Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 27 June 2021, 19:28   #41

Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 20hp
I have a feeling Fenlander said they work really well. Although they look narrower they look to have a flatter tread than the round edges pneumatics…
Let us know how you get on!
Old 27 June 2021, 19:41   #42

Thanks for the heads up on the spacers btw Steve
Old 27 June 2021, 20:14   #43

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Their flat absorbent tread and larger diameter is a great help in difficult surfaces but they are not as good as the very broad sandhoppers in the soft.

Ideally ones needs a variety of sets on a rack fitted to your car much like a rally team!
Old 28 June 2021, 11:25   #44

Thanks Fenlander - I'll see how I go with these pneumos for a while. Go to know the others can work well... the bouyancy doesn't really bother me very much.

I also have a 500m roll along the promenade to the ramp at the moment so the extra cusioning might do me well.
Old 28 June 2021, 11:48   #45

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
For those needing bushes to fit wheels to axle shafts on transom wheels, maybe trying to remove the bearings fitted in some. Blue water pipe comes in a handy size.

Blue MDPE 25mm pipe has an outside dia of 25mm and an inside dia of 20.4mm which I found perfect for some of my wheels.
Old 28 June 2021, 11:58   #46

That's really good to know, cheers
Old 28 June 2021, 12:44   #47

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
For those needing bushes to fit wheels to axle shafts on transom wheels, maybe trying to remove the bearings fitted in some. Blue water pipe comes in a handy size.

Blue MDPE 25mm pipe has an outside dia of 25mm and an inside dia of 20.4mm which I found perfect for some of my wheels.
Don't have a lot of that hanging around in the workshop, so if you have some left over, my address is..............
Old 28 June 2021, 13:03   #48

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Don't have a lot of that hanging around in the workshop, so if you have some left over, my address is..............

I still have about 5mtr coiled up at the top of the garden, left over from when I put a new water main into my home, so feel free to drop in for some on your way past.

Just about every building skip in the land will have some in it, along with every plumbers van, its almost as widespread as used facemasks

Kettles on....
Old 28 June 2021, 13:22   #49

And bear in mind a 25m length coil is only £16 at Toolstation... just think how many transom wheel/tyres could you trial with that.
Old 09 July 2021, 20:35   #50

Are all transom wheels crap?

This is only the 2nd time I've used my new 350 transom wheels, and they have snapped!
Sheared straight of where the stub axle is welded to the leg.
I wouldn't have minded so much if I had been using them on a really rough slipway, but I was launching off a sandy beach after stoping off for lunch.
Upon closer inspection, the thickness of the stub axle tube wall looks about 0.75mm thick. Absolute crap, I have fitted stronger clothes rails in a wardrobe!
Think I will end up getting some solid bar stub axles welded through the transom wheel legs when I get home.
I'm just pleased I've got the road trailer so I can launch straight off that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0667.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	138012   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0668.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	138013  
Old 09 July 2021, 21:27   #51

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Shit Steve you not having much luck with bloody transom wheels are you.....makes me concerned if they can't handle your setup....what chance will they have of lasting with the weight of mine!
Old 09 July 2021, 22:47   #52

That's really poor. Must admit I've always been pleased to choose non-flip wheels and keep to the Zodiac OE types even if not on a Zodiac SIB. Both their lighter weight type and the standard heavier Aerotec ones are very strong.

As many know if a flip type is needed I only advise Trem HD which have also served me well.

Yellow wheels looking good though!
Old 10 July 2021, 19:16   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Shit Steve you not having much luck with bloody transom wheels are you.....makes me concerned if they can't handle your setup....what chance will they have of lasting with the weight of mine!
I looks like it's part of the weld that has failed which caused it to shear off, so hopefully it's a one off! and won't happen to yours Brian.

Yellow wheels without the transom legs aren't much good tho Fen, but they do work very well when I got to use them.

Ordered some Trem beach rollers to be delivered to the next site we are staying at so we can at least launch from the beach and or slipway. Then I'll have to decide what to do with these transom wherls/legs - keep them and get them altered and beefed up or get in touch with Terry to see about another replacement.

As a footnote, I think New Quay is very easy to launch a SIB from with either a trailer or on transom wheels.
Old 10 July 2021, 21:07   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I looks like it's part of the weld that has failed which caused it to shear off, so hopefully it's a one off! and won't happen to yours Brian.

Yellow wheels without the transom legs aren't much good tho Fen, but they do work very well when I got to use them.
Could be its just a bad one but time will tell... finally got some stuff out onto the decking today but will post later.

Could be the yellow wheels that might have caused or at least contributed to the failure, by putting extra strain on it because there wouldn't be the same cushion without the air tyre.
Old 10 July 2021, 21:17   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Could be its just a bad one but time will tell... finally got some stuff out onto the decking today but will post later.

Could be the yellow wheels that might have caused or at least contributed to the failure, by putting extra strain on it because there wouldn't be the same cushion without the air tyre.
I could agree with the yellow wheel possibility if it had been on a rough surface, but it failed on smooth hard sand, and it was lightly loaded.
Old 10 July 2021, 22:21   #56

In support of yellow wheels I'd say they have as much cushion as the air tyres at the firm pressure I ran them. In fact I'd say in extremis the yellow wheel's plastic centre should break up way before any transom wheel leg should shear or bend.
Old 10 July 2021, 23:12   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
In support of yellow wheels I'd say they have as much cushion as the air tyres at the firm pressure I ran them. In fact I'd say in extremis the yellow wheel's plastic centre should break up way before any transom wheel leg should shear or bend.
Having no real experience of any of them as yet, we have been keeping an eye on any relevant transom wheel threads, and definately bow to your knowledge of all things transom wheel

One thing we discovered today (while pushing the sib around the garden) is different tyre pressure can make a big difference on how well the Excel air tyres work depending on the surfaces from gravel to grass to slabs.

Yet to have the joy of getting smacked in the face with them while in the water though!
Old 11 July 2021, 13:04   #58

Reading this thread with interest as I’ve bought the Excel 350’s last month. So far so good! Since having issues with an Osculati set (brackets bending) I’ve decided to unbolt the outboard each time I bring the boat home. I don’t have a trailer… I just leave the boat up in my back garden and I’m lucky enough to be able to wheel it down to the sea. I just thought not having that extra 50kg of weight on the wheels all the time might prolong their life!
Old 11 July 2021, 13:13   #59

Sorry to hear that they snapped though - I hooe Terry will be fair to you - as the name of this thread suggests!
Old 13 July 2021, 16:04   #60

Arrived at our caravan site and as promised the Trem beach rollers have been delivered

Just one small problem, absolutely no information as to what pressure to inflate them to!

Anyone any ideas?