Old 31 August 2018, 12:01   #1

Town: Leicester
Make: zodiac MK2 GR
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard
Bravo pressure gauge questions

Bought a Bravo pressure gauge to use on my Zodiac classic with semi recessed valves. Never used a pressure gauge before. Put the valve adaptor on it and then put the hose on the topside of the gauge. I have a Bravo 5 footpump and when the gauge shows 2 psi it is really hard to pump.
I normally just pump it up without a gauge and when the tubes feel tight stop pumping. But the pump never gets difficult to pump.
So have I been under inflating without using a gauge or has the gauge given me a false reading.
Old 31 August 2018, 13:07   #2

Town: kansas city
I had the same issue you did last year with my MK2 GR as well. I had been using foot pump to get the tubes tight, then i would stop.
I bought a gauge and thought for sure it was broken, because it was showing 1.5 ish psi even though the tubes were pretty tight.

I then bought a bravo 12v pump and dialed in the psi to 3.4 and oh wow.. I wasn't even close to getting the tubes to the correct psi. The gauge also read the correct psi suddenly.
I learned that the foot pump really is useless as it would take so much effort (and weight) to get to 3.4 psi.

Hope this helps.
Old 31 August 2018, 13:42   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I would suspect brveagle is correct.
Old 31 August 2018, 20:48   #4

Town: Leicester
Make: zodiac MK2 GR
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by brveagle View Post
I had the same issue you did last year with my MK2 GR as well. I had been using foot pump to get the tubes tight, then i would stop.
I bought a gauge and thought for sure it was broken, because it was showing 1.5 ish psi even though the tubes were pretty tight.

I then bought a bravo 12v pump and dialed in the psi to 3.4 and oh wow.. I wasn't even close to getting the tubes to the correct psi. The gauge also read the correct psi suddenly.
I learned that the foot pump really is useless as it would take so much effort (and weight) to get to 3.4 psi.

Hope this helps.
cheers for that info......certainly sounds like I've been under inflating yet the boat seems ok. Looks like I will have to get a power pump instead.
Old 01 September 2018, 16:06   #5

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I would suspect brveagle is correct.
I second that. I have mk2 future. The foot pump needs a younger man than I am. The electric pump with shutoff is the way to go.
Also once you launch the inflatable keel cools and I top it off since the keel is what tightens the bottom fabric.