Old 06 January 2010, 20:45   #1

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Engine height on a Aerotec 420

Hi
In most cases when cavitation-plate is in level with the bottom is a good alround instalation height for the engine. The bottom/transom shape on the Aerotec 420(guess same also on the 380) is not a traditional straight V, so my question is: Has anyone here played with the engine height on this sib type and lifted the engine so that the cavitation plate would be even with the bottom? By default the cavitation plate is lower.
Old 06 January 2010, 22:27   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
Hi
In most cases when cavitation-plate is in level with the bottom is a good alround instalation height for the engine. The bottom/transom shape on the Aerotec 420(guess same also on the 380) is not a traditional straight V, so my question is: Has anyone here played with the engine height on this sib type and lifted the engine so that the cavitation plate would be even with the bottom? By default the cavitation plate is lower.
What engine do you plan to use, a Tohatsu 18 HP, 4 strokes engine ?
Old 07 January 2010, 19:57   #3

Yes, that was the original plan. However it's still in the box, and having second taughts, would get a old 2 stroke 25/30 hatsu with the same weight and guess much better speed/handling. In fact alway's enyoyed the simplicity of two stroke engines.

I know tohatsu specks the cav plate to be 30-50 mm below the bottom, but in tha past used to have a couple of boats always installing even with the bottom without any problems. The transom is 500 mm. A long 25/30 cav plate to transom is 560 mm and on the short one its 435 mm, so some work ned to be done anyway.

Will post a picture of th transom/bottom shape litle later.
Old 07 January 2010, 21:11   #4

Here a few pics, found on the net. The V shape of the transom is kind of rounded. Have no idea how this slighly odd shape impact on the engine instalation/height. Reading this forum seams like at least the 380 performes rather well. It looks like the bottom before the transom is kind of V but then gets rounded closer to the transom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bombard transom.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	48547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bombard transom2.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	48548  
Old 07 January 2010, 21:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
Yes, that was the original plan. However it's still in the box, and having second taughts, would get a old 2 stroke 25/30 hatsu with the same weight and guess much better speed/handling. In fact alway's enyoyed the simplicity of two stroke engines.

I know tohatsu specks the cav plate to be 30-50 mm below the bottom, but in tha past used to have a couple of boats always installing even with the bottom without any problems. The transom is 500 mm. A long 25/30 cav plate to transom is 560 mm and on the short one its 435 mm, so some work ned to be done anyway.

Will post a picture of th transom/bottom shape litle later.
Tohatsus are water splashers if incorrectly installed, put engine trim angle in third hole from transom as to have the engine perpendicular to water, balance mates properly towards bow, full wot on calm waters and see if the water level is passing 1-2 mm under upper small cav plate, that would be ideal position for short and long tails engines.

Happy Sibbing
Old 09 January 2010, 12:21   #6

Thank's locozodiac. Sounds like a good advice to me. With this adjustable set-back plate :

http://www.allinflatables.com/shopping/cook/sb.html" adjusting would be a piece of cake. But guess its a bit overkill on a sib....

Simple version if needing only to lift the engine : http://www.allinflatables.com/shopping/cook/ve.html
Old 13 January 2010, 23:08   #7

Town: stockport
Length: 3m +
engine height on aerotec

hi all, i recently bought the 380 aerotec with 18hp tohatsu 2 stroke (short shaft). i to had problems with the position of the motor on the transom and agree with locozodiac (put engine trim angle in third hole from transom). i found this to be best, even though i still seem to be getting a lot of water splashing over the transom ,even when the weight in the boat is evenly distributed. (we have to go ashore every 30 mins to bail her out) any body got any ideas ? i have seen a few ideas on the web, this pic being 1 of them, if you look at the transom the owner has added some sort of spray deflector (anyone know where you can buy them or is it a home made job). also one other question (sorry) how has the owner of the boat in the pic been able to add a jockey console to an inflatable high pressure floor ??????
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3466235_4.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	48631  
Old 14 January 2010, 18:15   #8

Splashing Parameters

Well, glad to read that third hole from transom performed much better, now you have to correct the splashing issue that is caused by water flow smashing against the exhaust section somewhere inside the splashing parameters. See pic to understand.

This issue is worsened if you have a cut in middle transom, if yes, probably you have a 38 cm height transom, two options, raise transom center height to 40 cm or add a height plate of 2 mm to raise transom to 40 to perform as expected. That's why all our sibs are being factory delivered with 40 cm transoms to be able to use Tohatsu engines on all of them.

The tech explanation is quite simple, water flow should pass under small cav plate when on plane on calm flat seas, with sib correctly mate balanced & inflated (tubes, air matt V keel) use a gauge, water flow must not be passing inside splashing parameters whatsoever, which seems is your case. Fixing height will reduce water drag against tail, unnecessary drying and optimize engine top end speed.

1-2 mm under small plate is ideal, rising engine so that passing water flow is under more than 2 mm will cause prop to cavitate in chopy seas. Adding a spray side deflector won't solve your problem, as these deflectors are usefull when you have water swirling and entering sib at side tubes specially on plane on chopy seas but not water jumping over transom/engine area.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Splashing Parameter Issues.JPG
Views:	1285
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	48635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Parameters-1.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	48636  
Old 14 January 2010, 19:14   #9

Town: Sussex
Make: Ceasar Surfcat
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
When i had my 380 with a Tohatsu 30 2 stroke, i raised it by 25mm(cav plate was level with the keel) by adding a 25mm piece of wood on top of the transom and raised the metal transom plate too.
It totally solved the splashing problem and performed better too.
Old 14 January 2010, 20:07   #10

Thanks Easyrider for information. Think will cut the transom first for getting even with cav plate, can always cut more if need(due to prop cavitate or other reason). How did the 380 handled with 30 hp, plenty of flex on the air floor?
Old 14 January 2010, 21:59   #11

aerotec 380 engine height

thanks easyrider and locozodiac for all your help. will definitely be raising the transom height when the weather over here gets warmer. just googled bombard aerotec and found these 2 images. (original bombard transom and modified version) hope this helps other bombard owners. 1 more thing :- does it matter if the wooden block is 20, 25, 30mm, is it an exact science ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	48680   Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	48681  
Old 15 January 2010, 00:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by uny1965 View Post
thanks easyrider and locozodiac for all your help. will definitely be raising the transom height when the weather over here gets warmer. just googled bombard aerotec and found these 2 images. (original bombard transom and modified version) hope this helps other bombard owners. 1 more thing :- does it matter if the wooden block is 20, 25, 30mm, is it an exact science ?
20 mm is a good starting point to solve splashing issues forever, if still splashing a bit try 25 mm, must screw transom front and rear plates to match this new position. To understand what you must do, see pics. If the tech procedure is hard work, try a 20/25 mm metal plate and secure to middle transom to compensate.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	48682   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	48683   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	48684   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	48685  
Old 15 January 2010, 07:14   #13

Town: Sussex
Make: Ceasar Surfcat
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
I dont think you will go wrong with 20 or 30 mm height- i forgot to add, you also need to raise the outer transom board up too(its only screwed on)-the extra piece of wood goes between the forward metal plate and the outer ply board.
It handled extremely well with the 30(much much better than the 15 it came with), the only time i ever noticed the floor really flex was if i was on flat calm water as it built up some form of pressure wave beneath it, never did it with if there was any chop. It used to do about 30knots
Old 15 January 2010, 11:16   #14
Administrator

Town: Brighton
On my 380 Aerotec the previous owner had fitted a piece of wood along the top of the transom to raise the engine height by about 25mm. It works fine with the motor at that height.

I took it off to try it as standard and the boat suffers badly from spray at speed - I'll be putting it back next time out.
Old 15 January 2010, 12:17   #15

Just to take the nail out and for tech data, what is the total height of your wooden rear engine support block if happens to be a square one, see pic. Forgot to mention that the height you must add to transom (20-30mm) to raise engine to avoid water splashes specially if using Tohatsu engines, will depend on tube diameter, as you have sibs with 40/42/45/50 mt. diameter tubes, although not rocket science, has some precise science to it. In my case, needed 25 mm transom raise because my sib has 45 mt tubes.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	48688  
Old 05 February 2010, 08:56   #16

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I had to do the same to my 380, it worked a treat no more water coming over the transom!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02031 (Medium).JPG
Views:	394
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	49022   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02028 (Medium).JPG
Views:	462
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	49023   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02030 (Medium).JPG
Views:	298
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	49024  
Old 05 February 2010, 17:53   #17

engine height on aerotec

hi nick, just looking at the pics of your boat, seems like a lot of people have been having trouble with the aerotec transom/engine height. am interested to know what you used to raise the engine height, is it just a piece of scrap wood you had lying about or is it something you bought specially and also what size is the block. most people seem to agree 25/30mm block is best.
Old 06 February 2010, 16:12   #18

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Hi it was just a bit of wood I had lying around it would be between 25 to 30mm & I took off the ply plate off the transom & moved it up to support the new block & painted it black! Works a treat.
Easy mod & makes a world of difference.