Old 11 August 2009, 18:18   #1

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: ??? Needs Naming
Make: Honwave T32i
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF5/Mariner 15
C-Tug anyone?

Anyone heard of a C-Tug trolley being used for a SIB? Looks a good idea if a little narrower than I would ideally like.

The problem is my Honwave T3.2 airdeck ...I want to be able to get the boat & engine to the water & launched without having to go for the specially designed dolly wheels that go over the extending airdeck (trim tab things) that the Honwave has as they are V expensive £160+

I've looked at folding launching trolleys but they are quite big still & expensive at around £150 but then I saw the C-Tug which is designed for sea kayaks & small dinghys really & wondered if t would work for my application:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-C-Tu...d=p3286.c0.m14

http://www.c-tug.com/

I spoke to the shop selling them & aparently they use them for smaller dinghys too! - they recon that it would need a bigger strap but that can be added easily & it should be fine. That's what I had hoped & had sort of figured myself from the looks of them as the boat has a rigid airdeck (& therefore hull) which could hopefully sit on the pads towards the transom.

Has anyone had any experience with these? Also what are your thoughts on it as a SIB (Honwave) trolley?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c-tug.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	44757  
Old 11 August 2009, 18:32   #2

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Hi, they look well made.

One thought, how will you drag the SIB up the beach or fore shore when you get to where you are going? The great thing about transom based wheels is the fact you take them with you on the boat. They also act as protection against your prop hitting the sea bed when approaching or leaving the shore (when left down)

IMO get the transom based ones, they really are a must with any SIB.
Old 11 August 2009, 18:40   #3

Town: bristol
Boat name: astra
Make: zodiac 340s
Engine: 15hp mariner
MMSI: 235905847
Hello, it dont look like they fold up for storage or do they?
Old 11 August 2009, 18:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
Hi, they look well made.

One thought, how will you drag the SIB up the beach or fore shore when you get to where you are going? The great thing about transom based wheels is the fact you take them with you on the boat. They also act as protection against your prop hitting the sea bed when approaching or leaving the shore (when left down)

IMO get the transom based ones, they really are a must with any SIB.
Good point... If I didn't have the Honwave Airdeck I'd be going for transome wheels without a question - the problem is the airdeck extends outboard of the transom on these (see picture) & I don't like the idea iof the wheels pictured too much - they also cost £179!!!

Hence the slightly radical ideas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1187_product.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	44758  
Old 11 August 2009, 18:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Hello, it dont look like they fold up for storage or do they?
Apparently they pack up very small as they are designed for Sea Kayaks really!! ...they will break down completely & go into locker on the kayak so they say

The website http://www.c-tug.com/c-productdetails.php shows how they assemble/disassemble
Old 11 August 2009, 18:51   #6
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Does your outboard have to be stepped out too?
Old 11 August 2009, 18:56   #7

Town: bristol
Boat name: astra
Make: zodiac 340s
Engine: 15hp mariner
MMSI: 235905847
No pics of them folded up, strange would of thought that would be a selling point
Old 11 August 2009, 18:56   #8

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
I've got one

My SIB is on the (very) heavy side. With transom wheels alone, the nose weight was very high, so I figured for locations with a big distance between trailer and water I could put a C-tug under the bow to make a 4 wheeler.

The C-Tug works very well for this - the pads sit nicely either side of the inflatable keel. The supplied straps were too short and quite lightweight, so I bought some 50mm webbing and buckles off ebay. The strap needs to be tight to stop the C-Tug 'falling over' - I have a couple of handles on my tubes that the webbing slots through nicely.

I would think with an airfloor SIB it might be a problem as all the weight of the SIB will be on two small contact patches and you won't have the stiffness of a solid floor, but it may be ok if you put the C-Tug near the transom.

You can take the wheels off the 'chassis' in a few seconds, and less than 5 minutes to dismantle completely.

Shame you aren't a bit nearer or you could try mine - if you are interested I can take a few pics at the weekend.

Cheers

Chris
Old 11 August 2009, 18:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Does your outboard have to be stepped out too?
No, the transom floats, trim tabs or whatever they call them?? are shaped - see photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	transom.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	44763  
Old 11 August 2009, 19:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
I've got one

My SIB is on the (very) heavy side. With transom wheels alone, the nose weight was very high, so I figured for locations with a big distance between trailer and water I could put a C-tug under the bow to make a 4 wheeler.

The C-Tug works very well for this - the pads sit nicely either side of the inflatable keel. The supplied straps were too short and quite lightweight, so I bought some 50mm webbing and buckles off ebay. The strap needs to be tight to stop the C-Tug 'falling over' - I have a couple of handles on my tubes that the webbing slots through nicely.

I would think with an airfloor SIB it might be a problem as all the weight of the SIB will be on two small contact patches and you won't have the stiffness of a solid floor, but it may be ok if you put the C-Tug near the transom.

You can take the wheels off the 'chassis' in a few seconds, and less than 5 minutes to dismantle completely.

Shame you aren't a bit nearer or you could try mine - if you are interested I can take a few pics at the weekend.

Cheers

Chris
Great!!! I thought everyone would think I was mad but I'm glad I posed the question now

I was thinking of the C-Tug being located on or very close to the transom. The hull is pretty solid as it's an airdeck/V-hull one-piece design on the Honwave SIBs with a slight V at the transom. There are also handles in just the right place to put the webbing straps through.

The boat is about 38Kg & the engine 27Kg...What do you recon?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Honwave.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	44765  
Old 11 August 2009, 19:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
Great!!! I thought everyone would think I was mad but I'm glad I posed the question now

I was thinking of the C-Tug being located on or very close to the transom. The hull is pretty solid as it's an airdeck/V-hull one-piece design on the Honwave SIBs with a slight V at the transom. There are also handles in just the right place to put the webbing straps through.

The boat is about 38Kg & the engine 27Kg...What do you recon?
I reckon it could be a go-er. I would still be a little concerned about the air floor distorting due to the small contact patches - if you can get hold of some house bricks try propping the boat up on them (with suitable protection on the top) and see how it looks.

The only other issue might be that as the wheels are quite close together the boat will rock from side to side or topple if you hit a bump with one wheel.

Cheers

Chris
Old 11 August 2009, 19:34   #12

Quote:
I've got one

Cheers

Chris
Many thanks for your feedback by the way Chris.. I forgot to ask you though, how wide are the C-tugs?

I appreciate the offer by the way too...we're planning to go down to the coast, Devon'ish on Friday for a long weekend with the boat...anywhere near to you?? pics would be helpful if it's not any trouble.

Cheers,
Lance
Old 11 August 2009, 20:29   #13

No problem.

I've attached a couple of pics of the C-Tug with dimensions - if you need any more let me know.

We're busy Saturday, but I'll try and take some pics of the boat on the C-Tug Sunday. Weather permitting we will be out on the boat, though the tides are rubbish. We are in Portsmouth so a fair way from Devon.

Cheers

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C-Tug plan view.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	44766   Click image for larger version

Name:	C-Tug side view.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	44767  
Old 11 August 2009, 22:04   #14

Quote:
No problem.

I've attached a couple of pics of the C-Tug with dimensions - if you need any more let me know.

We're busy Saturday, but I'll try and take some pics of the boat on the C-Tug Sunday. Weather permitting we will be out on the boat, though the tides are rubbish. We are in Portsmouth so a fair way from Devon.

Cheers

Chris
Fantastic! Thanks so much for the pictures & dimensions. It's been very useful to get your feedback.

Cheers
Lance
Old 13 August 2009, 14:20   #15

Town: Carmarthen
Length: no boat
OK for launching but I still can't see how you can use them when coming ashore??

Bill
Old 13 August 2009, 20:28   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by springwell View Post
OK for launching but I still can't see how you can use them when coming ashore??

Bill
Yes, there is that!

I think it would be fine to get the boat into the water but hadn't really got as far as getting it out again in the thought process

Just don't like the wheels designed for the SIB, particularly the price!!! I'd rather a folding launching trolley instead.
Old 13 August 2009, 20:35   #17

Well, its a lot easier with two people and you get your arm wet, but all you do is lift up the outboard, slide the C-Tug under the transom, bring the straps round and do them up, wheel the boat out of the water

Cheers

Chris
Old 13 August 2009, 21:14   #18

Quote:
Well, its a lot easier with two people and you get your arm wet, but all you do is lift up the outboard, slide the C-Tug under the transom, bring the straps round and do them up, wheel the boat out of the water

Cheers

Chris
Ah yes, we're on the same wavelength...that's the only way I could think of making it work!

Cheers again Chris
Old 14 August 2009, 21:44   #19
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I've got a C-Tug and it's a good bit of kit. I haven't tried it with the SIB but I'm pretty confident that it would be OK even with an air deck.

For the recovery you could just beach the boat then lift it up and slide the C-Tug underneath for the trip back up the beach. No problem really.
Old 16 August 2009, 21:06   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I've got a C-Tug and it's a good bit of kit. I haven't tried it with the SIB but I'm pretty confident that it would be OK even with an air deck.

For the recovery you could just beach the boat then lift it up and slide the C-Tug underneath for the trip back up the beach. No problem really.
Thanks for that John. It's looking like this is the way we will go for launching & recovery...bit too awkward carrying the boat then outboard to the water for myself & my wife