Old 18 August 2011, 16:10   #1

Town: Cambridge
Make: Quicksilver airdeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: mariner 4hp
dithering over a solid versus aero floor

I was on the verge of ordering a SIB with an aero deck, and then stalled, thinking, maybe I should go for a solid deck! At this stage I don't want to trailer, so want to be able to put together at the destination then pack for the home trip.. and the ONLY thing preventing me from going solid floor is worry that they are just too much hassle, even after getting used to doing it, and there will be times when I'm setting up on my own.
I would be very grateful for comments and advice so I can finally order my SIB!
many thanks
Mark
Old 18 August 2011, 16:18   #2

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: Twahtzoo 20hp
MMSI: 235906188
Many of us have been through the same head scratching.

here's 1 vote for a well made and robust AERO deck!!!!!!! Just make sure you inflate to the correct psi.

Vote for aero deck as I carry boat (in its bag) on roof of car and set up on my own.
Old 18 August 2011, 16:19   #3

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
I have had a solid floor in a Bombard and assembly gets old REALLLY fast. I got a trailer after ~6 times.

So I would vote Aero as more suited for your needs/desires even though I have never had one.
Old 18 August 2011, 16:20   #4

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
If fishing off it i would go solid floor myself.
Old 18 August 2011, 16:47   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by general123 View Post
I don't want to trailer, so want to be able to put together at the destination then pack for the home trip
Having had various of both types it's Airdeck for me, no hesitation.

The inflatable V floor (eg Bombard Aerotec, Honwave) outperform the flat air deck with an inflatable keel (eg Quicksilver). What are you planning to use it for, and where?
Old 18 August 2011, 17:06   #6

Town: Cambridge
Make: Quicksilver airdeck
Engine: mariner 4hp
My short-list for aero-deck is Quicksilver 310 Air Deck deluxe, and the Zodiac Cadet Fastroller 325 Acti-V. The Zodiac is more expensive but probably worth the extra??
I intend the SIB for inshore and estuaries and inland rivers, basically a funboat for me and my wife, not as a tender to a big yacht because I can't afford one of those
I plan to fish from it and am working on getting my wife doing a bit of fishing too. I'm a complete novice but have booked a RYA Level 2 course.
Old 18 August 2011, 17:16   #7

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
airdeck everytime and i fish from mine !
Old 18 August 2011, 17:43   #8

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
solid floor, but only if it's alloy. Otherwise airdeck

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 17:44   #9

Town: Lancashire
Length: 5m +
Go Aero 100% if not trailering. I got bored of putting the ali floor up after 3 times. It really does get old fast. Though im glad i got a trailer as now i dont have to do a damn thing and my car can carry 5 of the pals again as i dont need to fold the seats down and cram to the roof with boat stuff
Old 18 August 2011, 18:00   #10

Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard
We have used a wooden floor for years, and it is no real bother on the 10 foot Avon. The new boat has an airfloor and really impresses me.

The weight of the air deck boat uninflated is the same as inflated, so it really takes two people to handle it readilly. Once inflated, it is lighter than the wood floor boat and a joy for two people to manhandle.

The wooden floor is handled separate from the boat fabric and is more compact in storage. The package with the floor is basically flat, so packing it away is simple. The fabric less floor boards is not as bulky as the boat with the air deck, so may be easier to store.

We are fishermen, so we have a pad to protect the air deck. People talk about hooks in the floor, but it is the tubes we watch, and it is the same concern with either floor material.

I understand where you are coming from, as we are campers and the inflatables fit nicely in our plans. Throw it in the trailer and forget about it until it is needed. No trailer required and less fuss than a larger boat.
Old 18 August 2011, 18:44   #11

Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
I am a fan of the ali floor.

I had the air floor model and didnt like the floor as for me it wasnt firm enough and did flex a bit when at speed.

Upgraded to a 3.8 meter ali floor model and I setup and pack dow and can launch recover on my own with launch wheels and i think the ali floor model is alot more stable and provides a much better deck. Imagine realing in a big fish whilst standing on a bouncy castle. (Bit of exageration but you get what i mean)

Good luck with the SIB search.
Old 20 August 2011, 12:23   #12

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Aero Deck gets my vote - much lighter than a solid floor which is great when you launch the boat and it is also easier if you need to pack the boat away.

Keith (look what I've just found (()) ) Hart

PS. It's a very old joke that some 'older' members of the forum may appreciate.
Old 20 August 2011, 16:10   #13

Town: midlands
Boat name: robeena
Make: honwave
Engine: twatsu 40
I have a honwave t40 with alloy floor and 40hp tohatsu for sale in the ribs for sale fella.2011 boat 2006 motor.?
TIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 19:12   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Welcome back Keith (where have you been hiding?) Hart!
Old 21 August 2011, 20:00   #15

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
For short day trip jaunts with minimal gear, the airdeck makes sense. If you plan on loading the SIB with awkward gear for longer outings, a hard deck is far better. If you know a couple of little tricks, a hard deck should only add 2 minutes of assembly time when alone, and 1 minute if with someone else. It will take up more space in a vehicle when folded however.

Also make sure you get launching wheels and a 12V (or 24v depending on your vehicle) electric air pump regardless of which way you go. This will allow you to quickly assemble the boat right beside your vehicle, then roll the assembled boat to the shoreline.
Old 22 August 2011, 17:32   #16

I have the honwave t40 ali deck, only takes 20mins to set up. the worst part is packing it back up as I like to put it away clean and dry but I suppose a airfloor would be the same if you wanted to look after it. ali floor all the way for me, piece of mind knowing my friends are not going to burst it.
Old 23 August 2011, 13:18   #17

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Also don't discount a quality marine plywoood wood floor either. A wood floor can have some advantages over an aluminum floor. If you initially treat the wood floor with some high end marine epoxy (such as West System's 123) and reapply it every few years, it will last at least as long as the aluminum. Advantages of wood floor boards include;

A) Wood floor boards are much easier to modify with anchor points and such.

B) Wood floor boards are less expensive and can be quickly replaced by a local woodworker. Replacement aluminum boards could be on backorder for who knows how long.

C) You can easily make up additional wood floor boards that have different anchorage configurations suited to how you plan to use the boat on any particular outing.
Old 23 August 2011, 16:52   #18

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Mr Boops
Make: HONWAVE
Engine: 18Hp Tohatsu 2stroke
Honwave T35 Alu floor keep it pumped up you only need a pissy little trailer,no winch needed, launch and retrieve dead easy very stable on the water no flexing.
I made a trailer out of unistrut(pics on here somewhere), so light i can put trailer on its side out of the way on a slip much better than building it all up and breaking it down every time.
Towing wise you dont even know you have anything on the back of the car.
The aero decks seem twitchy but better/deeper v hull so maybe handle better on flat seas but the bigger they are maybe thats when they flex a bit?
Old 24 August 2011, 01:52   #19

Engine: Yam 15,25, Tohatsu 6
My 2011 Achilles LSI 365 has a looong air floor but when I got it last week I was surprised to feel something solid under my feet in 2 sections. There are (and they don't advertise this) two epoxy coated marine plywood sections (one is about 20" and the other about 10" under the air floor that are attached to the bottom with straps and fold nicely with the boat. Kind of a hybrid wood slat plus aerodeck floor. Only been out once but it was brilliant underway.
Old 24 August 2011, 07:07   #20

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
The air floor has many advantages but if you don't need to dismantle then I would go solid. Even the air floor is a pain to inflate/deflates, fold up, take home, re-inflate to clean, pack away again...

I got fed up with all this and now leave it fully inflated all the time and pop it on the roof of the Land Rover for use (I really dislike using a trailer) - so much simpler and ready in seconds - store inflated in the garage and just dismantle for the winter. Best solution if you can store it somewhere.