Old 17 August 2022, 15:14   #1

Town: West Lothian
Boat licence

Hi all.
I'm pretty new in this so, please forgive me if asking stupid questions

I just moved in to Scotland and would like to buy SIB with engine 6 to 10hp.

I'm confused by different information on web. So would like to ask you guys as this forum seems to be full of skilled people.

Do I need licence for SIB with engine up to 10hp? I will mainly use the boat on sea and lochs (Loch Lomond, Etive, Awe etc.)

I used to live in Canada and there is mandatory to have licence for everything. I still have the licence so maybe it would be valid in UK as well.

I tried look on forum but didn't found relevant answer.

Also as I never owned any outboard engine or SIB, is there any course/ training I could do to get some basic knowledge about rules, mandatory equipment etc. ?

Appreciate any answer.

Regards
Peter
Old 17 August 2022, 15:40   #2

Town: W Midlands
Make: C-Fury Patrol
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha F 50
@Plantex You're in a great part of the UK for using a SIB, there is no requirement for a licence to use the boat in terms of a driving licence, there may be a requirement for a licence to use particular waterways but that isn't a licence relating to competence just a fee for using the waterway.

There are numerous RYA centres offering powerboat training and they may be a good place to start, however, going out with others that have experience is a great way to gain experience.

You can run a SIB with whatever power outboard you like with no requirement for a licence. I recommend getting insurance which is generally very cheap for a SIB, it offers some peace of mind and is a requirement of several slipways for launching in to the sea or several lochs in Scotland including Loch Lomond where you have to register your boat before use as far as I recall.

Do you know what SIB you'll be buying?
Old 17 August 2022, 16:13   #3

@Jung at Heart

Thank you for answer. That's a good news

I don't know yet what exactly I'll buy. But thinking about Honwave T32 IE3. (or similar)

Mostly because I have small car (VW Golf) so need something compact to be able fit in boot with folded rear seats. Trailer isn't solution for me as have no where to park it.
Old 17 August 2022, 18:51   #4

What sort of licence do you mean? You'll need a driving licence if you're going to transport it on the road. But you don't need anything whatsoever to drive the boat in the water. It's a good idea to get some training so you have an idea of how to operate the boat, colregs (the rules of the road), what to do in an emergency etc. RYA powerboat level 2 is seen as the gold standard for entry into the world of powerboating in the UK.
Old 18 August 2022, 09:41   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
The boat will need to be registered to use it on Loch Lomond. (see National Park website). Registration is technically free - but you pay for the stickers / number plate. You'll also pay for the slipway.

I think Loch Awe is a free for all - but you will probably have to pay someone to launch.
Loch Etive is the sea so free - if you launch across the beach at Taynuilt

Others have covered the license question for you. If you are in West Lothian probably your nearest place for training is Port Edgar at South Queensferry. I'm not a huge fan of sailing schools doing powerboat courses - IMHO they focus on the sort of things that matter to dinghy sailers and less on planning, passages etc that are probably more helpful to you. However they are more likely to do tiller controlled boats as part of the course than the big powerboat centres. There is a new powerboat place trying out the south coast rib charter/share/club type approach based their too https://edinburghmarineacademy.co.uk/ - you may get more appropriate knowledge from them but you might want to discuss with them the size of vessel v what you are planning. There are of course also good options on the Clyde and Argyll/Lochaber.
Old 18 August 2022, 12:03   #6

Thank you very much for all answers. Much appreciate.
Old 25 August 2022, 21:57   #7

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
I used to squeeze my T32 into a fiesta so your golf should be fine. I recently did a trip to Scotland and did all the Lochs you mentioned. It was lovely. Google the falls of Lora on Etive if it is a spring tide though. I wish I lived nearer to Scotland. Check out Donny Wilcox videos on YouTube for inspiration, he is a Scottish legend.