Old 23 March 2020, 17:34   #1

Town: Gaillard
Length: no boat
Best 3m Alu floor, 6hp outboard combo

Hello everyone! First post here after much lurking and reading.

I am looking to buy a new SIB for this summer and would like opinions on what are the best:

3.0 metre alu decked, inflatable keel
6hp 4 stroke outboard

Understanding that opinions are like ars.... well you know, I still would like to here some. Or maybe there are ones to avoid particularly? My current feeling is to go for the honwave t30-ae coupled with a Honda BF6. Budget isn't too much of a constraint as things seem to be much of a muchness in this range.

Have obviously read a lot of cautionary words about the inconvenience of assembly and pack down with the alu floor but it's not so much of a worry for me as I can chuck the boat on the roof of the truck most the time.

Looking forward to hearing some thoughts!

All the best
Old 23 March 2020, 20:14   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
The Honwave is a great choice... I've owned the 3.5m and it was excellent.

Re motors get the specs up for all the makes and see if any aspect is most important to you. Then consider which makes have local dealers for warranty services.
Old 24 March 2020, 12:27   #3

Thanks Fenlander. There are centres for mercury, Yamaha and Honda within a similar distance so I suppose it narrows it down to those three. The Honda appealed due to their vibration reduction claims, and I’ve also seen several people suggest it’s the quietest? Is there a particular reason I shouldn’t go for a Honda? Thanks!
Old 24 March 2020, 17:05   #4

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
If budget isn't an issue, can go for a 4 stroke Merc 9.8 HP motor. 6-8 and 9.8 HP motors share the same 209 CC powerhead and weight along different ECU's.

All being rebadged same Tohatsus models. A 3.5 meter Sib will benefit being powered with a tad larger motor than with a 6 one, if in need prop it right to get the max HP out of it...

Happy Boating
Old 24 March 2020, 20:49   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
If budget isn't an issue, can go for a 4 stroke Merc 9.8 HP motor. 6-8 and 9.8 HP motors share the same 209 CC powerhead and weight along different ECU's.

All being rebadged same Tohatsus models. A 3.5 meter Sib will benefit being powered with a tad larger motor than with a 6 one, if in need prop it right to get the max HP out of it...

Happy Boating

I think the OP is restricted to 6hp max due to local regulations.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 10:30   #6

Yes, as Dave says, I'm limited to 6hp and a 3m boat where I am, otherwise things get complicated. But thanks for the input!
Old 25 March 2020, 20:48   #7

Town: Setúbal
Boat name: RONHAS
Engine: Yamaha 6HP & 2.5HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheathy View Post
Yes, as Dave says, I'm limited to 6hp and a 3m boat where I am, otherwise things get complicated. But thanks for the input!
Yamaha!!! I know its a 6HP that you're looking for but take a look down there

https://www.mby.com/gear/ultimate-5h...p-test-50627/2
Old 26 March 2020, 07:44   #8

Town: Cirencester
Boat name: Whistler/Flying Fish
Make: Avon SR4 / Excel XHD
Engine: O/B 50hp / 20hp
MMSI: 232029831/232027528
I have a 3.65 excel XHD with aluminium floor, fabulous boat and can’t fault it. Tohatsu motors get my vote too.
Old 26 March 2020, 08:55   #9

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladonians View Post
I have a 3.65 excel XHD with aluminium floor, fabulous boat and can’t fault it. Tohatsu motors get my vote too.
+1 excel boats they do ali floor small ribs too flatish floor
Old 26 March 2020, 10:26   #10

Thanks all, the Excel boats look great and very well made, particularly at that price point. I haven't been able to find a 3m boat with Alu deck on their site though, the smallest I found was 3.35 which is not doable for me (as much as I would love to). Does anyone know any different?

Will check out Tohatsu, I've seen a lot of people saying all other engines are just rebranded Tohatsus anyway but I think there is limited truth with that. My understanding was that Honda are the best for refinement but you pay for it, am I wrong? I know the article above doesn't agree, but these things are always a little subjective, plus it's a four year old article and the honda they are looking at doesn't have an integrated tank where the current generation of BF4,5,6 all do, so I'm sure other things have changed too.
Old 26 March 2020, 10:37   #11

Easy to find glowing reviews of the "new" version of the BF6 introduced in late 2016 by the looks of it:

https://www.boatingmag.com/honda-bf6/

mby.com/editors_choice/honda-bf6-outboard-engine-87798

https://www.boatsales.com.au/editori...-review-58049/

https://thenewswheel.com/honda-bf6-o...ndustry-award/
Old 26 March 2020, 11:31   #12

RIBase
they do a 290 too

tohatsu make the engines for mercury/ mariner sub 70 hp i believe certainly sub 25 hp

https://www.excel-inflatables.co.uk/...virago_310.php
Old 26 March 2020, 13:20   #13

Town: Setúbal
Boat name: RONHAS
Engine: Yamaha 6HP & 2.5HP
Quote:
Easy to find glowing reviews of the "new" version of the BF6 introduced in late 2016 by the looks of it:

https://www.boatingmag.com/honda-bf6/

mby.com/editors_choice/honda-bf6-outboard-engine-87798

https://www.boatsales.com.au/editori...-review-58049/

https://thenewswheel.com/honda-bf6-o...ndustry-award/
And did you find any comparasion test for 6HP outboard motors envolving Honda, Yamaha, Tohatsu, Mercury....? Review is one thing, comparasion test is another.
Old 26 March 2020, 13:59   #14

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>tohatsu make the engines for mercury/ mariner sub 70 hp i believe certainly sub 25 hp

It's a vey tight relationship in that for decades the factory that makes the Tohatsus and Mercury/Mariner models that are the same is actually a joint business venture between Tohatsu and the Mercury parent co Brunswick.

In the past for some sizes Tohatsu motors have been in the USA with Nissan & Evinrude branding... on the flipside Honda have supplied some larger motors which have been branded Tohatsu.

And of course in the past many Mariner models were Yamahas.

There are probably more I don't know of.

But the main point is all the major brands (my experience is 25hp and under) are made to a decent standard and reliable so just choose on features, price and nearby dealer.

I do like the look of that latest Honda in several respects and for their extra attempts to filter out vibration which can be an issue for these smaller single cylinder motors.

I am also irrationally drawn to the Mercury/Mariner with their thru-hub exhausts which makes them look a bit more grown up.
Old 26 March 2020, 16:30   #15

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Tohatsu makes rebadged motors for Evinrude and Merc. Honda makes rebdged Tohatsu motors 120 HP and up. Don't go under a 3 meter Sib, go for a larger one. A shorter size Sib produces much more hull drag than a longer one specially with a underpowered motor. So a 6 HP motor is the max that can go for, the post doesn't specify if there's a HP restriction where the OP plans going boating to.

Aside from the Suzumar, Honda and Excell inflatables. Can recommend these nice affordable Sib and Ribs you probably haven't heard of : Check if there's a UK distributor..

https://www.3dtender.com/HOME-140-0-0-0.html

Happy Boating
Old 26 March 2020, 20:01   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Tohatsu makes rebadged motors for Evinrude and Merc. Honda makes rebdged Tohatsu motors 120 HP and up. Don't go under a 3 meter Sib, go for a larger one. A shorter size Sib produces much more hull drag than a longer one specially with a underpowered motor. So a 6 HP motor is the max that can go for, the post doesn't specify if there's a HP restriction where the OP plans going boating to.

Aside from the Suzumar, Honda and Excell inflatables. Can recommend these nice affordable Sib and Ribs you probably haven't heard of : Check if there's a UK distributor..

https://www.3dtender.com/HOME-140-0-0-0.html

Happy Boating
Post 6, 3m and 6 hp
Old 27 March 2020, 08:18   #17

Yes, unfortunately as Jeff said I'm limited to 3m and 6hp.

@MadnessoftheSeas, no you're quite right, unfortunately there is no comparison review for current model engines in this class, but equally I don't think the review of the old models is very relevant to the current models. As many of you said, they will all probably be reliable well built and absolutely fine for what I need.

One question for all you knowledgeable folk, I'm currently considering buying from the UK and having delivered here, as the pound is low at present and the asking price is way way lower there. Do you know if the warranty on engines and boats is generally international?

Thanks again!
Old 27 March 2020, 08:49   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Yes, unfortunately as Jeff said I'm limited to 3m and 6hp.

@MadnessoftheSeas, no you're quite right, unfortunately there is no comparison review for current model engines in this class, but equally I don't think the review of the old models is very relevant to the current models. As many of you said, they will all probably be reliable well built and absolutely fine for what I need.

One question for all you knowledgeable folk, I'm currently considering buying from the UK and having delivered here, as the pound is low at present and the asking price is way way lower there. Do you know if the warranty on engines and boats is generally international?

Thanks again!
not sure about others but just picked this out.but remember for the warranty you need a dealer close by or you might as well not have one trust me i know ive had problems my dealer is an hour away on balance i think i could have sorted mine out cheaper DIY. having said that ive owned 6 brand new engines only had bother with one and that was water contamination not the engines fault.

https://marine.suzuki.co.uk/owners/warranty/
Old 27 March 2020, 10:01   #19

Thanks again Jeff, very useful as always.

Some digging seems to reveal a Honda engine purchased in the UK only seems to be covered in the UK, disappointingly: https://www.honda.co.uk/marine/owners/warranty.html
If I buy one here in France it is only accompanied by a 2 year warranty! In fact that seems true for mercury here too: https://samerwebapp01apncus01.azuree..._charts_en.pdf

Finding it very hard to find much info on warranties in france for most companies though! Stuff like that is very strange over here.

Regarding a dealer close by, there is a place 20km from me which pops up on all the big manufacturers (honda, yamaha, suzuki, mercury) "find a dealer near me" apps, but their website is completely useless, so I'll have to go there in person when the lock down is over I think and find out what's what.
Old 04 April 2020, 09:02   #20

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I’ve got a Zodiac 285s (2.85m but they also do a 3.1m)

This has a wood floor, l can assemble it in about 20 minutes from rolled up. It also has an air keel and planes well with a 6hp and two of us on board, achieving about 14mph.

We’ve had the boat nine years and have used it many times, without any issues at all.

I since changed the Mariner 6hp four stroke for a Tohatsu 9.8 two stroke.

But with the Mariner fitted the boat performed well.

Tags
outboard