Old 13 April 2021, 09:00   #1

Town: taunton
Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 10hp
Buying a 15 hp mariner 2 stroke (2006)

I'm off to view a local 15 hp 2 stroke mariner today. Aside of the usual ( oil in the gearbox, compression test etc...) Is there anything I should pay particular attention to with this model outboard ? Any known common problems or wear points, or anything of note in general with them.
I know the biggest issue currently will be the recently inflated prices, but there's not much I can do about that one 🙂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210413-094703.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	136960  
Old 13 April 2021, 10:30   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
These are brilliant outboards easily understood for maintenance and as long as you are happy with the basic condition of powerhead/gearbox... and happy you trust the story the seller tells you... then any ancillary issues are easily fixed.

You will be able to judge loads from the way it starts from cold hopefully with no more than two pulls and settles to a choke free steady idle after a couple of mins. Do you know on these it is Ok at idle for them to have an intermittent pee stream as it is related to stat opening... but once at say 1500rpm plus it should pump constantly.

The on the throttle gearchange is a marmite thing and if a bit out of adjustment a pain but again easily sorted.

Often the tilt/lock mechanism isn't properly lubricated so that might be erratic but is easily sorted.
Old 13 April 2021, 14:49   #3

Great advise, thank you very much. I only read yesterday about the tell tale at idle, so am now fully aware of that one. It's a bit tricky to really judge the condition from the pics, but it's only 40 mins away, so an easy view. Apparently bought new by the seller, but like you said, if they're decent engines, it's about whether you believe the story.
Old 13 April 2021, 14:57   #4

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I vaguely recall the ferry boats at the Folly Inn on the Medina used to run those? Can anyone remember?
Anyway, if I'm right, what I do recall is a convo with the owner where he said they put absolutely crazy crazy hours on them.

Gear Selection dogs were a weak spot - because on the little ferries they were in and out of gear all the time.
(And his learning was - don't tickle them in to gear, it just wears the dogs. Clunk em straight in to gear)
But the motors themselves were rock solid.
Old 13 April 2021, 18:09   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
As the chaps say, great 2 smokes and my favourite engine. Should need miniscule choke if any unless really cold. It won't dribble for a while and not always a great stream but we all have our waterworks issues...

Make sure the tilt/trim works and pin is not bent but no big issue if it is - an easy fix.

Make sure the plunger jobby activated by the choke is free to move.
Old 13 April 2021, 19:52   #6

Well, the one I just viewed had a number of issues. First spot was the general state of it in terms of dirt build up. Then tucked away in the tray was a piece of broken Ali. Turns out to be a chunk from the corner of a base plate at the bottom of the power head ! It started ok, but certainly coughed/sneezed a few times while sat there running. The tell tale was instant, not as described above, so either the thermostat is stuck open or missing I guess. It smoked like a train. Had no kill cord, just tiny switch to stop it running ? I just can't help feeling there was the odd deeper background rattle that sounded like it shouldn't be there and It's only had two services in its life ( bought new by this owner)
Old 13 April 2021, 20:05   #7

Broken plate....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210413_180733598.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	136972  
Old 13 April 2021, 20:55   #8

General dirt not the end of the world. Broken alloy base plate... you'd wonder why and that would always annoy me. Coughing and sneezing probably general tune/carb clean needed. As you say tell tale makes it sound as if stat removed... why? The small switch is what the kill cord loops on so no big deal. Smoke should be minimal on correct mixture so perhaps too much oil? Rattle that worried you is a walk away issue.

Overall needed to be cheap or walk away.
Old 16 April 2021, 12:12   #9

I walked away on this one offered to me at £1200. It's on ebay and is now bid upto £1650 and rising !!! complete insanity ! no mention of the damage, way rougher than it looks, with heavy use and money to spend on it as well.
Old 16 April 2021, 15:36   #10

That's risen above dealer true minter asking prices already. Staggering.
Old 19 April 2021, 18:27   #11

There’s a Mercury 15hp 2-stroke short shaft on fleebay - year 2000 model - £1,395 from Cambridge Outboards
Old 19 April 2021, 18:40   #12

I see the one in the first post stayed at the £1650 but the winning bidder added a £1700 bid that wasn't needed in the end. That's some serious money.

Re the Ebay one Chris mentions above first downside the seller then no tank included for a tatty cosmetic example with cheap aftermarket prop at that price.

This all makes the new ones look ever better value.

BTW Chris no negatives meant re you linking that... all helps build a picture.
Old 20 April 2021, 06:26   #13

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
As some will know I bought a 15 hp Yam 2 Stroke and was very pleased with it. It pumped water very well and ran very well.

On the first use however I had an issue with the tell tale blocking (although I had tested it a lot in the garden on muffs). The engine got hot. When I got it home I removed and checked the water cooling jacket and it was very clagged up with crud.

Getting the last lower bolt out was a trial as Yam have not made enough clearance to the lower cowl.... This needs to have a shorter bolt.

Any how. This is something you might like to check on any second hand outboard. You will need a new gasket as these seldom stay in one piece.

The pics were taken before I could fully remove the final bolt. The water ways were very crudded up, you can see the amount of crud in the bottom of the cowl after I had scraped some out

Pics below
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Crud.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	137061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crud 2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	137062  
Old 20 April 2021, 06:33   #14

Re an old engine in poor condition. It made me think of Triggers Broom.

I was wondering if you replaced almost all or even all the major components on a second hand engine you would effectively have a new one. I suspect this would be legal and while a bit costly you would effectively have a new 2 stroke outboard for leisure use. good way as these are becoming so hard to lay your hands on
Old 20 April 2021, 06:46   #15

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
The water ways were very crudded up, you can see the amount of crud in the bottom of the cowl after I had scraped some out
Head off not easily done on a four stroke but pretty simple on this engine. Another two stroke advantage.

I wonder what the chemical composition of the stuff is?

Probably caused through lack of flushing and I doubt the anodes were ever changed. I was shocked when I saw mine. Maybe the crud is residue from the aluminum corroding?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DF50Anode.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	137063  
Old 20 April 2021, 07:04   #16

I also wondered what the crud actually is. Mine was less white than that and I dont think it was ali corrosion as such but not sure. I am waiting on my replacement gasket now. I tested my thermostat and it worked ok but you have to look quite hard as it was very slow