Old 25 May 2014, 10:38   #1

Town: Cadiz
Boat name: Manolo
Make: narwhal
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki
Copying RIB.NET

Hello

They're making illicit use of the brand and logo, please find attached the links where you can see using his image in Spain.

Newsletter patents SPAIN
http://www.oepm.es/es/signos_distintivos/detalle.html?ref=M% 203108662

USING YOUR COMPANY IMAGE
http://www.marineglue.es/

I disagree with anyone who copy so I put knowledge to take legal action.

regards
Old 25 May 2014, 16:53   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Generally speaking you can't do much about suing somebody if your material has not been legally copyrighted in the country that's infringing your rights.

That's why big reputed brands work hand in hand with trademarks and patents law offices in most countries worldwide to protect their names, logos, etc when wise guys uses them liberally and freely. You can get their attention, but that would be just about all.

Happy Boatting
Old 25 May 2014, 18:29   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Genaro - thanks for posting, I have highlighted this thread to Social Knowledge for them to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Generally speaking you can't do much about suing somebody if your material has not been legally copyrighted in the country that's infringing your rights.

That's why big reputed brands work hand in hand with trademarks and patents law offices in most countries worldwide to protect their names, logos, etc when wise guys uses them liberally and freely. You can get their attention, but that would be just about all.

Happy Boatting
I've no idea how it works in Peru, but in the UK (where the logo was designed), America (where the site is owned) and Spain (where the alleged infringement is taking place) neither copyright nor trademarks actually require registration to be enforced. Enforcement is potentially easier for registered intellectual property but mostly because they extend to similar work/marks rather than direct rip offs. Certainly in the UK ISPs are usually fairly quick to remove offending material (and often the whole site!) where the alleged infringer doesn't take action themselves.
Old 26 May 2014, 07:01   #4

Town: Cadiz
Boat name: Manolo
Make: narwhal
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki
They can report through the patent office, bring a lawsuit if paralyzed the trade mark in Spain.

They should go to this link; Oficina Española de Patentes y Marcas

The brand owner MARINEGLUE is known in Spain for the use of products and designs that are not manufactured by, profiting financially.

Sorry for the translation, my English is not good
Old 26 May 2014, 08:34   #5

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post

Happy Boatting
Be surprised if that's true, I know two small local (to me) companies that have just gone to court over passing off. I had done work for both of them (I supply print, signs, workwear and design services). One of them probably had been sailing a bit too close to the wind with his approach to setting up his business and the other did take some money off of him in court (and forced a name change).

Appreciate that this is in Spain but that is EU ?

I've not even looked at the link, just pointing out that there MAY be something you can do. I didn't expect the case between my two local companies to come to anything and it did.

Tags
rib