Old 01 April 2022, 23:23   #1
A1o

Length: no boat
Essex Sib Help..

Hi All,

Hoping to tap into your knowledge

Looking to get a head start this year... I got my first inflatable a while back it’s a Plastimo P240SL originally I was using a Yamaha 2B on it, but upgraded if you can call it that to a Johnson Seahorse 4HP (1978?)

At the moment I’ve only ventured out into the Blackwater Estuary, exploring Osea and Northey Island launching from the sea wall at Heybridge a couple of hours before high tide.

I want to explore further afield and also want to test the boat at sea.. I’m conscious that I have a dinghy/tender which may not be ideal, though I hear amazing things about a guy called The Gurnard on here, but what he has in years I have in days...

A couple of questions

1. I’m thinking of heading towards Tollesbury Wick, where it opens out to Mersea Island and so on... it is less sheltered.. heading towards open water I’m thinking if things get hairy I can retreat back to the estuary, is that a good idea?

2. Is a 2.4 Sib in the right conditions with a 4hp at sea a wise idea... I’m talking of hugging the coastline half a mile ish Max... like fishing besides Walton pier for an example.

3. Other than Heybridge can anyone else suggest any launch sites, i wonder if canvey Island into the Thames Estuary would be an option, I have no boating club experience so don’t feel comfortable approaching sailing clubs to ask for use of their ramps?? Is that even an option I wouldn’t want to offend?

* Disclaimer - I have completed my Powerboat Level 2, have both life jackets and buoyancy aids available, carry a Handheld VHF and anchor and use RYA Safetrx, alongside attempting to read the weather... (That makes me anything but an expert, but I’m defo trying to tick all the right boxes)

If you got this far... thanks for reading!
Old 01 April 2022, 23:36   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Up late too eh?

I had to look back to be reminded of the advice I gave 8mths ago...

>>>During our decade plus launching from West Mersea we once downshifted to a SIB just over 3m with a 4hp from a 3.6m with 15hp. We soon changed it as the small size and inability to plane meant we just crashed into the face of a choppy sea and got soaked.<<<

I'd add it can be very lumpy at the Mersea end of the Blackwater and even with years of experience on the majority of days there I'd not want to be in a 2.4m with a 44yr old 4hp motor.

Likewise the Thames is busy with fast tides in places and lots of mud in the wrong places.

If you want to start venturing further afield I'd try really hard to justify upgrading to a 3.2m with an 8-10hp motor at a minimum.
Old 02 April 2022, 07:18   #3
A1o

Length: no boat
Thanks mate.

Not going to lie I had my first trip out a couple of weeks back and got absolutely soaked, not so much an issue in the summer but it was freezing, does take some of the fun out of it.

Tags
sib