Old 12 February 2021, 05:10   #21

Make: Elling kB 350
Length: 3m +
Read the post David, very interesting. Gave me some ideas. I’ve now posted my shopping list. Would appreciate anyone giving their points of view on my choices.
Old 12 February 2021, 05:45   #22

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Fenlander, interested to understand why you chose the Elling over a F-Rib? I know the former will have a softer ride but if cost no factor, then Donny's and his brother's setups look pretty near perfect to me.
Old 12 February 2021, 07:51   #23

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Good luck David, you started me on this SIB journey as you know many years ago with the super light Zodiac and Tohatsu 9.8 and everything goes full circle!

Life is short and although I'm lucky enough to be a few years behind (not that many) - little health issues here and there and a general lowering of strength etc that just creeps up from late 40's together with this crazy upside down world has convinced us that early retirement is key and we're working towards that goal once our youngest is heading close to Uni. From your mid 50's most have only got so many truly active years to go...!
Old 12 February 2021, 10:13   #24

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Thanks Max... for me its all about planning as far as you can for life's stages... then adapting to the actual... and never resenting the largely inevitable slow down. So if you can get an early retirement plan in place to lengthen the active years go for it.

Limecc a fair question re an Frib and one was in the mix briefly.

The crucial part in all this was basing the plan around the 26kg Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke and indeed the Frib hull... as well as the Elling/Takacat style... is very nippy with that size of motor compared to a normal SIB.

No cost wasn't the absolute deciding factor but as always a value consideration was there and an extra £1600 for the nearest Frib (the 360) is a fair chunk.

The Elling is about 6" longer and 2" narrower internally than the 360 Frib so broadly similar hence they are the correct model to use as a comparison.

But the biggest factor is bulk and weight of the packed boat in the car. The Elling floor is in a separate bag so the boat itself is some 10kg lighter than the Frib which will be a great help. More than that the Frib due to the GRP hull is a bulky unyielding beast that can't be bent and stuffed into a loadspace as you can with a bagged SIB. The 360 has about 30% greater bulk than my packed Aerotec and possibly 40% more than a packed Elling. Knowing how much a full kit fills even a large estate loadspace (Mondeo/5-series etc) the Frib would probably have prompted part folding of rear seats and I want to retain both for passengers.

And above all that with the demise of the Aerotec model I'm fascinated to know if the Elling KB350 is its true replacement as a light air floor with zero floor flex issues and a good performance in the handling department. The only way to truly find out is to use one.
Old 12 February 2021, 10:23   #25

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
When are the KB 350’s coming back into stock?
Maybe 1 of those or the new Honwave 380 would suit my 15hp 2 stroke I have.
Would be handy for taking away with the caravan.
Are you selling your Aerotec Fenlander? Or keeping it and waiting too see if the KB 350 is up to scratch.
Old 12 February 2021, 11:00   #26

KB350s back in stock March when they receive their delivery. Not sure how many they'll be getting and if they could sell out on pre-orders. I'm committed to this change so will be selling the Aerotec but no rush... wait until lockdown eases I guess to make viewing/collection easier. I have already promised the Yamaha 15 2-stroke.

As you have that nice Mercury 15 2-stroke your SIB choice is wider as you don't need the ultimate hull efficiency.
Old 12 February 2021, 11:38   #27

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Thanks Max... for me its all about planning as far as you can for life's stages... then adapting to the actual... and never resenting the largely inevitable slow down. So if you can get an early retirement plan in place to lengthen the active years go for it.
I'm probably, or should that be hopefully , 5 or 6 years behind you Fenlander. So how you fair with your Elling 350 is of great interest to me.
At present I can manage the SD360 and the Merc 15hp on my own but I am well aware that sometime down the line I will struggle, especially with the OB.
"Planning as far as you can for life's stages" has really got me thinking. Decent, used 8hp - 10hp 2 strokes are going to become as rare as hens teeth. Perhaps keeping my eyes open for one now, although not needed, may not be a bad idea.
Old 13 February 2021, 11:45   #28

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Fenlander, as you are a man who likes detail, bear in mind when your boat arrives that the ransom ply is skinned with pvc but none of the wood screws used on the motor mount, drain or serial and maker plates seem to have any sealant at all to stop the nasty old sea water creeping in. I took off both serial and maker plates as they came right where I was drilling holes. I have not replaced them, but have sealed the fixing holes. So if you are like me, every screw comes out and goes back with sealant.
Also the seat screws were on one batch too short and the mounting bracket came adrift on someone, make sure the screws are adequate and yup, more sealant needed.

Tel1965 is following this thread so he will get the info too.
Old 13 February 2021, 12:06   #29

Appreciate that info... will give all the fixings a check over when it arrives. Particularly the seat screws... don't want Mrs F being flung out on a tight Cat style turn left bobbing in her inflated lifejacket holding the seat aloft.
Old 13 February 2021, 12:17   #30

Quote:
Particularly the seat screws... don't want Mrs F being flung out on a tight Cat style turn left bobbing in her inflated lifejacket holding the seat aloft.

She would be fine, I would be more concerned for where the pointy ended screws end up! Tube or floor, either wont heal up quickly, the wife just needs a quick rub down
Old 13 February 2021, 13:03   #31

Yep, I follow most threads on here as I find I get to learn lots of tips and tricks. I’ll be doing the same when I get my boat.
Old 13 February 2021, 15:33   #32

Just looking at some Elling pics and dreaming of actually being on the water...

I've never had a SIB with a seat mounted where it was any use for me to use the tiller so I've spent ten years sitting on the offside tube. But I reckon that Elling seat "rail" goes far enough back for me to use and face forwards for once.
Old 13 February 2021, 15:38   #33

I’ve never had a sib, so I wouldn’t know lol
After all the research I did over the past few months I’m sure I’ve made the right decision on the boat as I’m sure you have too.
Old 15 February 2021, 07:44   #34

Just to whet your appetite David.

I have quickly made a pdf doc of the pages in the manual relating to this boat. I do think a review by an English proof reader might have been wise.

https://pdfhost.io/v/HRhh4yEjh_20210215_082520pdf.pdf
Old 15 February 2021, 08:42   #35

Thanks for that. Seems very generic for example showing the inflation procedure for one of their narrow... keel inside hull fabric... flat airdeck models not the KB350.

At the end of page 16 I wonder what they mean by under engine circulation and the statement that seems to say the seats are not the correct height or strength for this situation?
Old 15 February 2021, 09:48   #36

Quote:
Thanks for that. Seems very generic for example showing the inflation procedure for one of their narrow... keel inside hull fabric... flat airdeck models not the KB350.

At the end of page 16 I wonder what they mean by under engine circulation and the statement that seems to say the seats are not the correct height or strength for this situation?

The book is pretty useless, it covers pretty much all the boats they make up to page 15. There is no keel hole in the airdeck as you know.

Under the title of under engine swimming (as if I would dare)
I think they mean, Dont sit on the tubes at full throttle while going round in circles.

I knew there was a good reason I couldnt find that booklet!

When I asked Dave what he thought for the inflation numbers he replied 3.5 on the main tubes, 4.5 on the Center keel and 12 psi on the floor.

So take ya pick
Old 15 February 2021, 09:49   #37

database error double post
Old 19 February 2021, 11:15   #38

Nice one fenlander, will be interested to see how you get on with it
So do these boats perform better than say an aerotex or honwave air floor with a smaller hp engine then? Are they quicker for the same hp?

Cheers
Old 19 February 2021, 11:35   #39

Hi duggie hope all is well with you and yours.

All available reports seem to show the Elling will reach about the same speed with a 10hp as most other SIBs with a 15hp. So the theory is finding a minter Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke (which I may have found, fingers crossed) and lose 10kg from the outboard carry... then the Elling with the floor out saves 10kg also. Should all help.

No conclusive reports of how the Elling handles the typical sea we go out in and I’m really looking forward to finding out.
Old 19 February 2021, 13:35   #40

We await the review!
Good luck with it