Old 09 June 2021, 15:14   #21

Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 20hp
Rock hard (and sandable) is good in my case as my transom is aluminium and only 4/5mm thick! It's belt and braces as I'm keeping the wood block on the exterior whick will be filled... the dowel again good for me as it's just a packer for the transom wheels.
Old 09 June 2021, 16:00   #22

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Tonus,

No problem with your plan of using dowels to fill the existing holes but they do need to be an interference fit. You still néed to use an adhesive, but there's no need for great expense, any 2 pack epoxy resin will do the job. Can't say I'd be that keen on little bits of ply glued to the existing ply spacers to support the new brackets, think they will eventually fall off.

I am surprised you can't get the old packers off. I assume you have tried a broad sharp chisel at the point where the ply mates upto the transom. A good hit with a hammer should either get them free or split the ply. If it does split the ply you can then at least chisel/sand the rest off.
No doubt it will mark your transom, but you will be covering it and the existing holes with a new bigger ply packer. It would, IMO, be a much neater and more permanent job.
Old 09 June 2021, 20:56   #23

I tend to agree. If more wood is required then sheet off the existing blocks, clear the surface and for new blocks to the right size.