Old 14 October 2019, 17:13   #1

Town: Llanfairfechan
Boat name: Labrax
Make: Quicksilver
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Best or worst of both?

As I continue my quest for a sporty fishing boat that I can launch on dinghy wheels, I have avidly read the forum, followed a red herring, feel I am getting closer, but still a bit confused. I have two questions that I hope you will help me with please:

On the "Which SIB?" sticky, 3.1m to 3.4m is recommended as the best size. As I will be on my own most of the time, can you explain the down side of a smaller SIB, for example a 2.7m?

Also, in my search I have come across small aluminium RIBs by Highfield, Europa and Zodiac. Again, I am drawn to the 2.7m models. The are typically 50% more than equivalent sized SIBs but my assumption is that they are more rigit=d with depper V's and so should handle better. Also I would expect them to be more durable. They are a similar weight to equivalent sized SIBs. Apart from the cost, have I missed any disadvantage?
Old 14 October 2019, 17:54   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecheur Anglais View Post
As I continue my quest for a sporty fishing boat that I can launch on dinghy wheels, I have avidly read the forum, followed a red herring, feel I am getting closer, but still a bit confused. I have two questions that I hope you will help me with please:

On the "Which SIB?" sticky, 3.1m to 3.4m is recommended as the best size. As I will be on my own most of the time, can you explain the down side of a smaller SIB, for example a 2.7m?

Also, in my search I have come across small aluminium RIBs by Highfield, Europa and Zodiac. Again, I am drawn to the 2.7m models. The are typically 50% more than equivalent sized SIBs but my assumption is that they are more rigit=d with depper V's and so should handle better. Also I would expect them to be more durable. They are a similar weight to equivalent sized SIBs. Apart from the cost, have I missed any disadvantage?
A hard hull will in general out perform a sib in most aspects except the obvious, you cant fold it up & they cost more. We swapped our hard boat tender from a 2.9m sib to an aluminium rib and its faster & lighter than the previous air deck sib.
Wrt the length you will find that length matters when out on the water & a smaller boat soon gets filled up with gear, extra fuel food etc if your going any distance or taking camping gear etc.
Old 14 October 2019, 18:17   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
The downside of a small SIB is not just about things/people you can carry but it can feel a little threatening in a larger sea. Having said that The Gurnard on here goes many places off the West Coast of Scotland in his 2.75m folding RIB... but he does have a lifetime of experience in that area.

Re the hard hull as Beamishken says... often better than a SIB... but you can't roll them up on the back seat of the car.
Old 15 October 2019, 08:42   #4

Thanks Gentlemen, looks like a bit more length will be a wiser choice.
Old 15 October 2019, 08:46   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
on my excel thread pikey dave has just replied about the ability to move his excel volair with fuel and 20 hp engine with ease i think it's 4.2 long quite wide too i put a link up to the site so all the specs are there. he wanted a blow and go set up for his trips the boat its self is very impressive i just been round jura with one.

the far boat is the volair
Old 15 October 2019, 09:46   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> followed a red herring

The KB350??
Old 15 October 2019, 11:34   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
on my excel thread pikey dave has just replied about the ability to move his excel volair with fuel and 20 hp engine with ease i think it's 4.2 long quite wide too i put a link up to the site so all the specs are there. he wanted a blow and go set up for his trips the boat its self is very impressive i just been round jura with one.

Mines the 390 Jeff. Quite surprised how easy it is to manoeuvre single handed. It’s a doddle with 2.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 11:46   #8

Quote:

Had a look at the thread, I'm considering the smaller Virago 290 or 310 with a 10hp engine. Great video, looks like a lot of fun!
Old 15 October 2019, 11:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>> followed a red herring

The KB350??
Looks that way after reading all the comments from experienced Sibbers on here. I like to think myself open minded, but don't want to buy one just to prove the sales guy wrong. If he puts me in touch with the guy on Anglesey with one, I will be interested to follow that up if its not too late.
Old 15 October 2019, 12:25   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
ah assumed dave, still a foot's not going to change much
Old 15 October 2019, 13:41   #11

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
ah assumed dave, still a foot's not going to change much

Tell the mrs that[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote