Old 26 October 2011, 19:39   #21

Town: Stranraer
Make: No Boat now
Length: no boat
SW Scotland around Stranraer.
12 Free slips within 15 miles not including beaches. Some better than others. I use three regularly. Free parking and always somebody that turns up to give you a hand (that's free also)
A Yorkshire man( A Scotsman with the generosity sucked out) living in Scotland they don't get tighter than that.
Old 26 October 2011, 20:06   #22

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Why do you think I have my boating holidays in Scotland Max! Mind you if there is a donation box I always put a couple of pounds in.
Old 26 October 2011, 21:33   #23

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Around here, it's exceptional to have to pay to launch, although in recent years, charges have crept in at some sites for vehicle & trailer parking.
Old 26 October 2011, 21:50   #24

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Loads of free slips down here

I had a yam 380 s with a 25hp 2 stroke, went really well and enjoyed owning her. Used to transport flat or on the roof rack. Got fed up blowing her up during the summer so ended up inflated against the house.

Then as I was using her loads bought a trailer as it was easier than the roof rack, as I now had a trailer it seemed daft to deinflate for winter so left it all together with a cover. Insurance was around the same as the rib that replaced her, storage costs the same, once I'd gone for a trailer then launching issues were about the same so she had to go

Fun it was, still times when doing safety events when the sib is great - and gets borrowed but in the main I'll stick with the rib.

If I had no toy and had to buy one I'd go with the sib again as it allows learning time with smaller hp engines but there is no value in selling a rib to get a sib unless the end use changes.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2011, 22:05   #25

Town: Exiled in England!
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Around here, it's exceptional to have to pay to launch, although in recent years, charges have crept in at some sites for vehicle & trailer parking.
For New Brighton it's either 18 quid a day or £124 a year plus a minimum PB2 (half price if you have an affiliated club membership), plus 3rd party insurance for the boat. IIRC you're supposed to carry the insurance cert, your car insurance and your driving licence as well every time you drive on to the beach. Plus the beach is usually fully of scallies on jetskis in summer.

There aren't a lot of other choices. I've seen people tractor launch from Ainsdale beach but that looks a ball ache. Liverpool Sailing Club is £100'ish a year but it's a long way up the Mersey and the slip is about a mile long and 6 foot wide to reverse down.

I love going back to Scotland, free slips all over the place.
Old 27 October 2011, 07:30   #26

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I knew education and prescriptions were 'free' in Scotland - seems slips are too!
Old 27 October 2011, 18:28   #27

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
I sold my RIB for a SIB because it suited what i used it for. I never really fish or ski and after years of longish trips sort of got bored of that. I use the SIB now from the beach, easier to get in shore with the transom wheels attatched (the rib and beach landing was a mare).

It depends what type of holidays your going on i suppose, mine stopped being a boating holiday and became a holiday with a SIB available to use if and when i wanted to.
Old 27 October 2011, 20:25   #28

Town: oregon
Make: zodiac
Engine: M40C
I've never owned a rib. When in Kodiak Alaska I had a 12ft achilles with a 20hp that I went out often in bigger seas/rougher water. I never got soaked, but they are wetter. I was younger and braver, but climbed 10-15ft swells and zoomed down the back side. It was wild! I would go from Kodiak to Afognak island. When I moved to Oregon I got my in-laws 12ft dynous with a 20hp. It was okay, but I got very wet at times in it.
I now have a 380 bombard commando C3 with a 40hp and love it. I've been out in some pretty rough water with it. I admit, if I had the cash I think I'd prefer a rib, but the sib can handle some serious water safely, just not as comfortably as a rib. I agree with the advice of keeping the rib and getting a sib as a second boat if you can afford it. They don't take up much room when stored.
Old 27 October 2011, 20:28   #29

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
I knew education and prescriptions were 'free' in Scotland - seems slips are too!
Old 29 October 2011, 21:17   #30

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I have a SR4 with a 50hp & a 3.80 Aerodeck with a15hp both Yam 2 st & they are great fun & I will not be selling eather! but if I want to go out & play the SR any day it is just sutch fun & yes it uses more fuel but still you can be out for a day & use only 20lt of fuel! Lanch & recovery is a sinch with the right trailer, what is your sat on?

Nick
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote