Old 05 December 2015, 08:03   #1

Town: Torbay
Make: Quicksilver 380 HD
Length: 3m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2S
Engine pulling issue

Hi

I have a quicksilver 380HD and a mariner 25hp two stroke combo, they are both in great condition and the boat absolutely flies.

However I have an issue with the engine pulling hard to one side. I have tried adjusting the little plate behind the prop to see if that solves it - nothing.

I was thinking about trying a new prop on it, but it's expensive to just 'try'

I was wondering if other people had the same issues, a day out on the water and my arm is dead!!

Hopefully someone can help!
Old 05 December 2015, 09:15   #2

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
You'll never get it to steer completely neutrally through the full rev range. Best you'll get is it pulling one way at low revs and the other at WOT. Then fine tune the trim tab to get it neutral at your normal cruising speed. If you're not getting near this the engine might not be properly centred on the transom or may not be trimmed properly but unless there is something grossly wrong with the prop I wouldn't expect that to be your problem.
Are you turning the trim tab in the right direction. Experiment with it at both extremes just to satisfy yourself.
Old 05 December 2015, 09:24   #3

Town: Torbay
Make: Quicksilver 380 HD
Engine: mariner 25hp 2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
You'll never get it to steer completely neutrally through the full rev range. Best you'll get is it pulling one way at low revs and the other at WOT. Then fine tune the trim tab to get it neutral at your normal cruising speed. If you're not getting near this the engine might not be properly centred on the transom or may not be trimmed properly but unless there is something grossly wrong with the prop I wouldn't expect that to be your problem.
Are you turning the trim tab in the right direction. Experiment with it at both extremes just to satisfy yourself.
I took a socket set out on the water with me over the summer and tried to adjust it but it wasn't appearing to make any difference. I tried all the trim settings also and that didn't appear to make a difference either. If the steering is heavy does it need to be trimmed up or down?
Old 05 December 2015, 13:56   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i have a merc 365 same boat as yours just sorter on the tube. trim is set second hole up the Skeg is set facing port side at about 40degrees so the rear of the Skeg facing starboard on a Suzuki 25 4st she runs true at that but as tango has said running in a straight line pretty near impossible unless flat calm even then you will track a bit depending on you and how you hold the tiller, try loosening or tightening the slew screw see if that helps personally I like mine a tad stiff. Also check your keel make sure it's central and solid also engine dead centre if all fails you might have to move the engine to componsate.make sure weight distribution is correct too if heavy one side it will track.

Cheers
Old 05 December 2015, 16:22   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusey93 View Post
If the steering is heavy does it need to be trimmed up or down?
Heavy steering and pulling to one side are classic symptoms of having the motor trimmed in too far. Try trimming up a notch at a time and see if you feel any difference.