MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
What engine is going on that and how much was the shipping delivered cost
Old 23 May 2017, 13:12   #24

Town: Lymington
Make: Gemini Marine
Length: 10m +
Engine: All
Hi there we are the Gemini Dealer for UK & Ireland, based in Lymington. .
Please email Sales@gemini-marine.co.uk
We have a GRX420 operational as an Independent Lifeboat in Runswick Bay and we are delivering one to a Kite Surfing Centre next month.
Old 23 May 2017, 13:14   #25

Town: Lymington
Make: Gemini Marine
Length: 10m +
Engine: All
These are not Gemini Marine FF-15s or ZX11. They are copy, the company have been told to take down any reference to Gemini.
Old 23 May 2017, 15:31   #26

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
RIBase
Hi chaps from Gemini - already in touch with you
Old 27 November 2017, 10:47   #27

Town: Beacon Hill
Boat name: TBD
Make: Gemini Zapcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fel2 View Post
Ceasar can ship worldwide. I only have good word (yet) for jacques at ceasar, i just bought a surfcat and can't wait to try it. It is ready to get shipped out. I hope everything will be allright once i uncrate the boat. They sold alot and i could not find any bad comment or complaint on the boat they make or any horror story. That why i went with them.

I was really in between the surfcat and zapcat style and what made me go with the surfcat is i just won't race anytime soon.

Attachment 119246
Hi Fel2, how is your Surfcat working out for you? I am looking for a fast SIB, I won't be racing, I will use it as a chase boat and for scuba diving, spearfishing etc. Any real world experience would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 03 December 2017, 08:43   #28

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
Surfcat is a great boat, but the tubes will be prone to fading if it’s hot. Not a problem if you can store it indoors. Very able boats, can take more weight than a thundercat but still very fast and really good in the waves. 50hp is ideal for them, 30hp will work but boat balance feels better with a 50hp and the ride is dryer
Old 29 July 2020, 08:23   #29

Length: 5m +
How do these various cat hulled SIBs perform compared to the Zodiac Futura with it's speed tubes or even a similar sized RIB? I have understood that the cat hulled boats are more comfortable in a chop than traditional SIBs with single inflatable keels.

Any particular downsides? For example, are they easier to flip? Less load carrying capacity?
Old 29 July 2020, 19:03   #30

RIBase
What a thread revive - still a good choice and if I was launching of my local beach would still go this route

Ended up with a Ribcraft 6.8m delivered just after lockdown ended so a bit of drift!
Old 29 July 2020, 20:27   #31

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Engine: 50 tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post
How do these various cat hulled SIBs perform compared to the Zodiac Futura with it's speed tubes or even a similar sized RIB? I have understood that the cat hulled boats are more comfortable in a chop than traditional SIBs with single inflatable keels.

Any particular downsides? For example, are they easier to flip? Less load carrying capacity?
Reference the chop yes they completely outclass sibs of equivalent size as the floor sits out of the water, the down side to this is you sit on a zapcat not in! They go upside down much easier than a sib or small rib 100%! But then again they are designed too. Other consideration are they are wet rides (waheey) 4 POB max really, 3 comfortable and nearly impossible to helm solo into a decent headwind.

It’s also tricky to find boats in decent nick, when I looked most are raced to death or owned by traditionally non boaters and have been neglected.
Old 30 July 2020, 18:41   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickW View Post
What a thread revive - still a good choice and if I was launching of my local beach would still go this route

Ended up with a Ribcraft 6.8m delivered just after lockdown ended so a bit of drift!
I always try to search back as there is often a lot of useful information in the old threads. You must be happy with the Ribcraft 6.8!

Thanks Allye. They seem as I expected. The closest thing I have experienced is a Zodiac with small speed tubes. A mates son is looking to buy a Thundercat. He is in his early twenties so will no-doubt enjoy the ride. I have reached an age where I am starting to consider a boat with a bit more shelter. I will certainly pass on the information, especially the issue of needing a crew member for ballast.
Old 30 July 2020, 22:23   #33

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post
I always try to search back as there is often a lot of useful information in the old threads. You must be happy with the Ribcraft 6.8!

Thanks Allye. They seem as I expected. The closest thing I have experienced is a Zodiac with small speed tubes. A mates son is looking to buy a Thundercat. He is in his early twenties so will no-doubt enjoy the ride. I have reached an age where I am starting to consider a boat with a bit more shelter. I will certainly pass on the information, especially the issue of needing a crew member for ballast.

Very !

Local lads use em for potting, fishing and family fun

You don’t have to hoon em

Talking about the Zapcats never seen a Surfcat/GTX in the flesh

R
Old 31 July 2020, 05:39   #34

RIBase
Very comfortable in chop and rough, but as said with a headwind you want some weight up front, even moving the fuel tank forward helps.
They are easier to flip, but if you take your time and get a feel for them they're very manageable. I've had one over 10 years now and never put it upside down (touch wood)
Old 04 August 2020, 15:03   #35

That sounds positive, 10 years is a long time! You must be doing something right. If I were younger I'd give them I try myself, they look like a lot of fun.
Old 19 August 2021, 21:05   #36

Town: S.wales
Boat name: ASBO
Engine: 50 Tohatsu
Thundercat - Engine setup

After an absence of too long have got back on the water, have plenty of experience with 4.0 Searider and 5.8 Ribcraft and plenty of opportunity to mess around on Thundercats but never owned one. Must've lost the plot but at 56 and totally due to their versatility have just picked up a good condition second hand F8 with Tohatsu 50 for leisure use. But, having never actually owned before I'm not fully spammed up on and cannot remember the intricacies of the transom/engine setup. Engine runs great and the boat flies, not overly concerned with tweaking the prop/trim settings etc to get that extra knot or two but have a couple of q's for those that may know.

So far Have been running with the engine locked down with the mechanical locking mechanism on the leg, and as said she flies with no concerns. However, there was a bungee on the tiller arm which I thought was there as a damper, (doesn't have a hydraulic one). Then it struck me that the bungee could be the one used to hold the leg down when racing but which allows it to kick up when beaching or if an object in the water is struck?
I've tried it set up that way and it performed quite nicely with no issues and the steering was not noticeably harder to handle without?

My questions are, are thundercats intended to be used with the outboard leg locked down mechanically, or with a bungee, or either and which would be reccommended by experienced users? I can see that their are advantages to both depending on use.

Is the use of a bungee on the tiller arm a common mod in place of a hydraulic damper? Bit confused re this last as I can see that it would assist in one direction (against the bungee) but not in the other?
Old 20 August 2021, 09:24   #37

RIBase
I do like a good F8, great nose cone. Any photos? What prop is on it?
Know plenty of folk older than you with surfcats/thundercats!

For engine height you can run string across the bottom of the boat, you want the prop shaft around 10mm above the bottom of the hijackers.

The leg bungee is as you say, for if you hit submerged objects or if you're running up a beach. I ran one for years but don't any more, don't like having any movement there and I've never hit anything anyway.

Another good bungee use is if you're running a big cleaver, you can put one on the port aft of the engine attached to the boat to counter torque steer. With normal 14-16p props there's no need for the bungee.
I like having a steering damper personally, the mercedes one is a popular and cheap option, around £25 and it'll last a couple years. Can't mind which merc it comes from, 190E or something.
Old 21 August 2021, 15:34   #38

Thanks for the info/comments, couple of pics attached. Steel Developments blueprinted prop fitted 2008 by previous owner. Tiny Tac fitted 2006 when initially purchased, hoping to establish total hours run from it but havn't got round to interrogating it yet! Also has a mod that allows the tell tale to be diverted to flood the nose cone, not something I'd seen before but could be useful if solo or get caught out in some dodgy weather, not sure would need or want to flood it any other time, looks like it would be a pain to drain down?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210821_121341_2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	138521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210821_121356_8.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	138522   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210821_121241_0.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	138523   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210821_121446_6.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	138524   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210821_122037_8.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	138525  

Old 22 August 2021, 07:15   #39

Town: Surrey/Cornwall
Make: Gemini GRX 420
Engine: Tohatsu D2 50Hp
Has it got another fuel filter in the engine?
Old 22 August 2021, 22:16   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThundercatRob View Post
Has it got another fuel filter in the engine?
I was going to ask about that, all the engine servicing etc on previous ribs was taken care of by my brother so when it comes to the mechanicals my knowledge is limited. Guessing it's a modification added by one of the previous owners and presumably acts as a pre-filter? Doesn't appear to affect performance but then havn't run without it. Any thoughts?