Old 08 July 2018, 15:13   #1

Town: Cambridge
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tbd
Cleaning a SIB

Afternoon all,

So I’ve recently picked up a Bombard Aerotec 😎 and now would like to give it a thorough clean and protect before the maiden voyage.
Are there any products people would recommend or is it a bit of a minefield like the car deatailing world.

Thanks in advance 🙂
Old 08 July 2018, 16:32   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
There are rib/sib clean products but I just use a little washing up liquid in a bucket of warm water and a microfibre cloth (those slightly rough/bobbly types). Then rinse with a hose.
Old 08 July 2018, 16:38   #3

Town: Cambridge
Make: Honwave
Engine: Tbd
Cheers, was planning to give it a good wash down with warm soapy water then wanted something to clean a few marks/scuffs that I thought might require a more dedicated cleaner ( there’s a few makes on Ebay August Race, RibRight, Poly Marine) and wondered if anyone had tried them
Old 08 July 2018, 16:56   #4

In truth all I've usually done is put a little more squeezy on the cloth and rubbed a bit harder and the dirtier marks have come off.

I did get a tube cleaner with one of my used SIBs and it was good but once that was used up went back to squeezy.
Old 08 July 2018, 17:24   #5

Town: North East
Make: mercury quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 25hp 2T
We used the toobshine & hypatec ribstore stuff and our quicksilver come up nice just make sure to buff the hypatec stuff off or you end up with white chalky marks. it disolved the dirt off our sib
Old 08 July 2018, 20:31   #6

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I use car wash liquid, diluted as used to wash the car, and it does a great job, a sponge with a slightly abrasive surface cleans off any stubborn marks.

The advantage of car wash liquid is it’s free from salt, which is present in washing up liquid.
Old 08 July 2018, 20:48   #7

It's a bit swings and roundabouts for me. Unlike with cars not too worried about salt given the water the SIB operates in... and after a good rinsing... but unsure about some of the waxes included in many car washes.

But to be honest I think SIB material is pretty resistant so I'd go with either if the other wasn't to hand.
Old 09 July 2018, 06:11   #8

Town: Cardiff
Boat name: 2 anchors
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: 15hp Mariner 2 str
A household cream cleaner such as Cif is very good... devil on your hands though
Old 09 July 2018, 07:58   #9

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Like the others ..I just use fairy liquid (very occasionally) but always hose off in fresh water. Difficult small stains often get a wipe of petrol or white spirit ..as sometimes that works well especially if a tarry type stain. Its always well rinsed after. I have tried branded cleaners but found little advantage over my methods.

However I do recommend polishing the boat after cleaning it with a branded UV blocking product. Sun will eventually break down the PVC although it takes a good few years in the UK. At present I use poly marine inflatable boat finish. It also helps stop the red colour fading to pink if its left outside for long periods. Mine is permanently outside. Perhaps its not so important to use a UV block polish if you pack the boat away and only use it a few times a year though.

I scrapped my 16 year old seago and the PVC was still good after following my methods. My quicksilver is 13 years old and still looks great ..so I cant be doing them any harm ?

Photo of quicksilver taken last week..in terrible Scottish conditions

Old 09 July 2018, 08:10   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Cleaning a SIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post

I scrapped my 16 year old seago and the PVC was still good after following my methods. My quicksilver is 13 years old and still looks great ..so I cant be doing them any harm ?

I reckon you quicksilver might have had more UV damage in the last month than the seago had its whole life!
Old 09 July 2018, 08:14   #11

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I reckon you quicksilver might have had more UV damage in the last month than the seafood had its whole life!
You better believe it Poly .. but the boat has faired far better than me this last month.

Despite UV block of factor 30 on my nose.. its scarred and hardly any skin left.

This weather is unbelievable for Scotland. I had my best trip yet .. last week.. five days going …. well you can find out in the forthcoming video.. its a scorcher

Tags
sib