Old 24 August 2017, 14:47   #1

Town: Cardiff
Boat name: ?
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp
Boating and camping adventure planning

Hi all, first post on here. I have been reading for quite a while and have had some great advise from the threads I have read but I am still struggling to find a specific resource dedicated to the subject header.
I have a Honwave T38 and Honda BF20 OB and part of my dream when I bought the boat was to go on a trip where I could chuck a tent in the boat and do a few legs of a journey camping at each stop.
So far I have mainly been inland, cardiff bay and river cleddau in Pembrokeshire (camping nearby) as I do not yet have a VHF liscence so haven't ventured out into the sea.
What I wondered was does anyone know of any resources I could use to plan a trip such as this? Or does anyone have any suggestions where I might start looking?
Really looking for camp sights with on site slipway (or a bank I can drag the boat up).
Thanks in advance [emoji3]
Old 24 August 2017, 15:07   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I'm not sure what you mean resources to plan something like this?

- boatlaunch.co.uk has useful info on slipways etc.
- OS maps are really useful for picking camp sites - and I find bingmaps are an easy way to zoom in / out on them. (and you can quickly take a satellite/ariel look to)
- navionics charts are available on line and again let you zoom in out, measure distance etc.

Tide tables 7 days in advance are widely available, but you'll need to dig deeper on specific areas to find them with longer predictions.

If you are coming to scotland then the welcome anchorages site is useful.
Pilot books (normally targeted at "yachties") are also helpful.
Old 24 August 2017, 15:20   #3

Thanks Poly, yes these are the kind of resources I was talking about. Or maybe even books, or websites where people have documented past adventures they have been on. Are there any river maps available? I.e similar to the charts available for the sea? I am quite new to boating and camping so any pointers are greatly appreciated.
I have searched the internet quite extensively so I am not being lazy, just trying to work out the best way to piece a trip like this together.
Old 24 August 2017, 15:40   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
If you can come up to the Western Isles (of Scotland!!) the world is your lobster.
All the Sea and land lochs are very accessible.
Starting at Rhu on the Gareloch, for example, where you can park for days and launch from a ramp, and then heading round to Loch Long and Loch Striven.
You can wild camp in most places, it is sheltered from the worst of the weather, is in easy reach of each shore and is the most beautiful place in the whole world (said he).
Once you have got the hang of that...........

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 16:03   #5

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I do agree with Brian that the West Coast of Scotland is Top of the Pops for Wild Camping...especially from your own Boat!..but beware "Once Bitten..."
...and it bites harder and deeper than the Midges!

There are however, lots of places closer to home that are pretty damn good too!
The Wye Valley,around Tintern is one..By Sea..Lundy..The Scillies and the Bristol Channell Coast can afford great Places to Wild Camp.

A book I'd recommend is "Inshore Britain" by Stuart Fisher is a great source of info...he is a Kyaker who took a couple of years off going round the WHOLE Coastline doing just what your talking about...Highly recommend read,and reference
I would say local to you (short Hop across from Cardiff- Well Shortish!)...and a Fantastic spot for Wild Camping!..is Lee Bay between Porlock and Ilfracombe...I've fished and camped there on and off since the late 70's ..and with a SIB
its a great place to explore!..with the obvious weather provisos.
Incidentally I was not surprised to read it's in his Top 3 of the entire Coast
I'm sure if you read The Gurnards adventures you'll pick up some good pointers as regard Kit and equipment...for my part whatever you take make sure it 100% water proofed and 100% Secured in the Boat!
Good luck!... and if you do make plans to get down to Lee Bay pm me

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 16:25   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
In terms of rivers - you probably need to understand who owns/controls what. Essentially if it is tidal then barring and specific local restriction (military, power stations etc) it is free to access; once its non tidal you are into the bewildering world of British Waterways and the Environment Agency. Others are more clued up on that.

As Maxi says - you can find a lot from Canoe/Kayak sources too. Also worth a look is Margret Dye's book on Dinghy Cruising - whilst she is sailing rather than motoring and tends to sleep aboard she does have some useful things to consider.
Old 24 August 2017, 20:13   #7

Cheers guys this is great. Scotland is definitely on my wish list but i want to try something a bit closer to home first to wet my feet [emoji3].
Old 24 August 2017, 21:36   #8

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I haven't yet done an overnight tripon either my SIB or my sailing dinghy, but I've done plenty of boating, and plenty of motorbike and cycle camping, so I've done each of the bits individually.

My process for packing gear is to think, "What am I going to do, and in what order?" and then "What will I need for it?"

So, I think: I need shelter (a tent), something to sleep in (sleeping bag), something to sleep on (mat or camp bed), something to read (Kindle) and a light to read by (head torch) and so on. (Cooking, washing, first aid, etc. in a similar manner.)

You then need to pack things by category (boat tools and safety kit separate from socks and pants) and work out where to stow them for security, easy access, and to keep them dry. Do you have dry bags?

Similar approach to the boat itself: hull, floor, stringers, pump / engine (kill cord), fuel, tools / transom wheels if appropriate (right size spanners) / ropes, anchor, safety kit...

On your first trip you will either:

Be too ambitious and spend too long "in he saddle" or be too cautious and end up with time to kill. Accept that you will make the mistake, then learn from it.

You will also do both of:
Take far too much kit, and forget something essential like matches, tin opener, or condoms.
Deal with the "too much" by the three piles method when you get home.
Deal with the "I forgot" by taking enough money and finding a shop.

The three piles method is when you get home and divide all of your kit into three piles:
A) Stuff you used.
B) Stuff you didn't actually use but would be a fool to go without (safety and first aid kit, or waterproofs, for example)
C) Stuff you didn't use and can manage without - such as the fact that you didn't change your T shirt every day after all.

Don't take pile C next time.
Old 24 August 2017, 22:52   #9

Length: no boat
Llyn peninsula and round Milford haven are worth a look, lots of small bays to explore and options to camp etc but challenging weather will be the issue. Plenty of coastline within an hour or 2 drive of Cardiff to explore, perhaps try a few day trips then an over nighter closer to home (where you can drive to and recce beforehand).

VHF course is great but no necassary in an emergency to use a radio, very much recommended but lots of people regularly out on the water haven't done it......
Old 27 August 2017, 20:01   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
Take far too much kit, and forget something essential like matches, tin opener, or condoms.
made I larf

I have a category of stuff: "I'd have been f##ked if I hadn't brought that"

Your list would cause chaos with my list