Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 09 June 2012, 11:51   #1

Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 8hp
Custom made spray splash water protection for Zodiac

Hello everyone

I have a small Zodiac inflatable on a lake in Switzerland. As soon as there is more than I light breeze with some waves building up, me and my family risk getting soaking wet! This might be funny on a hot summer day but definitely spoils any trip with kids on cooler days!

As I found no useful spray water protection anywhere, I have made one myself. It works perfectly! Therefore, I would like to share my idea here hoping it helps someone in a similar situation.

I was inspired by the splash water protection of our old Sport Yak. In the past, that banana-shape protection came with those dinghys and protects quite well when rowing out to your boat.

So I tinkered the shape of such a protection with cardboard and taped it on my Zodiac. It was quite tricky to make it fit smoothly and to define the forward leaning position.

Then I brought the finished cardboard shape to a local plastic processing company to cut it from 2mm extruded polycarbonated sheet. This material is quite flexible and tough at the same time. The finished protection can be rolled to a 50cm roll. I hesitated between 2mm and 3mm and decided for the 2mm because of its lightness. However, 3mm might be a better choice for a larger protection. 3mm would also exist UV-resistant, which might be a good choice for a protection that stays outdoor all the time. (Mine is stored in the basement when not used. I wonder how it preserves over the months and years.)

Here's the way I chose to attach the protection quickly but strongly to the Zodiac:

There are 6 fixing parts like this on my Zodiac. A little plastic clamp (as found on jackets and sleeping bags) lets me quickly tighten a cord going through holes I drilled into the sheet. The cord loops around the small pollard and is finally secured it with a knot.
This might be the difficult part on some inflatable types where additional attachment eyes might be required.

Some more pictures of the protection from different sides:

At the front, I tighten down the protection with a belt, which gives a lot more stability in rough conditions:

To prevent the protection from damaging the Zodiac PVC, I put a 2mm U-shaped rubber-profile over its lower edge.

The material plus the cutting work cost me about 200 Swiss Francs. My first experience with it shows that the protection is worth its money.

I'll update this thread later about its long-time use an I plan on adding a video.

Swissmorgy
Old 18 April 2013, 19:48   #2

Old 18 April 2013, 19:57   #3

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Nice one I should look into doing that

Old 18 April 2013, 20:01   #4

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Is there not a danger that if you stuff into a wave the bow won't lift back up, due to the shape of the windscreen acting a bit like a scoop.
Old 18 April 2013, 20:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Is there not a danger that if you stuff into a wave the bow won't lift back up, due to the shape of the windscreen acting a bit like a scoop.
I don't think the screen would withstand such powers. It would probably just plop off as the material is quite flexible. Or the fixing parts would slip off. And remember it's not meant for the sea and heavy conditions! It's more of a "family comfort protection".

Swissmorgy
Old 18 April 2013, 20:26   #6

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Fair doo's