Old 19 October 2021, 15:16   #1

Town: Sitka
Boat name: Swell times
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
Buying a 470 SIB on a budget where to look?

Hello all!! What a great Forum so exited to jump into the world of inflatables.

I know you get what you pay for but I am in the market to buy a SIB around 4.7meter in length. I am on a tight budget. I have a newer 30 HP E-tech and want to put it on an SIB for firewood hauling, beach combing, duck hunting, and even occasional long distance trips in the inside passage.

I am a charter Fisherman guide and have a nicer 25'Parker with a Yami 300 and I do not want to take out a loan as I already have one on that boat.

My budget really is 3k but I could stretch it with a micro loan but what I am really thinking is in a few years ill upgrade to Hypalon during the more financially stable season of summer guiding. I want to get 4-5 years off of a PVC.

What I have found.

Saturn: Good reviews probably from more light duty type. Just under 2K in Cost. Even their largest 18 ft model Wants a 15 inch shaft motor only take 175 lbs on the transom. Was going to pay the their lower price and expect 4-5 years until I could afford a nicer Hypalon. Again seems more like a boat that was designed for 15 inch shafts and light motors not to sure about my 20 inch shaft motor. But wanted to see your opinion because this is a deal I think I could sort of have fun with and wait later to by a name brand Hypalon.

Defender: I think I am going for one of these. Has a 2019 PVC around 3 k and even a 2017 Hypalon for around 5k It literally seems designed for my E-tech in the specs but also one of the photographs we have the same motor.

Any other places to look for this size SIB? I do lots and lots of beaching had heavy loads in our local bays. So an RIB is not in question.

Thanks for reading!
Old 19 October 2021, 16:08   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hi mate welcome.

I’ve been around ribs and sibs a long time my opinion is for wood hauling they won’t last if it were me I would be looking at aluminium boats.
Old 19 October 2021, 16:26   #3

Thanks for your response. Originally was going to buy a larger aluminum open boat to be used as water taxi and occasional wood hauling to complement my 25 Parker for charter fishing.

I would say 3% of the time is wood hauling the rest of the time is exploration so willing to cancel the wood hauling.

And wait till I can afford the 30 k for an aluminum used skiff assuming my business grows.

Any places to shop other than Defender for budget minded SIBs?

Thanks in advance
Old 19 October 2021, 17:41   #4

Make: AB
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard, 40hp
I also think that big a sib with an air floor is going to flex like crazy. Maybe look for a sib with aluminum floor. Will be better for carrying firewood too.

I am somewhat close to Defender.com and use them all the time. They are a great company.

Don't know anything about this brand but Defender.com usually only carries well respected brands. This is a hard floor sib.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...90&id=7648083#
Old 19 October 2021, 17:48   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
https://www.excel-inflatables.co.uk/...atest_news.php

Have a look at this site they do export and they would fit a boat out to you’re spec I guess if you are hauling timber a decent rack made to stop chafe on the tubes would work but avoid air floors IMO

Look at the vanguard 485 done in hytex or hypalon
Old 19 October 2021, 17:55   #6

Noted on the Hard floors. Checking out your recommendations.

This is pretty heavy built. And what I was looking at as well to put on the list you gave me.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...291&id=4298645
Old 19 October 2021, 17:59   #7

I would also recommend calling them to discuss your needs. They are super helpful and can guide you with what they carry. Their website has much to be desired and might not have stuff they can order for you.
Old 20 October 2021, 02:45   #8

Thanks for all your tips. I chose to get a Saturn with a transom lift to fit my 30 HP motor 20 shaft. I decided to save some cash in the summer and buy a larger RIB or even heavy duty SIB by Zodiac. Turns out the shipping was pretty outrageous to Alaska from defender and could not justify it on a budget.

For my Professional dealing when I take clients out I will figure out what I need and make a move on a bigger vessel Likely a RIB to complement some of the tourism I do.

Thanks good people
Old 20 October 2021, 11:43   #9

Sounds good and congrats on a new boat. Keep us updated on the new rig when you get it. Interested to hear the results on a large sib like that.

Tags
sib