't harvesting oysters off the mangroves and clams out of the shallows. Tons of wildlife everywhere. Note that in the picture of the Osprey below the bird is clutching what is left of his fish lunch. My friends worked hard to assist a rare beached pigmy sperm whale we came across on the beach. Quite an adventure. Most of the road is paved now, so more boats will roll out from the main highway. As it is we never saw another soul out on the water. Made all the work and money spent on my "toy boat" worthwhile! Hope everyone is getting out on the water wherever you are...

Old 28 May 2009, 17:27   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Nice fish... Thanks for the report.

Have you by any chance read this?
http://www.bajaexpo.com/adventure.htm

Sounds like something you may get into.

jky
Old 28 May 2009, 19:09   #3

Great link! I soooo cannot imagine doing that trip, well, at least during this time of year! I haven't read the whole thing yet, but the nice weather down the coast described didn't look anything like the nasty swell, wind chop and 40 mph winds we saw every evening. The water in the Pacific was about 56 f and it would have been brutal on the ocean for that long. I do hope to go back in October when the water is in the 70's and the winds are calmer for an offshore run (the same time of year the author chose to go south). Thanks again for posting the link. I'm contemplating a gulf side extended run and I'm looking forward to reading that part of the story.
Old 29 May 2009, 11:30   #4

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Mariner 75
Interesting looking seating (presumably more comfortable than the standard thin cusions) - any chance of some details/ photographs on what you have done ?
Old 29 May 2009, 15:25   #5

The seats are replacement seats for tractors that I bought off e-bay. They were on sale for $80 US. I think they have gone up a bit since then. They have 6 inches of travel with a spring compression system that is adjustable for body weight. Works great! The down side is that they aren't stainless or aluminum so rust is an issue. the spring suspension components appear to be bronzed and don't corrode (so far). I replaced all the bolts with stainless steel, but the frame itself rusts. I pull them off, wire brush the rust spots and spray paint them every year. I rinse everything with Salt Away regularly. They have lasted 3 years so far. Compared to the thousands of dollars for full on marine suspension seats these are a reasonable investment. I can afford to replace them eventually. The seats weighed about 30 lbs each. I removed the sliding adjustable base and made two aluminum brackets to mount the upper seat portion which reduced the weight considerably (didn't weigh them stripped). I had them mounted to the regular zodiac bench which mounts to the floor track. Over time I did get track wear. So I have gone ahead and mounted the bench to the floor using backing plates inserted into the floor sections. Very sturdy and stable with no cracking or flexing in the floor so far. The seat sections themselves are plastic and have a plastic "cushion" that isn't exactly plush, but when I jam out to surf the 6 inches of travel is the smoothest ride I've had. My buddies were bent when they had to ride the normal padded boat seats I used while the current mods were being made.

nice blue seat

the suspension seat and removed slider base

track wear ( I had some of this even before I mounted the heavier seats)

the backing plates in the hollow floor section (not the actual seat install, the cross plate and backing plates are for my ski pole)

one bench support installed (note the extra aluminum added to reinforce the c section)

my local metal supply sells scrap c sections like this by the pound and they make great mounts. I used two pieces cut to make L shapes and bolted together to raise my console bench even higher.

My console arrangement and the seats are all mounted this way now. The space under the benches is much more useable and I raised my console while I was at it so the custom aluminum tank and AGM battery fit nicely underneath. This is the console bench arrangement (taken before I installed the tractor seats). I only use the floor track for strapping things down. The aluminum bar is for strapping down equipment and I have a surfboard rack that installs off them and extends out over the tubes.

the surfboard rack (the console with my old plastic tank in place)

The custom tank wasn't very expensive ($168 US) and it really opened up my floor space to wedge the tank and battery together. The tank is grounded so I don't have to remove it at the gas station to fill (carefully). Got all of my fixed weight forward and the boat rides so much better now. Hope you find my pinhead mod entertaining.
Old 30 May 2009, 08:19   #6

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Mariner 75
Wow - very impressive ! I was only going to upgrade the standard seat cushions (very hard) to some £3 canoe cushions (less hard) - but had not considered a sprung seat.

Worth putting in a "Futura mods" topic all of it's own !
Old 30 May 2009, 16:46   #7

Hmmm, I think those that follow the forum have probably seen enough pics of my boat...
Old 31 May 2009, 01:55   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Can never have too many pics - great photos!!!
Old 01 June 2009, 17:59   #9

Codprawn- Thanks for the encouragement. I was just glad no one noticed that there are only two blades left on my four bladed composite prop in the picture! There are advantages to posting lower resolution images. I scrubbed off two props right when I launched, not the most brilliant move on my part, but the propulse prop came right apart and I moved the two remaining blades into positions opposite each other and away we went. Probably shouldn't have left my spare prop back at camp.

While we were crawling in amongst the mangrove roots for oysters the tide switched and my boat drifted away. I ran as far as I could on the flats, stripped off everything but my trunks and swam for it. Ran into a shallow sand bar out in the middle of the channel and startled a large ray while bumping along on my chest. Flashes of Steve Irwin and his fatal stingray encounter had me up and sliding my feet along the bottom as the zodiac rounded the bend without me. Good thing I swim well. Seems I'm better at working on the boat than operating it. Very humbling.