Old 26 March 2016, 11:56   #1

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Bombard Aerotec from Gumtree

OK, so I went to see a Bombard Aerotec yesterday, after someone else on here, and am pretty please with my purchase. So this thread is to tell my side of the story.

It was this one...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...ine/1160986874

I saw it on Gumtree when I was in Israel, before seeing that Fenlander had pointed it out to Sean. So didn't call the guy til Friday morning, and he said someone was viewing it at 1130. I asked if he was called Sean, he said yes, and although I could have beaten him to a viewing, didn't want to stand in his way, so asked the guy selling to let me know if it didn't sell, or give Sean my number with a view to buying the ob (so I can upgrade to a 15hp).

Got a call to say it was not sold, as Sean wanted it for a really cheap price and they could not agree on a compromise.

So I went to view, and bought. Maybe I am a fool, I hope not. I have yet to find the issues Sean is describing, or they are not nearly a bad as he is suggesting. I have found three small areas that need a little bit of glue, but they should not take long to do. All around the transom seems sound to me. I even got my Dad over to check it out afterwards, he usually tells me what crap I have bought, but he was quite impressed.

As for the rest of the boat, there is not a patch on it that I can see, apart from the two large black ones under the rubbing strake at the stern. They look like they are factory fit, or a very professional repair, done both sides to match. There is not a speck of glue outside the area of the black patches, and they are sound. I have no reason to doubt that they were there from new; maybe the factory had found a small defect, and patched over same area on both sides so it looked reasonable, I don't know, but it's a 2003 boat, so with no other patches that I could see, even on or under the floor, I am not worried.

It was left pumped to pressure in the garden last night, and does not seem to have gone down overnight.

I nearly did walk away, I could not find the serial number plate on the outboard, but then I discovered it's not like the yamaha/mariner ones, is in a different position, and not a metal plate. Seemed to run nicely and very clean under the hood. It started on the second or third pull this morning from cold. It pumps water really well now it's in a tank with the correct water level, it was a bit intermittent yesterday, as the seller did not have enough water in his bin.

Its immaculate under the hood, although the hod itself does have quite a few scratches etc, and there is a bit of bare metal on the top of the engine tray, but no big deal.

Now to find out how to convert the ob to a 15, I think I just need a 15hp Carb... Otherwise all a bit pointless, although I suspect it will all sell for a fair bit more than what I paid, if advertised in the right place.

I will post some pics shortly, and if I can work out how, some video of checking the external seams.
Old 26 March 2016, 12:02   #2

Some pics...

Two showing the black patches, three showing the areas which are lifting a bit and need gluing down, I don't think too big a job, and if not don, would probably not cause an issue for quite a long time, if at all. (in my opinion of course, happy to hear from others on that, the only one that I think could cause an issue is the on on the underside, where water may open it up more)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0179.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	111551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0180.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	111552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0182.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	111553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0183.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	111554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	111555  

Old 26 March 2016, 12:05   #3

A video of me checking one side of the floor joins to the underside.
This is how I noticed the area that needs a bit of glue on the other side, but I cannot load that video right now.

I have one of me checking the transom joints in exactly the same way, but it is too large to post I think
Attached Files
Old 26 March 2016, 12:09   #4

Some more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0190.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	111559   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0191.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	111560   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0192.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	111561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0193.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	111562  
Old 26 March 2016, 12:10   #5

last few of boat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0194.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	111563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	111564   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	111565  
Old 26 March 2016, 12:15   #6

outboard running just after starting from cold
Attached Files
Old 26 March 2016, 12:18   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
That's interesting Neil. It's not neally as bad as I expected.... and it looks so little used and clean.

I guess you and Sean are looking at this from different angles. He is happy to pay £2300 for a "perfect" new one. You already have a previously repaired very old one so are more familiar with cost vs age vs condition.

Those black patches look quite pro... or at least a decent DIY. As they match side to side I do wonder if the boat was initially put to a use or stored in a way where wear was expected in those areas?? I really don't think they are repair patches and wouldn't give them a second thought.

So yes you have early signs of peeling seams... but if that's really all you can peel a minimal repair should suffice.

Office888 is the expert on here so would advise better than me I guess. However I know he says one issue with spot repairs is when cleaning with solvent this can attack the adj sections.

I do wonder if in this case just cleaning with water/squeezy, drying well and using a one part glue might suffice. At least until you've put some distance on the water to make sure it's sound in use?

Will you chuck a new 15hp carb on that XR10 to release its full potential?
Old 26 March 2016, 12:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
That's interesting Neil. It's not neally as bad as I expected.... and it looks so little used and clean.
Having read some of the comments before I got out of the car to see it, I was ready to walk away, and expected much much worse.
Two sides to every story (and then the truth as someone once told me)

Quote:
I guess you and Sean are looking at this from different angles. He is happy to pay £2300 for a "perfect" new one. You already have a previously repaired very old one so are more familiar with cost vs age vs condition.
I fully expect this to last some considerable time yet.

Quote:
I really don't think they are repair patches and wouldn't give them a second thought.
I'm not

Quote:
So yes you have early signs of peeling seams... but if that's really all you can peel a minimal repair should suffice.
Quote:
Office888 is the expert on here so would advise better than me I guess. However I know he says one issue with spot repairs is when cleaning with solvent this can attack the adj sections. I do wonder if in this case just cleaning with water/squeezy, drying well and using a one part glue might suffice. At least until you've put some distance on the water to make sure it's sound in use?

I would be interested to know, is there any reason a bit of marine sikaflex could not be used? Why am I asking that? Because if I think about the rubbing strake on my rib, what Biffer did to reduce the likelihood of water getting in under it, was apply sikaflex to the leading edge. It has held up really well. I don't see why it would degrade the material or the glue, but worth asking.

Maybe Office888 could advise on the sikaflex question.

Quote:
A new one? Will wait a while and try to find one from a breaker first, but I suspect it could be a long wait. Rocking horse poo comes to mind.
Old 26 March 2016, 12:38   #9

>>> is there any reason a bit of marine sikaflex could not be used?

I think Max has mentioned using this in the past.

To me the one part glue is at least halfway to a proper job. In a couple of places on your old one there was Sikaflex which I had to clean off to use proper two part glue... a pig to get the Sikaflex cleaned up. For that reason alone I'd not use it.

Yep I did mean a new used carb. Outboard sounds and looks good. I'd just wonder if its had the thermostat removed as they would not normally produce a constant pee stream at idle.

Oh yes... love the use of the official seam testing spoon!
Old 26 March 2016, 12:46   #10

Quote:
Oh yes... love the use of the official seam testing spoon!
It was easier to show on the video than my finger nail
Old 26 March 2016, 13:09   #11

And finally, the floor
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1458997625073.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	111573   Click image for larger version

Name:	1458997641547.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	111574  
Old 26 March 2016, 13:19   #12

I assume that's the slightly thicker later floor compared to the early floor of your grey one but still with that gritty texture? It looks very clean anyway.
Old 26 March 2016, 13:33   #13

Quote:
I assume that's the slightly thicker later floor compared to the early floor of your grey one but still with that gritty texture? It looks very clean anyway.
No idea at all, but yes, quite clean
Old 26 March 2016, 15:57   #14

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Quote:

Those black patches look quite pro... or at least a decent DIY. As they match side to side I do wonder if the boat was initially put to a use or stored in a way where wear was expected in those areas?? I really don't think they are repair patches and wouldn't give them a second thought.

Office888 is the expert on here so would advise better than me I guess. However I know he says one issue with spot repairs is when cleaning with solvent this can attack the adj sections.

I do wonder if in this case just cleaning with water/squeezy, drying well and using a one part glue might suffice. At least until you've put some distance on the water to make sure it's sound in use?

You're probably right on the fact that we're looking at it from very different angles, I really wanted a new, perfect boat and was happy to pay the premium.

I did think I could lift more around the transom but maybe I was being far too rough. As I said previously, IT'S WELL WORTH THE MONEY and I hope you're happy with it and it serves you well. It just wasn't what I wanted
Old 26 March 2016, 16:42   #15

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hi Neil

First I think you have a cracking boat and for me at that age the repairs are minute IMO. for a repair I would use PVC tear aid over the joints that way you won't be putting solvent down the joint to make things worse tear aid will stop it getting any worse and it moves with the material. When you buy the kit about a tenner it's got alcohol wipes in to clean the area and that's it, it sticks like s--t to a blanket and can be applied in the wet.
Its see through so matches the original material.

Cheers
Old 26 March 2016, 16:51   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
You're probably right on the fact that we're looking at it from very different angles
Exactly what I thought when I read Fenlander's comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
It just wasn't what I wanted
And that's fair enough.

FWIW, given the trouble you have had buying new, I think that the F-Rib could be well worth a look, although I understand the engine problem you then also have... a good second hand 25 SS should sell though, and those F-ribs are fast! And quite capable from what I have seen.

My offer of trying the Bombard is still on the table by the way. Even better, you could consider coming and joining an F Ribs and Sibs cruise, normally one or two F-Ribs out on them, maybe 360's.
Old 26 March 2016, 16:53   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Hi Neil

First I think you have a cracking boat and for me at that age the repairs are minute IMO. for a repair I would use PVC tear aid over the joints that way you won't be putting solvent down the joint to make things worse tear aid will stop it getting any worse and it moves with the material. When you buy the kit about a tenner it's got alcohol wipes in to clean the area and that's it, it sticks like s--t to a blanket and can be applied in the wet.
Its see through so matches the original material.

Cheers
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the tip Sounds like just the job.
Old 27 March 2016, 20:42   #18

So, in the interests of balance... it seems like I missed something every time I have looked at seams until today. I realised I had not looked at a join on either side... as per the pic, this specific area is coming apart a bit on both sides; the pic shows the worse side. Will definitely need gluing back down, and maybe it's what Sean had meant.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160327_192410.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	111617  
Old 28 March 2016, 08:58   #19

Town: Fulham
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
Neil, looks a good purchase, I am excited for you as love my Bombard Aerotec and only be in it since January. You checked your seams so well! I haven't even looked at mine yet.
Old 28 March 2016, 08:59   #20

Town: Fulham
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
I am sure you can fix this black seam with some of the glue you mention.