Old 23 February 2009, 15:14   #1

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
cannon fire?

I was offshore when I heard cannon fire. Cannon fire? Ran out to watch a film crew working on a swordfight scene on board the sailing vessel California. Followed them in to catch this shot of the California passing the Point Loma lighthouse. It isn't just wave jumping, wakeboarding and fishing that lures us all into owning an inflatable! My apologies to anyone opening this thread who expected a cannon mod on my SIB... not yet!

Old 23 February 2009, 20:51   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
we get a bit nervous when the usa mentiones cannon fire around our part of the yorkshire coast ,last time was during the war of indipendence when your captain john paul jones of the us navy sank the royal navys Hms serapis off flamborough head with cannon fire ,and flying one of the first flags of stars and stripes ever seen in europe .
Old 24 February 2009, 06:25   #3

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
What a spectacular picture!!! Hope you'll enter that one in a photo contest!
Old 24 February 2009, 15:15   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Nice pic.

In Monterey, we get the occasional tall ship doing sailing tours (though often, it's out of Moss Landing for some reason. Not sure why. And also often, it's more a motor-sail than an actual sail. Go figure.) They usually do a cannon round or two per tour.

jky
Old 24 February 2009, 16:12   #5

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Thanks for the compliments. Not a bad image out of my small digital camera in it's waterproof case. Almost fell out of the boat when I pulled my kill switch cord while standing up taking pictures. Maybe I'll stop the outboard next time! Wish all of the topsails were in use.

The Californian is a re-creation of the C.W. Lawrence, a Revenue Service cutter built in Washington D.C. in 1848. In 1849, the C.W. Lawrence under the command of Captain Alexander Fraser was sent to California to secure revenue, relieve distressed merchant vessels and to make scientific investigations of the harbors.

Pretty funny to see swashbuckling pirates, basic black powder cannons and a pirates flag on board. Not exactly historically accurate. A side note about John Paul Jones. His remains were transfered from Europe to a crypt at our Naval Academy in Annapolis where he is famous for being stored in alcohol. A fitting internment for a sailor!
Old 25 February 2009, 15:24   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelson View Post
A side note about John Paul Jones. His remains were transfered from Europe to a crypt at our Naval Academy in Annapolis where he is famous for being stored in alcohol.
That's what I'm trying to do. Without the dying part, though.

jky
Old 25 February 2009, 18:52   #7

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
we had a team over here from national geographic looking for wrecks of the battle a while back ,even though john paul jones is regarded as the grandfather of the us navy he was scottish born ,he also raided maryport on the west coast of england too ,every year the us navy sends a party over to celebrate it ,wonder if hes drinkable .,regards mart