Old 07 November 2013, 08:29   #41

Town: NSW
Length: 4m +
well how i look at it, bombard aerotec 380, honwave V floor, lodestar v floor, zodiac actiV. all seem to promot V hulls that simulate deep V rib hulls (not confused with just any old rib hull). as per the point of the thread, sibs who have V hulls.
Old 07 November 2013, 08:49   #42

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearRib View Post
I dont suppose anyone has a photo of a honwave from below, am interested in what the hull looks like.
There are a couple of pictures of the hull on this Honwave up for sale in the link below;

Honda Marine Inflatable Air V-Floor T32-1E2 Boat 3.2m | eBay
Old 07 November 2013, 10:09   #43

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
With respect, you seem to be over thinking the floor selection process.

At 3m ish, any sib with either a V air floor or a flat air floor/keel combo will perform in a very similar fashion. In fact the only real difference at this size would be if the floor was completely flat with slats and they perform like a dog.

I have owned 3 Honwaves (2.7, 3.2 & T40) and been really happy with them all, the V floor was great and the only issues I ever had with it was if I under inflated it.

I have also owned 2, 3.1m Zodiacs, a wood floor version and the folding transom Rib version, both boats were good, but I felt the Honwave was bigger, more stable, slammed less and was dryer than the Zodiacs.
Old 07 November 2013, 10:47   #44
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
At 3m ish, any sib with either a V air floor or a flat air floor/keel combo will perform in a very similar fashion.
My experience with a Quicksilver 3.4 airdeck, which I think is fairly typical of the flat floor design, is that it's perfectly usable but a bit floppy in any sort of chop. I've done trips from Portsmouth to Cowes a couple of times with no real dramas, but the floor does move around noticeably. The V floor on the Aerotec is rock solid by comparison.

Just for reference, these are the small boats that I have had over the years:

C Craft, wooden floor, no keel
Avon 400, wooden floor, inflatable keel
Zodiac MkIIc, aluminium floor, inflatable keel
Bombard AX, slatted floor, no keel
Quicksilver 3.4, flat airdeck, inflatable keel
Bombard Aerotec 380, airdeck V floor
Rover RIB lite 3.1, shallow RIB hull with folding transom
Bombard Aerotec 380, airdeck V floor

For me the Aerotecs beat the rest hands down due to the combination of light weight, ease of assembly and performance. I still have two of them, and am only selling one now as we rarely use both at the same time and I need the space.
Old 07 November 2013, 16:28   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
My experience with a Quicksilver 3.4 airdeck, which I think is fairly typical of the flat floor design, is that it's perfectly usable but a bit floppy in any sort of chop.
It takes a real man to admit he has a floppy problem

I think we all agree that the Bombard 380 is streets ahead of all the competition, which is even more amazing considering how long the design has been around.

The Honwave is good, but not quite as good as the Bombard, hence my comments about similarity with flat air floors.
Old 07 November 2013, 17:54   #46

thanks for the link, the honwave does look odd to me now :-)

the aerotec is great, if only you could by them local in OZ/NZ.
Old 07 November 2013, 18:45   #47

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
The Aerotec 380-Airdeck V floor really is an amazing bit of floor engineering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	##1.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	87203   Click image for larger version

Name:	##2.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	87204   Click image for larger version

Name:	##3.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	87205  
Old 07 November 2013, 19:49   #48

oh that makes me sad i cant have one. there are some similarities with the honwave, but no way the honwave is that deep a V.

the 3.4m zodiac light roller (non acti v) is still an option, it is 7 years old but its been stored well.

santa please bring me an aerotec for xmas.
Old 07 November 2013, 20:16   #49

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Get the Honwave...it's a simple choice :-)
Old 07 November 2013, 20:24   #50

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Vaguely on topic, how does the patented Zodiac Acti-V hull differ from other air floors and even their own light roller?

I did have the differences explained to me when I was choosing my boat but it was information overload that day and I've since forgotten.
Old 07 November 2013, 20:28   #51

the activ is like a keel attached to the floor. where as the light roller is just a seperate floor on top of a traditional tube keel.

i think the honwave is probably most cost effective for me, i dont think i could afford a bombard even if they sold them down under.
Old 07 November 2013, 22:51   #52

people keep telling me the 1.5 feet difference between my zodiac and the honwave will make a huge difference for planing and handling chop. it seems odd though because its only 45cm difference, doesnt seem that significant.
Old 08 November 2013, 14:38   #53

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
If budget is an issue, go for the Honwave. Zodiac inflatables use own Zodiac spare parts, standard other brands spare parts doesn't match, both have prohibitive out of this world prices compare to a Honwave. Apple vs a standard PC comparison.-

45 cm difference is not an issue if having a healthy engine and prop and running at least 75% of the max transom rated power while remaing light loaded.-

Happy Boating
Old 08 November 2013, 17:42   #54

Engine: Merc 6hp
If you're looking for a budget v airfloor don't rule out the sunsport. Made in the same factory as the Honwave and almost identical.

Cheers
MOTM
Old 08 November 2013, 19:25   #55

this flex people speak of in honwaves, does it really take you instantly off the plane?

it seems odd as the boat is designed to have a deep V up front then flatten out (which I presume is where some say it flexes like most sibs). i would have thought if its pumped to correct PSI the hull keel will be like a rib hardness as would the floor and aft of hull (nearer transom).
Old 09 November 2013, 16:17   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearRib View Post
this flex people speak of in honwaves, does it really take you instantly off the plane?

it seems odd as the boat is designed to have a deep V up front then flatten out (which I presume is where some say it flexes like most sibs). i would have thought if its pumped to correct PSI the hull keel will be like a rib hardness as would the floor and aft of hull (nearer transom).
In my experience the flex only happens when you have the max HP engine, a fully loaded boat and the floor is not inflated to the correct pressure. Make sure you top the floor up after the boat has been in the water for a while and the temperature has equalised and you wont have a problem.
Old 09 November 2013, 20:42   #57

thanks pirate. thats reassuring.

we found the 2.85 quite cramped for 2. the 3.2m honwave is 40cm longer internally. problem is we cant view one locally only the 2.7m, which the wifey already said seems about same size as the 2.85. ive tried explaining to her its also about getting over a certains size so there is less dragging surface than the 2.85.

will the 3.2m honwave perform (plane quicker) than the 2.85m zodiac?
Old 10 November 2013, 15:36   #58

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
The issue with inflatable decks is that need to be fully inflated to it's max factory working pressures, usually around 12 PSI with gauge and toppeed back once floating on water after some minutes rest for overall presssure to stabilize. If not, will experimemt a water rolling like effect felt under deck at speed, flex issues, much worst on choopy waters. Can't compare the rigidity of a fully PSI inflated Acti V deck against a rib, sorrry both are different water animals with different water behaviours.

Don't go under a 320 mt size sib, wify and you will be bored fast, deck space is vital, a must have. If both 280 and 320 uses same 15 HP engine, 320 should plane faster, less hull drag to overcome when at full throttle going from a dead stop towards plane...

Why do you want an Acti V sib for ? Installation, keeeping issues, lighter weight compared to a 320 standard alum panel floor sib or small rib ?

Happy Boating
Old 10 November 2013, 19:35   #59

we essentially want to go for a sib that has the most RIB like ride. of those you have the activ (zodiac), honwave and of course bombard (which we cannot get locally). the honwave and bombard are slightly different in that they have hard outer hulls (from the high pressure V panels), which is where a lot of the problem with traditional keel sibs comes from with the material on the hull flexing due not being high pressure (only the keel inside is inflated). the bombard is not available locally and would not be an affordable option, even thought he best one :-)

the honwave really is the only suitable choice locally. there are other sibs, but they are just high pressure air floors with inflatable keels.

the reason we need inflatable floor is we live in an apartment with no storage space so needs to be assembled each outing and be light. we thought about a folding transom rib, but its just too tight getting up stairs and we cant afford one anyway. we will not go back to wood/ali floors, they are a ridiculous concept imo, unless you enjoy putting them together. if you have the room to store one you have the room for a rib.
Old 10 November 2013, 19:50   #60

Hey and a special thanks to everyone for their thoughts an opinions, I think there is a wealth of info in this thread, not just for myself but for anyone looking for a good performing SIB, what to look for etc.