Old 30 October 2020, 14:50   #21

Town: Paignton
Make: sunsport
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 9.9
Right, I've ordered a drysuit with p zip and a VHF radio from Trident UK. May have to change the lifejacket but maybe try it out first. The main thing I guess is to expel as much as the air in the drysuit.
Old 30 October 2020, 15:03   #22

Thanks for the advice, apologies for probably asking stupid questions but its my first sib and its best to ask if you don't know, cheers guys
Old 30 October 2020, 15:06   #23

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsport350 View Post
Thanks for the advice, apologies for probably asking stupid questions but its my first sib and its best to ask if you don't know, cheers guys

Not a stupid question. You asked for advice, got it, took it on board, made a decision. Fair play.
The usual MO is to ask for advice then argue against it[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 15:08   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Not a stupid question. You asked for advice, got it, took it on board, made a decision. Fair play.
The usual MO is to ask for advice then argue against it[emoji6]
Cheers.
Old 30 October 2020, 15:19   #25

Just found this on youtube
Old 30 October 2020, 15:20   #26

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
i find if i am launching on the slipway if i wade out to a depth that the waters mid belly low chest and pull open the neck seal you will get most of the air out also i wear tight rock boots so theirs no room for air around my feet.
Old 30 October 2020, 17:54   #27

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
I just bought a Crewsaver one.... I will let you know how I get on with it
Old 30 October 2020, 18:15   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
Cheers that would be good. I was looking at that one but wanted a p zip so opted for the Trident custom one as always wanted a piddle when out on the jetski in a wetsuit.
Old 31 October 2020, 15:08   #29

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Wade out into mid thigh water crack the p zip then fasten it and wade out to mid chest then crack the neck seal
Old 31 October 2020, 15:18   #30

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Or crouch into a ball and crack the neck seal if you don't want get wet
Old 31 October 2020, 15:57   #31

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
Or crouch into a ball and crack the neck seal if you don't want get wet

Easiest way [emoji106]
Old 31 October 2020, 16:22   #32

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Easiest way [emoji106]
not if your ball shaped when your stood up
Old 31 October 2020, 18:14   #33

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old 01 November 2020, 20:01   #34

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post

Have to vent the lower suit separately
Old 06 November 2020, 07:56   #35

Quote:
My Crewsaver Atacama XXL Dry Suit has arrived and sadly it is going straight back in the packet and being returned. The suit actually fits well but the Neoprene neck is way way too tight. It actually restricts breathing significantly and causes me to panic. to be fair I have a 19 inch neck which is quite short.

I have seen info on the web that shows you how to stretch this but to be honest I dont think there is any way I will ever feel comfortable in this.

Obviously I dont want to cut it to see if it will be ok as then I cannot send it back

I will have to stick to my flotation suit as this is not for me. If you also have a thick neck and dont like tight things around it I would advise not to get one as obviously they need to be tight to work
Old 06 November 2020, 08:57   #36

Quote:
My Crewsaver Atacama XXL Dry Suit has arrived and sadly it is going straight back in the packet and being returned. The suit actually fits well but the Neoprene neck is way way too tight. It actually restricts breathing significantly and causes me to panic. to be fair I have a 19 inch neck which is quite short.

I have seen info on the web that shows you how to stretch this but to be honest I dont think there is any way I will ever feel comfortable in this.

Obviously I dont want to cut it to see if it will be ok as then I cannot send it back

I will have to stick to my flotation suit as this is not for me. If you also have a thick neck and dont like tight things around it I would advise not to get one as obviously they need to be tight to work
Thanks for the update, mine arrived yesterday, the neck is also tight I havent a thick neck but on my wetsuit it was the same but was ok after I had worn it a couple of times so I'll persevere with it as it will stretch a bit hopefully.
Old 06 November 2020, 09:05   #37
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
smallribber - my neck is not as fat as yours but the first times I wore a dry suit I felt the same way. You do get used to it.

sunsport - I think you've made a good choice. I understand why you went the RNLI for advice, but I think the tell tale signs were that he had to phone for advice himself - very few people can be an expert in all aspects of boats safety, from sea kayaks to ribs to yachts and the advice is not necessarily directly transferrable. I think the fact he was encouraging wetsuit over drysuit for use on a high speed open boat in winter when you weren't planning to actually go in the water probably tells us he has little real experience of the type of boating you plan.

Tie that VHF on though - don't just clip it - if you hit the water at 20 knots the clip can easily fail.
Old 06 November 2020, 09:13   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
smallribber - my neck is not as fat as yours but the first times I wore a dry suit I felt the same way. You do get used to it.

sunsport - I think you've made a good choice. I understand why you went the RNLI for advice, but I think the tell tale signs were that he had to phone for advice himself - very few people can be an expert in all aspects of boats safety, from sea kayaks to ribs to yachts and the advice is not necessarily directly transferrable. I think the fact he was encouraging wetsuit over drysuit for use on a high speed open boat in winter when you weren't planning to actually go in the water probably tells us he has little real experience of the type of boating you plan.

Tie that VHF on though - don't just clip it - if you hit the water at 20 knots the clip can easily fail.
The radio arrived with the drysuit and its all working ok did a radio check. Good point about not just trusting the clip. I wanted as much info as possible and then make my decision obviously this forum will have alot of experience, so yes I'm happy with my decision to get a dry suit and I will try it out at some point. Thanks Poly
Old 06 November 2020, 12:03   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsport350 View Post
Thanks for the update, mine arrived yesterday, the neck is also tight I havent a thick neck but on my wetsuit it was the same but was ok after I had worn it a couple of times so I'll persevere with it as it will stretch a bit hopefully.
I have been in contact with Crewsaver and they have been very helpful re how to stretch the neck and also how it is designed to have the Neoprene cut to fit better. The Problem is it is so tight I cant actually see it working. I measured the hole at no stretch and it is 14 Inches and on a 19 inch neck that is one heck of a stretch. They told me how to cut it but also confirmed that If I do cut it and it is still too tight I cant send it back. So sort of between a rock and a hard place. I aint going to risk £300 by cutting it.

I have asked them if they could send me a neck only from the same suit that I could cut as a try to see if it might be possible. I am waiting on a response to that email

The rest of the suit is very good and fits well I very much want to like it but if my nexk is being strangled it aint much good to me.

I find it hard to believe that others who have bought this suit must not have had similar problems
Old 06 November 2020, 12:11   #40

Quote:
I have been in contact with Crewsaver and they have been very helpful re how to stretch the neck and also how it is designed to have the Neoprene cut to fit better. The Problem is it is so tight I cant actually see it working. I measured the hole at no stretch and it is 14 Inches and on a 19 inch neck that is one heck of a stretch. They told me how to cut it but also confirmed that If I do cut it and it is still too tight I cant send it back. So sort of between a rock and a hard place. I aint going to risk £300 by cutting it.

I have asked them if they could send me a neck only from the same suit that I could cut as a try to see if it might be possible. I am waiting on a response to that email
Dont blame you for not wanting to risk cutting the neck, I have a 17.5 inch neck, its tight but not unbearably, similar to how my wetsuit was at first. Trident do a custom suit which isn't too expensive. Hope you can get sorted.