Old 24 August 2011, 18:03   #21

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Even the air floor is a pain to inflate/deflates, fold up, take home, re-inflate to clean, pack away again...

Hmmm...depends on your attitude. We are in the middle of a holiday in the Skye/Lochalsh area with the Zodiac 3.8 Fastroller... its first proper trial since we bought it new a couple of months ago.

We are arriving at the launch sites daily with no visible signs we are carrying a boat and quite a few holidaymakers are astounded to see us pull the kit out of the back of an ordinary estate and in 30mins or so produce a boat with a 15hp outboard that planes off into the distance. Ditto for the arriving back at a slipway and packing the whole thing into the car.

I will say one thing though.... been using an inflatable for a few years now... never ever been so smooth and relaxed as now we have a Bravo pump... it makes a massive difference.

I'm going to do a full report with some images when we come back but suffice to say the air floor is fine in all respects for leisure use. 19mph 4-up and been in some larger chop/waves than planned. Feels very safe and the air floor is actually very comfy on the legs, backside and knees when conditions get a bit rough.
Old 24 August 2011, 18:40   #22

Town: Lancashire
Length: 5m +
Max, is it not hard to get it on the roof? I couldnt get mine on the roof as its really too bulky and heavy to lift up, thats just on an golf. Must be a struggle on a Landy! Id second that a solid floor is preferable if not needing to dismantle every use.
Old 24 August 2011, 21:24   #23

Town: Northwest
Make: Humber
Engine: Merc 60
Trailering is very much the best option as you can store the boat inflated which minimizes any potential damage to the boat.

If you are looking for a good SIB/ trailer package PM me as I have a little used 4.2 metre Tohatsu SIB with a De Graaff trailer for sale. I have just replaced it with a 5m rib. Very reasonable price.

Regards

Buzzin Hornet
Old 24 August 2011, 23:15   #24

Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 15,25, Tohatsu 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>Even the air floor is a pain to inflate/deflates, fold up, take home, re-inflate to clean, pack away again...

Hmmm...depends on your attitude. We are in the middle of a holiday in the Skye/Lochalsh area with the Zodiac 3.8 Fastroller... its first proper trial since we bought it new a couple of months ago.

We are arriving at the launch sites daily with no visible signs we are carrying a boat and quite a few holidaymakers are astounded to see us pull the kit out of the back of an ordinary estate and in 30mins or so produce a boat with a 15hp outboard that planes off into the distance. Ditto for the arriving back at a slipway and packing the whole thing into the car.

I will say one thing though.... been using an inflatable for a few years now... never ever been so smooth and relaxed as now we have a Bravo pump... it makes a massive difference.

I'm going to do a full report with some images when we come back but suffice to say the air floor is fine in all respects for leisure use. 19mph 4-up and been in some larger chop/waves than planned. Feels very safe and the air floor is actually very comfy on the legs, backside and knees when conditions get a bit rough.
Fenlander,
great to hear the boat performed well.
look forward to a full review of you zodiac acti-v
Achilles
Old 25 August 2011, 06:58   #25

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
That's the beauty of an inflatable - you can pack it up and inflate wherever it's needed, but if you have the facility and are regurlarly not going far then leaving it inflated and transporting like that is so much easier/quicker and probably less wearing to the fabric etc. After sea use it always needs cleaning out to get rid of abrasive sand/stones that sit between the tubes/floor/seams.

A typical 3.4 is under 40KG so a cinch for two to lift onto a roof:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/sib-on-car-roof-42774.html
Old 25 August 2011, 08:40   #26

When you're in the boat and on the water a solid deck works best, though an airdeck is comfey on the knees. However, as many have said the thought of all the work in putting a hard floor in will prevent you using it much.

Have just been on holiday with a 3.5m Zodiac with plywood floor and putting the floor in was a rotten job, but I'd borrowed a trailer from a friend and so only had to do it once.

Whatever you use an electric pump is advised. If you can't run to the Bravo I use a cheap camping store £12 pump to put in the bulk of the air and then top off to pressure with a hand pump. Not ideal, but better than hand pump all the way.
Old 25 August 2011, 17:05   #27

Town: Cambridge
Make: Quicksilver airdeck
Engine: mariner 4hp
I have ended up going for an air-deck (Quicksilver Air Deck Deluxe) so was pleased to see Fenlander's post regarding the SIB use on holiday because that's exactly what I plan to do now and again, and it is because of holiday trips that I went for an airdeck.
Regarding trailering, I can see the practicality, and I might even use one one day, but I have a covered trailer at home and another trailer would be a pain logistically.
I like the idea of putting it on the roof like you do Max, can you travel at a decent speed with it loaded?
Old 25 August 2011, 17:31   #28

Absolutely - use lots of secure tie downs of course. It's rock solid and fits the roof like a glove. I'm going no where in a hurry with my boat though - the Landy clutch gave out south of Paris last week but we made it home...
Old 28 August 2011, 04:23   #29

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberstoker View Post

Have just been on holiday with a 3.5m Zodiac with plywood floor and putting the floor in was a rotten job, but I'd borrowed a trailer from a friend and so only had to do it once.
I you are doing it right, installing the plywood floor boards should be a snap, and should only add 1-2 minutes to the assembly. Make sure that you place your oars on the ground beneath the boat when installing the floorboards to give the effect of 2 parallel rails that keep the fabric off the ground. It gives you that extra bit of finger space between the boards and the ground when you slip in the stringers.
Old 28 August 2011, 16:29   #30

Town: Inkberrow
Make: Quicksilver 340 AD
Engine: 1992 Evinrude 20HP
My 340 airdeck floor really bucks up even at max pressure when going at full speed...still flexes...I´m assuming it´s a common problem with the air floor?...can really feel the movement under me when planing across bay... others in same boat?
Old 28 August 2011, 16:38   #31
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Yes, that's exactly what I'd expect with the Quicksilver type air floor. It can be a bit off-putting but isn't likely to cause a crisis.

The other type of air deck where the floor itself forms the V of the hull is much more rigid.
Old 28 August 2011, 17:49   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryden View Post
My 340 airdeck floor really bucks up even at max pressure when going at full speed...still flexes...I´m assuming it´s a common problem with the air floor?...can really feel the movement under me when planing across bay... others in same boat?
Weight distribution is the key to stopping this - mine does exactly the same if it isn't right - lots of previous topics on this (you get a sort of 'bubble' of air under the boat that moves back in waves). We found by gradually moving people or weight back slowly it disappears altogether.

Weight forward to get on plane then back to eliminate the flexing. Lovely once you have it sorted. Make sure air floor is to max pressure with a guage first.
Old 28 August 2011, 18:52   #33

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
solid floor, but only if it's alloy. Otherwise airdeck
Ok, new SIB has got wood floor. Was very easy to put in, stringers were easy too. I haven't had the chance to test it on the water, but I've been pleasantly surprised so far. I'm going to guess that an Alloy floor is lighter though and the wood adds a significant weight to the boat. Aero would be lighter still. Fully assembled it's slightly too heavy and awkard to handle but ones self. Wheels in the pipeline

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2011, 11:28   #34

Town: Inkberrow
Make: Quicksilver 340 AD
Engine: 1992 Evinrude 20HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Weight distribution is the key to stopping this - mine does exactly the same if it isn't right - lots of previous topics on this (you get a sort of 'bubble' of air under the boat that moves back in waves). We found by gradually moving people or weight back slowly it disappears altogether.

Weight forward to get on plane then back to eliminate the flexing. Lovely once you have it sorted. Make sure air floor is to max pressure with a guage first.
Thanks mate... it was offputting at first...especially when the missus is in the boat ready to panic at anything possible...

I do check the air pressures every time before a trip out... I will try the weight forward then back trick...but think I may have to adjust my trim first.

All a bit more sensitive as I know I have a 20hp 2 stroke sitting on the 340.. ;-)
Old 30 August 2011, 11:56   #35

Just to clarify - ..."moving people back slowly..." - what I mean is the *first time* you try this move them slowly until you find the point where the flexing stops.
Old 30 August 2011, 12:19   #36

I'll get round to my proper report with some pics soon but I'm pleased to find my Zodiac 360 is pretty even tempered with regard to the air floor. Carrying a total of 40 stones (between 4 of us, not saying what the split is though!) plus kit it will pop on the plane easily with the 15hp Mariner. Moving weight about over the first few miles soon sorted the best distribution. The air floor doesn't suffer any humping that affects performance whatever the weight distribution (within reason). You do feel undulations at times that I liken to sliding over a whale's back but I expect that of an air floor.

When only two up the floor seems to be able to slide over the water even better with less distortion and performance is lively, even skittish,
Old 31 August 2011, 09:15   #37

BTW a page back Max said... "if you have the facility and are regurlarly not going far then leaving it inflated and transporting like that is so much easier/quicker"

Absolutely agree. It's all about your own way of using the boat. If I wanted the "hassle" of a trailer I'd have a GRP boat or RIB around 4m rigged with remotes but I want a boat to pack in the car to travel and tuck away packed in the shed/garage when not in use so it has to be an inflatable with tiller steer outboard.

When I decided on an air floor Zodiac I thought carrying the boat down river banks and beaches was crucial so the ultimate lightness seemed important and my engine was a 9.8 Tohatsu so that was easy to carry to the boat. But once I realised a 3.6m boat with 4 folks really needed a 15hp then carrying became a problem again so I went the transom wheel route and we now organise our trips around slipways which has worked really well.

So now transom wheels are in use the boat weight isn't quite so crucial and perhaps the need for an air floor isn't quite so great given that in new Zodiacs the cost is around an extra £300-£400 for a 360 Fastroller over a 340S hard floor Cadet. The difference is nearer £150 with Honwaves though, don't know about other makes.
Old 31 August 2011, 09:56   #38

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I was having a think this morning. Has anyone experience of fitting a solid floor when trying to deploy their SIB from a RIB. I guess Nasher will be the one to ask, but I think all his experience is with inflatable floors.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote