Old 09 July 2020, 20:29   #1

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Length: 3m +
Electric air pumps

After some thought, I’ve converted from a grip boat, to a sib ( decision based on old age, varied availability of crew to assist in launch and recovery, and the positive posts on this forum about sibs) Did a good deal on my old boat, and downsized to a Takacat, and 6 hp Suzuki. Hoping my boating excursions will be less physically demanding, but as much fun.
I have a bravo hand pump with the boat,, and it does the job, but feel an electric pump would make life easier. Looking for advice based on members experience of differing brands and models.
Tubes need 3p.s.i , air floor needs 8-10 psi.
Would prefer cigar lighter plug in, but willing to be guided by more experienced users.
I am looking to purchase in the next week, prior to 1st full sea journey.
Many thanks
Old 10 July 2020, 07:48   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
ive had a bravo only lasted a couple of years, now got an itwit from decathlon a third the price and works very well
Old 10 July 2020, 09:25   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
My SIB came with a sevylor electric pump which is ok, but being single stage is very slow. I bought one of these:- Ruitx Electric Air Pump, SUP Pump 20PSI 12V DC High Pressure Pump With Intelligent Dual Stage Auto-Off Function for Inflatable SUP and Boat https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KPXWQ..._mldcFbHENBM20
Which is much quicker. I looked at the itiwits, but they get very mixed reviews & were out of stock at the time.
The new pump is much quicker, but I can’t vouch for the longevity as I’ve only had it since Feb, & for some reason I haven’t had many chances to use it[emoji849]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 10:08   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Interesting review here with most of the alternatives (or a variation) featured.

https://paddlelove.com/best-sup-electric-pumps-reviews/

When my Bravo finally needed changing the other month at 9yrs old** I thought of the alternatives such as the Itiwit, Sevylor and others at a third the price. But these lower price single stage pumps have a fraction of the air output of the Bravo so with similar thoughts to PD for a daily setup 3.8m I stuck to the Bravo. If I were mostly topping up a trailed SIB I probably would have bought an Itiwit.

**To be fair to the Bravo it didn't fail completely and could still fully inflate to high pressure... it was just the pressure setting stuck at that of my air floor so you had to watch it like a hawk when doing the tubes and turn off manually.
Old 10 July 2020, 11:53   #5

Thanks to all for your thoughts. That will help me to thin down the options, and make a decision. Looking forward to a new chapter in boating, hopefully much simpler, but with plenty of adventure!
Old 10 July 2020, 16:12   #6

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Jeff what symptoms did the bravo have when it failed. Mine is 3 years and it seems to stop actually pushing air past 2 psi. Then later it’s fine. I’m wondering if the time to replace is here.
Does your new pump have two stage? The pumps website doesn’t say
Old 10 July 2020, 16:26   #7

RIBase
Hi pagic low pressure motor failed i didnt use it that much either luck of the draw i think some do well with them
Old 10 July 2020, 18:27   #8

Town: Gatineau (Aylmer),Quebec
Boat name: Bombard Explorer
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude E-Tec 115
I have been using the Bravo BP 12 single-stage electric pump for many years and I'm completely satisfied with its ability to quickly pump air into my 6m RIB and stop at the desired 3.5 psi. What would be great however is to find a pump that could be integrated into the console. I've been searching the Web but can't find one.
Old 10 July 2020, 22:11   #9

Town: London
Boat name: Pip
Make: Excel Volante 330
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzuki DF6A
I’ve used my Sevylor for the first time today. Bought from Amazon for £55. It inflated my excel 330 easily, took about 2-3 minutes per tube I guess, cut off when it reached the pressure I set. I haven’t experienced a bravo so can’t compare but at half the price and for my light seasonal usage I’m happy. Obviously longevity will be the decider...
Old 13 July 2020, 16:08   #10

Update on my post- I have bought a dual stage pump similar to Ruitx ( what appears to be same model is sold under several brand names) Initial test looks promising. It has adaptors for different valve types. Time will tell. Thanks again to all for contributing your thoughts.
Old 14 July 2020, 14:25   #11

Like Jeff I used an itwit, found it really good value, you can use a cheap air bed inflator type to get the bulk of the air in and then do the high pressure bit with the itwit - the itwit on its own can be a wee bit slow

Cheers
Old 14 July 2020, 15:19   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie12 View Post
Like Jeff I used an itwit, found it really good value, you can use a cheap air bed inflator type to get the bulk of the air in and then do the high pressure bit with the itwit - the itwit on its own can be a wee bit slow

Cheers
the halfords air bed pump at £6 is good at the low pressure end and runs on dry cells. my itwit pumps the 435 up pretty smart dougie to be fair mind im not stood in a carpark waiting kettle boiling and all that
Old 14 July 2020, 15:56   #13

Yeahthe itwit was quick enough for me as well Jeff, plenty of other things to be getting in with when boat is inflating anyway!
Cheers
Old 18 July 2020, 14:10   #14

Town: Montrose
Boat name: Ruby Blue
Make: Honwave & SW4800cc
Engine: Mariner 15 & 60efi
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navajoturquoise View Post
I have been using the Bravo BP 12 single-stage electric pump for many years and I'm completely satisfied with its ability to quickly pump air into my 6m RIB and stop at the desired 3.5 psi. What would be great however is to find a pump that could be integrated into the console. I've been searching the Web but can't find one.
Bravo make one, just seen today searching for a spare Bravo hose. Check the scoprega website, it was listed in a PDF download that I originally though was a web page, so, no link for you I'm afraid.
Old 18 July 2020, 14:54   #15

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yep it’s their Turbo Max model. These folks do it....

https://www.pecheur.com/en/gb/buy-el...iABEgJH-vD_BwE
Old 18 July 2020, 19:53   #16

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navajoturquoise View Post

How often do you have to blow your tubes up? Do you really need an (expensive) pump permanently plumbed into the console? I top my tubes up a couple of times a year & only then when the PRVs have blown off due to extremes of temp. It only takes a couple of pumps with the manual Bravo to top them up.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 23:00   #17

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
I am pleased with my sevlor. It fits well on my honwave and you can set the pressure. Need to plug it into the 12v on the car and run the car though.
Old 21 July 2020, 17:22   #18

Town: Yeovil
Length: no boat
Engine: Mercury 15hp 4T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old seahorse View Post
Update on my post- I have bought a dual stage pump similar to Ruitx ( what appears to be same model is sold under several brand names) Initial test looks promising. It has adaptors for different valve types. Time will tell. Thanks again to all for contributing your thoughts.
Hi

Did you purchase from Ebay ? There appears to be plethora of chinese copies of the Ruitx which appear o the face of it to be good value for money .
Old 21 July 2020, 18:27   #19

No, I bought it from boat chandlers. I weighed up a cheaper price on line versus being able to look at it. I paid a bit more, but the chandlers offered to take it back if it wasn’t up to the job, which swung the decision. It also meant I had it in time for my first sea outing on the new boat. So far very pleased with its speed, and ease of use. I think it’s highly likely the cheaper ones on line may be the same, but I was happy to pay a bit more to get the service.
Old 22 July 2020, 06:35   #20

Town: Yeovil
Length: no boat
Engine: Mercury 15hp 4T
OK, Thank you.
I currently have a Coleman which is not really up to the job and am weighing up the options.
My head says Bravo Dual stage and my pocket is shouting Ruitx. I suppose it is the old adage of, you get what you pay for.