Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 28 March 2022, 20:45   #1

Town: Torrance, CA
Length: 4m +
Easiest Method of launching / taking out of saltwater

Hello,

I was wondering if you guys could give some advice (or a video) on the easiest way to get a SIB back out of the water and back into your car? I've been looking at just dropping the boat in off a dock, which is easy, but having a hard time coming up with an easy way of getting back out of the water. Do you just unload everything, then drag it back onto the dock.

Launching/Coming out from the sand requires i lug almost 200lbs across the sand (boat, motor, gear, etc). Trying to see how you guys are tackling this in the saltwater.

Bought a SiB, but have not been able to use it yet due to this issue (multiple surgeries, so there's no way i'm lugging 200lbs across the sand )

Thanks for any advice fam
Old 28 March 2022, 21:00   #2

Town: chorley
Boat name: CAL
Make: Jago
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard 6hp
Transom wheels and a bow dolly?
Old 28 March 2022, 22:08   #3

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Transom wheels and using a slipway is probably the easiest if you've got health issues, or why not a trailer.
Old 28 March 2022, 22:10   #4

Oh, i knew about the transom wheels, but didn't know about the bow dolly. I"ll take a look at that. Thanks for that tip!
Old 28 March 2022, 22:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Transom wheels and using a slipway is probably the easiest if you've got health issues, or why not a trailer.
Is a slipway just the same thing as a boat ramp? If so, lol i did try to use one on my buddy's dinghy last year and it was really slippery and tough to drag the boat back up the ramp when trying to leave. How do you combat that?
Old 29 March 2022, 07:10   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Yes a slipway is what Americans would call a boat ramp.

Slimy/weedy slipways/ramps are an issue in the U.K. too. The big stuff like seaweed you can pull out the way, the green slime throwing some sand/gravel from a neighbouring beach on it can help. In winter I keep a shovel in the back on my car for snow anyway so you can use that (where I am slime is worst in the winter when virtually nobody uses the slip).

It may be safer to use a rope (plenty of advice on launching/recovering with a rope on this site). It has its own issues!
Old 29 March 2022, 08:59   #7

Town: oban
Boat name: The Liability
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I could not agree more , I have used transon wheels , bow wheels etc ( which i still used ) but the trailer is the best fix in the end.
Old 29 March 2022, 11:38   #8

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Rope & trailer on slippery slip/boat ramp.
Vehicle drives away towing the trailer up the ramp using the rope until you're in a position to hook it up properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
That's a really good video for anyone who's not done this before ....just a few things I would add....
* Be aware of the breaking strain of the rope you're using Vs the weight of your rig / gradient of slipway etc. If you catch a rock/pothole on the slip on the way back up you don't want to snap your tow-rope.
* Don't rely on just your winch-strop when pulling back out. Always back it up with the painter or some form of backup. Winch catches DO fail.
* Don't let anyone (including passers-by) walk behind the trailer until you're on flat ground or secure.
* If you have an un-braked trailer, or if you have a braked trailer and have to transfer from rope to tow-hitch on a slope, make sure you securely chock the trailer. Trailer brakes are auto-reverse and are not reliable in reverse, even with the handbrake on.
* If you can, keep the rope attached at both ends until your trailer is on the hitch. But don't reverse over the tow-rope
ETA. I wonder if transom wheels & bow wheels could be used carefully the same way?
Old 29 March 2022, 17:44   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
I wonder if transom wheels & bow wheels could be used carefully the same way?
Almost certainly but you'd want to be VERY gentle and careful. Its one thing being a bit rough with a steel trailer and proper bearings its another when you are pulling on the fabric and some very simple plastic bushes.

If there's no trailer a separate winch connected to the car may be a better option - it will be slower but that is better for the wheels/bearings and you will have more feel for the strain on the fittings etc. It would be very easy to get a transom wheel stuck in something and not notice before the car pulled the front off. With a manual winch I think you'd notice it was harder work than usual.
Old 01 April 2022, 20:46   #10

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
The slipways/ramps in UK can vary in how steep they are. It's of course easier at high tide. I take everything out the boat first except the outboard. Good grip on your footwear helps with the slippy moss and seaweed
Old 02 April 2022, 00:33   #11
Spammer

Easiest way is to get a lighter boat and do this.
Old 02 April 2022, 00:46   #12
Spammer

Second easiest : make 2 new friends