Old 19 June 2018, 16:22   #1

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Coniston Water

We are going on holiday to the Lake District next month and are staying on the shores of Coniston Water.

I have only ever been on Windermere so is it similar. As in 6/10mph speed limits? What’s it like for SIB use (we loved Windermere but it’s always a bit choppy once out in the middle)

I have Windermere boat registration for our SIB do l need anything else for Coniston? The property owner seemed to think not, and he has moorings on the lakeside.

Is it safe to leave the boat moored up overnight with the motor attached. When we stayed at Golant near Fowey there had been thefts of outboard motors.
Old 19 June 2018, 17:04   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I think you need to register any powered boat to use on Windermere, but there is no need to register for Coniston. There are places to launch a small boat, especially a SIB, at no charge. I suspect you may be charged if you anchor or moor at a facility, and you need to be careful not to block the steam yacht Gondola. 10 mph speed limit applies but I imagine with some flexibility of enforcement if you are sensible. It's not just the wake, but the noise which can be heard for a long way, and the effect on vulnerable water users such as novice groups in open canoes. Be sensible. You can do the whole length of the lake in very little time, but the whole point of a small boat is to potter, land,explore, anchor, picnic, swim, potter a bit more.
Old 19 June 2018, 17:28   #3

Town: Wigan
Boat name: ?
Make: Bombard 380
Engine: 2S18hp 2S15hp 2s9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
I think you need to register any powered boat to use on Windermere, but there is no need to register for Coniston. There are places to launch a small boat, especially a SIB, at no charge. I suspect you may be charged if you anchor or moor at a facility, and you need to be careful not to block the steam yacht Gondola. 10 mph speed limit applies but I imagine with some flexibility of enforcement if you are sensible. It's not just the wake, but the noise which can be heard for a long way, and the effect on vulnerable water users such as novice groups in open canoes. Be sensible. You can do the whole length of the lake in very little time, but the whole point of a small boat is to potter, land,explore, anchor, picnic, swim, potter a bit more.
Coniston can be as choppy and rough as any other lake when the wind picks up.
You still have the technical 10mph limit...... plus you have less people in powered boats than Windermere and you'll stand out more when give it stick. only 5 miles long so no need to rush anywhere. Good island to picnic on with natural slip for the sib.... can get a few groups on there.
Old 19 June 2018, 19:46   #4

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al C View Post
Good island to picnic on with natural slip for the sib.... can get a few groups on there.
Landing on "Wildcat" Island under power? Sacrilege.
Old 19 June 2018, 21:05   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Better drowned than duffers[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 21:09   #6

Thanks for the replies, sounds like we made the right choice.
Old 21 June 2018, 21:59   #7

A lot of the shoreline is NT owned so its easy to pick a nice spot to pull up for a picnic. There are plenty of places you can launch (with launching wheels) on the east side. After 6.00pm when the wardens go home you will find some idiots out on the water, a few weeks ago I saw a speedboat with waterskiers flying around for an hour or so.
If your doing a bit of fishing, plenty of Perch & Pike a few Trout and the chance of a Char. If you take away the tourist hire boats, you'll be lucky if you see 20 other boats a day, it's the complete opposite of Windermere.
With it being in a narrow valley if the wind picks up it can get a bit choppy and unlike Windermere there's not a lot of shelter.
If you are planning to go on the island go early morning or late evening, some days its the busiest part of the whole lake.
Old 26 June 2018, 17:19   #8

Thanks for the information.
I’ll let you know how we get on.
Old 28 June 2018, 17:20   #9

Well we have been here all week and it’s been amazing weather, so hot, but cooler on the lake. We’ve been out on the boat every day and have visited the island twice.
I downloaded a GPS speedometer to make sure we didn’t exceed the speed limit, l found that the boat will sit at 8-9 mph reliably when needed.
However a lot of the time we just pottered around as it was too damn hot to do anything strenuous.