Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 07 August 2021, 14:47   #1

Town: Huddersfield
Make: Yamaha
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 8hp Petrol
Couple of nights camping from our 3.1m Yamaha..Any thoughts?

Hi all...

The missus and I aren't great campers. We have both camped and do have all the basics however.

Looking for suggestions for fun places to go. For example maybe camping by Ullswater or maybe a Scottish loch - on an island perhaps? Only a couple of nights at most.

I've heard Loch Awe is pretty sound. Any ideas folks?

Ian
Old 07 August 2021, 14:55   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Why Loch Awe? Whilst it’s nice enough you’ll probably have passed various options on the way there. Rather than pick one destination Id have two or three in mind for different conditions and pick at the time. Have a look at The Gurnards posts on YouTube (or here) for possible inspiration. Just keep in mind he’s a salty old sea dog who has learned from plenty of mistakes as well as a lifetime around the sea and close connections to sea kayakers so has a better than average understanding of the effect of tide, wind etc.
Old 07 August 2021, 15:31   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Ardmair Point north of Ullapool has a good campsite. There is a tight slipway too that they use for going across to Isle Martin, but if you have a SIB you can build and launch from the beach. Depending on your experience, if you're a fair weather boater then you can explore inner Loch Broom and the area around Ullapool which can be sheltered, but if you're experienced, then you're at the gateway to the Summer Isles and arguably some of the best boating on the west coast, short of hopping over to Lewis and Harris courtesy of Caledonian Macbrayne, but not for 2 days.

Ardmair Point also has chalets you can rent for the week. Everything will be booked up now until October, but something for next year maybe. We've seen otters there too on a summer evening.
Old 07 August 2021, 15:52   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Tayvalich has a camp site. There’s a free slipway with pontoons near the cafe into a sheltered bay in loch sween you can go inland best at high water which is interesting then down the loch about 10 miles into the sound of Jura google earth it to see options from there depending on experience. There is another slip taking the road opposite the cafe but not as good. The beauty of it you will get some boating done no matter what the weather.
Old 08 August 2021, 23:20   #5
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Tayvalich has a camp site. There’s a free slipway with pontoons near the cafe into a sheltered bay in loch sween you can go inland best at high water which is interesting then down the loch about 10 miles into the sound of Jura google earth it to see options from there depending on experience. There is another slip taking the road opposite the cafe but not as good. The beauty of it you will get some boating done no matter what the weather.

I’m fairly sure on a recent visit the wording has changed and you are expected to pay for the slip even if not using the pontoon. The “other” slipway at Carsaig (direct into sound of jura) should be fine for a 3.1m boat - the question would be if the boat/engine is suited to whatever the sound is doing that day.
Old 08 August 2021, 23:24   #6
RIBnet admin team

Spartacus - might be a bit far from Huddersfield for a couple of nights camping though? Must be 8hrs each way?
Old 09 August 2021, 07:56   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Spartacus - might be a bit far from Huddersfield for a couple of nights camping though? Must be 8hrs each way?
Indeed, but what a weekend! The OP would be better hiring one of their chalets next year, that way they have a base to explore the area. We camped, but we're used to fighting midges, launch and retrieve and living out of the boot of a car for a few days.

These are from a few years ago, but you get the idea. Our trusty petrol-Coleman cooked up a feast, and you can see the slipway is as tight as a gnat's chuff. If I was launching here again, I'd use ropes to lower the trailer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	138404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0354.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	138405   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0353.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	138406  
Old 09 August 2021, 07:57   #8

Town: Huddersfield
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Yam 8hp Petrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Yeh a bit far that chaps. Not bad for a week, but a couple of nights needs to be a lot nearer really. Thanks for the info though, some good ideas there for future reference. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Old 09 August 2021, 11:00   #9
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamair View Post
Yeh a bit far that chaps. Not bad for a week, but a couple of nights needs to be a lot nearer really. Thanks for the info though, some good ideas there for future reference. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Whilst its a bit of a cliche and I'd generally say its a bit over-rated - I would suggest for simplicity and coming from "down south", Loch Lomond will provide you with what you want relatively simply if you want "fresh water". You will need to register, and there are restrictions on where you can camp etc - but its kind of a bit of a ready made 'theme park' for exactly the sort of trip you describe!

If you are considering the sea then you have other options around the various arms of the Firth of Clyde if your boat/engine are suitable for the conditions (beware assuming L. Lomond is benign - I've experienced waves there that sent us running for shelter on a day when friends 30 miles a way in the clyde were waterskiing on a flat calm).
Old 09 August 2021, 11:20   #10
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
and you can see the slipway is as tight as a gnat's chuff. If I was launching here again, I'd use ropes to lower the trailer!
Holy moly, that would be an interesting call to the insurance company!
Old 09 August 2021, 18:50   #11

RIBase
I do Oban for a couple of nights bit further than Huddersfield for me takes me about seven hours worth it to me.
Last time I was there bit before covid the slip was free but the pontoons £5/night at tayvalich must have changed as it did at Ganavan sands.
Old 09 August 2021, 19:00   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I do Oban for a couple of nights bit further than Huddersfield for me takes me about seven hours worth it to me.
Last time I was there bit before covid the slip was free but the pontoons £5/night at tayvalich must have changed as it did at Ganavan sands.

Back in the day, we used to do Oban for a weekend, knackering but worth it. I’m older & wiser now[emoji849]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2021, 19:08   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Back in the day, we used to do Oban for a weekend, knackering but worth it. I’m older & wiser now[emoji849]
Aye you young ones give up too quick
Old 09 August 2021, 20:36   #14

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Spartacus

Could you not launch down the stones rather than use the slip?

Tags
yamaha