Old 11 July 2014, 21:19   #1

Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 4hp
Ebay boat pumps

I'm looking for a cheap electric pump for my Quicksilver. I know the Bravo pump is the best and recommended one but I will probably only use it once or twice a year (or not at all) so anything that works would do as long as it's cheap!

I'd quite like a mains and 12v pump or a rechargeable. Has anyone used the fleabay real cheapo here 240V MAINS 12V DUAL ELECTRIC AIR INFLATOR AIRBED INFLATABLE BOAT PUMP DEFLATOR | eBay

Or perhaps more sensible is this- http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001P80GJ...5f97aba2c9cbda

The main thing is will it be man enough and will the adaptors work? My valve needs a bayonet fitting.

I know I'm being a cheapskate here but I can't justify spending £90 on something I will rarely use. Can anyone advise?
Old 11 July 2014, 21:53   #2

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
whilst those will blow up the boat, they wont give the floor, or maybe even the tubes enough pressure, so you will need to top off with a stirrup type hand pump. as for the adaptor then you prob need a honwave one off ebay
Old 11 July 2014, 22:19   #3

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I doubt it will even have enough power to get air into the tubes, especially if the non return valves are closed. It wont put any air into the floor at all.
Old 11 July 2014, 22:23   #4

Town: Oop North
I use one to put the volume of air into the tubes, then I use a high pressure pump to fully inflate. They are no good at all for the air deck.
Old 12 July 2014, 00:24   #5

Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
I've got a pump just like that but from Decathlon. It's very good to blow up the boat as it is quite fast but it won't give you the proper pressure, or even get close to that. I have to fully inflate the boat with the foot pump or a compressor.

My boat has HR valves and I just put the pump's air out next to the valve with no adapter. BTW, that pump is great to fully deflate the boat.
Old 12 July 2014, 08:08   #6

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Never felt the need to own a Bravo but I don't deflate and inflate the boat every weekend, it stays up all season. A stirrup pump does a fantastic job at a fraction of the price and will get any HP floor to full pressure with a little effort.

Useful topic here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bravo-b...tml#post407328
Old 12 July 2014, 12:35   #7

Thanks for the replies and the link Max. I can't understand how I missed that thread when I was searching.

I do already have a stirrup pump but it was a visit to Poole over the last few days that did it for me. I have the boat inflated in the garage so I had to deflate it. Then inflate it again for a few hours use, deflate it for travel home then inflate again ready for use in the garage. By the time I had done this I was going off manual pumps!

However I have learned that I have Halkey Roberts valves. Why is it boaty things always have funny names? Someone should do a numpties glossary for all the odd names everybody bandies about when they know what they are doing!
Old 14 July 2014, 16:05   #8

Town: Berks
Boat name: zaros
Make: hondawave
Engine: 20 hp
Hi when I got my honwave I could not afford a good electric pump, I inflate and deflate every time in use her, I bought a 12 volt air bed pump from Lidl £5.99 and used my 12 volt car tyre pump I have in my car. It takes a bit of time to get the last few PSI but it got there, about 30 mins from unloading to inflated, and I had to make a car valve to Boat adaptor with bits of tube and jubilee clips.
Got a Bravo now it's worth every penny.
Old 14 July 2014, 19:30   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by honwave View Post
Got a Bravo now it's worth every penny.
As Clint said in Gran Torino - "Oh yeah"
Old 15 July 2014, 20:15   #10

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I had one of these pumps.

I would echo the comments above. It would inflate my 2.8m SIB and it looked/felt fine. However it performed badly in anything other than flat calm conditions, and l discovered the pump was only managing about 1psi.

So l bit the bullet and paid £120 for the Bravo. This starts as a rotary pump like the cheap ones, but switches to a compressor pump to inflate the boat to the correct 2.4psi.

I never looked back and soon forgot the expense, as the unit is so good.
Old 15 July 2014, 21:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
This starts as a rotary pump like the cheap ones, but switches to a compressor pump to inflate the boat to the correct 2.4psi
Oh... so that's why it suddenly starts to sound like a compressor.

I can't afford a Bravo in the near future but I'll be getting a stirrup pump to replace the rubbish stock foot pump. Does anyone know of a stirrup pump for inflatables with pressure gauge?
Old 15 July 2014, 22:16   #12

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Easy to make/buy a guage and will be more accurate and easy to take with you.
Old 15 July 2014, 22:25   #13

Town: Haugesund
Boat name: Katrina
Make: Hurricane
Length: 6m +
Engine: 100 Hp Merc.
I used a SCUBA tank when I had a SIB that needed deflating/inflating...
geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2014, 07:44   #14
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukinado View Post
I can't afford a Bravo in the near future but I'll be getting a stirrup pump to replace the rubbish stock foot pump. Does anyone know of a stirrup pump for inflatables with pressure gauge?

The Quicksilver double action stirrup pump comes with a gauge. It's well made and not too expensive either.
Old 16 July 2014, 09:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
The Quicksilver double action stirrup pump comes with a gauge. It's well made and not too expensive either.
Thank you very much. I found it at £22 which seems reasonable to me, given the features.
Old 16 July 2014, 20:03   #16

I think the manual pump I have must be the Quicksilver one also then. It is a double action one and has the pressure gauge. It's an excellent bit of kit and works really well. It's just the old duffer (aged 57) operating it that isn't really up to the job. (Once is enough!)

I think I will look out for a second hand Bravo at a sensible price.
Old 16 July 2014, 20:54   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukinado View Post
Thank you very much. I found it at £22 which seems reasonable to me, given the features.
Yes - the best on the market. Buy one.
Old 18 July 2014, 08:02   #18

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Engine: Parsun 15hp
I have the 3.8 air floor Honwave and use a Bravo, the boat is up in 9mins, flat to fully inflated so if you only use the boat now and again, is it still worth the cost-------Oh yes. You may well find as it only takes a few mins to inflate with no effort on your part, you may decide to use the boat more.
One other bonus with these pumps is deflating the boat with them will completely remove all the air so it will fold up better taking less space.

Phil
Old 26 July 2014, 11:50   #19

Well in the end I bought a low pressure Gelert pump for £13.99 on ebay which I can leave to do most of the work as suggested. Just finishing the job off with my excellent Quicksilver manual pump. The new electric pump is pretty low power (Mrs T's hairdryer would do a better job!) but it does all the basic work without fuss. Plus I won't have to confess to Mrs T about any 'adaptions' to her hairdryer.

I think we will use the boat a couple more times this Summer and then go for something less involved. Mrs T fancies a Kayak.

So if anyone happens to be looking for a little-used Quicksilver SIB with a Suzuki 4hp four stroke engine plus some unused boat wheels in a few weeks time..
Old 27 July 2014, 02:06   #20

Town: Northern Alabama, USA
Boat name: Fire Fly
Make: Dong Seo
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
The normal recommendations are usually 3PSI for the tubes, 9.5 PSI for the air floor and 4.5 PSI for the keel. I am going by memory but I'm close. Also if memory serves me, most hand/foot pumps max out at around 3 PSI. I might be wrong. The one thing that I do know is that if not properly inflated, They don't perform as well as they can and wont last as long either.

I leave my dink inflated all of the time at it doesn't lose much air - I Think.
If I had a good High pressure pump, nop doubt, I would take my dink with me when travelling to see my kids and grand kids. Right now, it is too much trouble. I will be ordering the better one in a week or two for almost $200 US Dollars. It comes with a pressure gage and built in rechargeable battery. Completely self contained. I believe it will max out at about 12 PSI which is a little above what I would need for the air floor

I know I will be happy with it.