Old 11 August 2017, 11:57   #1

Town: North queensferry
Make: various boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboard
Bombard Aerotec 380.

I'm thinking about buying a Bombard Aerotec 380 to use with my motor home for a bit of diving and generally pottering around with. There is one for sale nearby but I have not seen it looks ok in pictures but I don't know the age yet. Having read previous threads on here which are verry helpful I have a couple of questions.
It mentions in some threads about a 10 year life span the the boats start to suffer from delamination/glue breaking down. I would have hoped to get a few more years from one especially if buying second hand.
Also are there any particular years of manufacture to avoid. I have a Zodiac fish and Huntwhich is great but the extra size of the bombard would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11 August 2017, 12:20   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
What I usually think is you are safe within the first 10yrs and then the possibility of repairs increases to a near certainty at 18yrs. So between 10 & 18 years you need to factor in the cost/hassle of a re-glue in what you pay.

There are rare examples that have suffered before 10yrs and others that have lasted towards 18yrs without trouble so it's a personal judgement on the specific boat.

Do bear in mind one guy on here who's 380 failed gave no signs whatsoever before the transom half fell off.
Old 11 August 2017, 12:28   #3

Town: North queensferry
Make: various boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboard
Thanks will try and get a look at it next week and find out the age condition etc like everything it comes down to price and condition.