Old 19 December 2022, 20:59   #41

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
dowell and epoxy any holes that I can't use for the new wheels, then hopefully fit the new wheels after Christmas.
They are so badly twisted and bent it's no wonder I could never push/pull Redneck in a straight line!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
VERY interested to see how this pans out. My existing wheels are going the same way & will need replacing sooner rather than later.
Yip my brackets and even the wheel legs going the same way before we packed things away for the winter.

I think it will be interesting for a few of the guys on here to see how it goes, and will give us a better idea if they will be suitable for other sibs like volaire

If you could let us see a step by step repair of the transom (and what you used) as well that would be great steve.

A bit clueless and not very confident on the best way to fill the holes etc and didnt find much on youtube

Oh and Merry Christmas
Old 19 December 2022, 21:56   #42

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Sorry Brian, already drilled, dowelled and epoxy applied, never thought to do a step by step
I'll post a few pics and a write up of what I used tomorrow.
Old 19 December 2022, 22:00   #43

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mercury 20hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Yip my brackets and even the wheel legs going the same way before we packed things away for the winter.

I think it will be interesting for a few of the guys on here to see how it goes, and will give us a better idea if they will be suitable for other sibs like volaire

If you could let us see a step by step repair of the transom (and what you used) as well that would be great steve.

A bit clueless and not very confident on the best way to fill the holes etc and didnt find much on youtube

Oh and Merry Christmas

I didn’t use dowels when I filled the holes as I have a little Alu hull/transom - the transom is only 4-5mm thick… I used a two part epoxy putty. You mix the two clays together and it dries hard as nails. By far the hardest filler of any type I’ve used.
So a tight dowel through the wood and some of this resin at either end would be perfect I think… please anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong!
Old 19 December 2022, 22:23   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
I didn’t use dowels when I filled the holes as I have a little Alu hull/transom - the transom is only 4-5mm thick… I used a two part epoxy putty. You mix the two clays together and it dries hard as nails. By far the hardest filler of any type I’ve used.
So a tight dowel through the wood and some of this resin at either end would be perfect I think… please anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong!
Agree Tonus I only used epoxy resin as I have it in the workshop, and I have black tint to match the transom. If I didn't have the hardwood dowells and epoxy to hand, I would probably have filled the holes with something like P38.
Old 19 December 2022, 22:28   #45

Steve you said you ‘drilled’ and dowelled… did you drill a new (wider) clean hole to match the dowel thickness? That’s smart
Old 19 December 2022, 23:01   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
Steve you said you ‘drilled’ and dowelled… did you drill a new (wider) clean hole to match the dowel thickness? That’s smart
Yes, but it's out of habit really. I was taught, wherever possible, you should always drill a clean hole if you are going to repair a dowelled joint (sometimes the wood isn't thick enough)
For instance, if you are repairing a drawer which has been damaged and the original used 6mm dowells. A clean hole should be drilled to take 8mm dowells. The reason for this is you don't know what adhesive was originally used and it could contaminate/weaken the new adhesive and the dowelled joint. In this case the holes had been sealed with 291, so it was the easiest way to get rid of it.
Probably a bit OTT, but habits are hard to change.
Old 19 December 2022, 23:15   #47

Yeh that makes total sense, very good. Also in the case of a transom wheel bracket hole - it might have been 6mm once upon a time but the bolt thread could have been munching at it for ages… nice one good tip
Old 21 December 2022, 21:20   #48

Ahh P38...is that the same stuff I used to use many many years ago to fill my first ever car......

or maybe the car was built around the filler when I think about it

Good point about the hole size guys
Old 21 December 2022, 21:58   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Ahh P38...is that the same stuff I used to use many many years ago to fill my first ever car......

or maybe the car was built around the filler when I think about it

Good point about the hole size guys
That's the one Brian

I wouldn't be to concerned about drilling a few extra holes in the transom to fit new wheels. My take on it is - over the course of a year a SIB is only in the water for a short period of time, so providing the old holes are filled and watertight and the SIB is fully dried before packing away, it won't make any difference. Obviously if your SIB lives on the water or is out in the open all year, (or if you're a bit OCD like me ) I would take a different view on it.
The one time I would definitely recommend repairing an old hole using a dowell is when the new hole to be drilled, is either very close, or overlaps the old hole. By dowelling the old hole, it's easier to drill the new hole and makes the surrounding area of the new hole more stable.
Hope that makes sense, it does in my head but that's after a bottle of red
Old 28 December 2022, 20:12   #50

Fitting My New Transom Wheels

My kids looked after me this Christmas and the box under the tree was the beachmaster type wheels I had hoped for.

Now that the happy chaos of a full on family Christmas is over (aka - they've eaten and drank everything and now all gone back to their own places) I've had a chance to spend some time fitting them.

A word of caution to anyone else who fits them in the future. It takes longer than you'd think and the tolerance between the transom wheel brackets and the mounts is less than a gnats, so make sure you drill very, very accurately.

Old 29 December 2022, 20:50   #51

Nice one Steve.......you must have been a very good boy this year!

The video will be helpful for anyone else taking a look at these like me or Pd and the potential investment for the Volaire.

Will be interesting to see how you get on with them, how much clearance they give.....once you get them outside......on the water etc
Old 29 December 2022, 22:16   #52

Hi Brian, hope you had a good Christmas.

Looks like next Monday is a decent day, so I'm hoping to get Redneck inflated and the OB on. I'll then be able to see how easily (or not) it moves and how much clearance there is between the top of the wheel and the bottom of the deck.
Think it will be be a while before I get out on the water though, maybe the end of March.
Old 31 December 2022, 14:50   #53

Beachmaster Type Wheels

I was a bit bored yesterday and the weatherman said it was going to be dry all day (WRONG AGAIN) so I decided to inflate Redneck and test out the Beachmaster type transom wheels albeit on dry('ish) land.

I took some measurements for those who are interested in getting some, however I don't think they are suitable for any SIB with an airdeck that goes beyond the transom such as the Volaire or T38 IE3 without using packing as suggested by Chipko in #18

Hope the video is useful to those considering new transom wheels.

Old 24 January 2023, 11:49   #54

Great video Steve thanks
Old 24 January 2023, 17:04   #55

Thanks Tonus. I hope to update the post with a new video to show lauching/retrieving and how the wheels sit when the SIB is on the water. Just got to wait for some decent weather.
Old 17 March 2023, 16:02   #56

Steve509926 - any new experience with the Beachmaster type wheels yet?! I’m readying for the season and the Excel wheels are failing - the brackets are starting to bend (on very very little use as I trailer launched a lot last year) - those 350mm-arched arm types are not fit for purpose!
Old 17 March 2023, 17:48   #57

Hi Tonus, unfortunately not. That thing called work has got in the way of getting out on the water. Hoping to get out mid April even if its only up to Ulleswater for the day.
Old 21 March 2023, 09:46   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Tonus, unfortunately not. That thing called work has got in the way of getting out on the water. Hoping to get out mid April even if its only up to Ulleswater for the day.

Ah the old work thing, shame!
I think I’m going to go ahead and try these wheels out - did you get them from Chas Newens Marine?

By the way if anyone else is considering these, I had a look on the Beachmaster website and found the ‘Customer Photos’ really helpful in deciding whether this type of wheel would fit on my boat.
I actually found a pic of my exact boat with a similar engine on there which was surprising and v useful. When you get to the bottom of the first page of photos there’s a link to another page with lots more customer pics… all manner of boats including a Honwave with the trim tabs!
Old 21 March 2023, 10:13   #59

Yep, from Chas Newens.
Old 18 April 2023, 17:55   #60

Decided that the weather is too good and life is too short to work whilst the sun is shining.
I'll be taking Redneck out on Thursday to test the Beachmaster type wheels and do a couple of prop test with a tiny tach.
If anyone wants any measurements re: Beachmaster wheels, let me know.