Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: Evinrude 25hp
RIBase
Bombard 380 Winter Storage

HI all,

I have just purchased my first ever boat, a Bombard 380 with an evinrude 25hp. I am interested in what poeple think about winter storage. I do not have the option to leave inflated indoors for winter, but can inflate outside or roll up and leave in its bag. Also whats your thoughts about winter sotrage for the outboard. ?

I really look forward to getting to know you all, and thanks in advance for the advice.

Ian

Old 31 August 2015, 16:35   #2

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Hi, I keep my Honwave & Tohatsu stored very simply. Sib all washed with clean soapy water & rinsed with a hose to remove all the sand/salt. Air dried thoroughly then rolled up & put on a shelf away from the mice..
Outboard flushed in a tank of fresh water and rinsed with the hose. Fuel bowl drained and a good squirt of fogging oil into the spark plug holes.Left on stand in a corner and get rid of any leftover fuel in the lawnmower or car!
Old 31 August 2015, 16:41   #3

RIBase
Thanks for the tips, will see how it goes. Without the owners manual, rolling this thing up is a bit of a trial and error right now....
Old 31 August 2015, 16:45   #4

Has it got an aluminium floor ?
Old 31 August 2015, 16:45   #5

RIBase
no mate, inflatable
Old 31 August 2015, 16:53   #6

Even easier. Outboard off, wheels off. I put a bit of carpet over my Trem wheel brackets when I store it. There'll be plenty of stuff on Google about rolling these things but basically suck all the air out with the pump. Start at the back and fold the ends into the centre behind the transom and roll towards the front.
Just make sure it's very dry or it'll leave unsightly mildew spots and store it out of direct sunlight . Mice will eat it if you let them.
Old 31 August 2015, 16:55   #7

RIBase
Thanks, Can you recommend a good pump I should invest in ? The guy I bought it from provided one for the floor but it does not seem to fit the tubes, and how do you suck air out ? They appear to be one way to me.... Sorry for all the questions, but its really appreciated.
Old 31 August 2015, 17:09   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytac View Post
Thanks, Can you recommend a good pump I should invest in ? The guy I bought it from provided one for the floor but it does not seem to fit the tubes, and how do you suck air out ? They appear to be one way to me.... Sorry for all the questions, but its really appreciated.
Get a bravo pump mate it will pump the floor up to pressure and she will perform well the pump can be set to pressure so no drama also suck air out.

Only my preference but I trailer all my boats stored pumped up with a good quality cover and never winterise as I run it regularly but I have plenty of room.
Looks a nice clean set up by the way

Cheers
Old 31 August 2015, 17:26   #9

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Did it come with the compression bag?
If it did just open valves role up from the stern and the bag compress it very well and gets the air out no problem
If you have not got the bag I would recommend it!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2015, 17:31   #10

RIBase
I do have the bag for her thanks, is there a trick with the air valves as I seem to have to press them in to allow air to escape as I roll it..
Old 31 August 2015, 18:01   #11
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Bombard 380 Winter Storage

Turn the inside bit 90 degrees when you've pushed it in and it locks in place.

Just remember to pop it out again before you inflate the boat next time. Otherwise you'll lose a load of air when you disconnect the pump, and have to pump it up again. Don't ask me how many times I've done that...
Old 31 August 2015, 18:03   #12

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As John says you need to find the position for the valves that keeps them wide open... with yours it might be pushing them in and twisting the inner knurled bit 1/4 turn and it stays locked in with the air free to vent. On my newer one the valve button pushes down against a spring and engages open without the twisting.

I personally don't suck the air our as it can hinder efficient rolling/packing.

So broadly as others say above...

Wash the boat, dry it fully, I'd take out the air floor when cleaning to be totally sure you aren't trapping hidden sand/stones. Check for any chafing/tearing of the floor retaining straps. Put it back in for packing though if you want it ready to go next season**.

With all valves open roll the boat up without worrying to much about getting it neat.... just to expel most of the air. Then roll it back out again.

Then finally... fold the cones into the transom and (ideally) with an assistant pull the grab handles so they meet and roll the transom over tucking in the cones. Do this again until you have about 5ft of the boat left out then fold the forward most 2ft in so the last roll traps this bit.

As you roll each section check there is no spare material poking out to make the pack over wide, at all times nothing should stick out wider than the transom width.

When finally rolled lift it onto the bag/cover and parcel it up with the straps tight.

The Aerotec bag is over large and the straps will be at their tightest way before the boat is pulled down as small as it might.

Mice can be a real problem and the only advice I can give is that they love undisturbed dark places... so I move my packed boat every week to put them off.

**You can leave the floor out if you want and that will make a slightly smaller/lighter bundle.
Old 31 August 2015, 18:08   #13

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>guy I bought it from provided one for the floor but it does not seem to fit the tubes

What sort of pump do you have? The pump usually fits the smaller floor valves directly then there is an adaptor that should be with the pump that "bushes" it up to the tube valve size.

Like this...

http://www.defender.com/images/451142_2.jpg