Old 25 September 2017, 17:52   #1

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Bargain rope, Homebase

Our local Homebase has 30 metre lengths of 9mm braided polypropylene rope for £3, which is 10 pence a metre. It has a breaking strain of 250kg and is flexible and easy to handle - it's not that horrible blue twisted polyprop that is often available cheaply. It's not the best rope in the world, but it's ideal for mooring a small boat, tying things onto the roof rack, and various other general and boating purposes. In a marina, similar rope would be either side of £1 a metre.
Old 25 September 2017, 20:03   #2

Thats a cheap price for that - but not as cheap as you might think. Sure I've bought some from Lidl in the past for £5, would need to check length.

But its cr@p. Break strain 250kg is what you'd get on 3mm from a chandler. 8mm should be close to 1000kg with working load 750kg and 10mm 1250 and 1500kg.

So only of use on light loading activities.

I wouldn't use it for mooring on a RIB - although I don't know what the load is on a RIB mooring rope...
Old 25 September 2017, 20:23   #3

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
I've used it before I think. . . . if it's white and feels very very plastic and slippery, it will not lock on itsself, avoid it as despite using various marine knots it doesn't hold a tight knot and it unites its self despite how tight you tie the knot, it's excellent for knot practice! (I think it's has the wrong/excess plastic content) and I guess that's why it's on clearance lol don't rely on it to hold anything tied down or secure. If it's a blue one with red flecks on a blue hand spindle it's ok and a good rope with certain light but it's not a marine rope.

Any pics???
Old 25 September 2017, 20:34   #4

Nah not the horrific 3 ply white stuff... I think it will be like this:

https://www.buysend.com/Product/9016...ne-fibres-30m/

Its just slightly odd and cheap feeling "main sheet" type rope you'd have on a sailing dinghy...
Old 26 September 2017, 05:54   #5

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
It's braided, coloured, with a bit of a pattern. It isn't beautiful rope, but it feels like it will hold a knot. I'll happily use it for mooring on the river, and for general tying things together. I wouldn't use it for a dinghy mainsheet or halyard and I wouldn't use it to anchor in a current, swell or strong wind or if I was leaving the boat unattended. But for £3 for 30 metres for a reasonably good general purpose rope I thought it was worth sharing.
Old 26 September 2017, 07:19   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
It's braided, coloured, with a bit of a pattern. It isn't beautiful rope, but it feels like it will hold a knot. I'll happily use it for mooring on the river, and for general tying things together. I wouldn't use it for a dinghy mainsheet or halyard and I wouldn't use it to anchor in a current, swell or strong wind or if I was leaving the boat unattended. But for £3 for 30 metres for a reasonably good general purpose rope I thought it was worth sharing.

I bought some of the same from B&Q years ago. Used it for allsorts of stuff including a diving deco station, still going strong bargain[emoji106] I wouldn't use it for any high load application anchoring etc. But it's fine for the painter on the tender.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 14:07   #7

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Nah not the horrific 3 ply white stuff... I think it will be like this:

https://www.buysend.com/Product/9016...ne-fibres-30m/

Its just slightly odd and cheap feeling "main sheet" type rope you'd have on a sailing dinghy...
That's not to bad I've used it for years for camping and bushcraft and mored up sibs with it
Old 05 October 2017, 08:38   #8

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I carry a length of the stuff, picked it up some where along the way. Used it for back up ropes, spare springs, towing toys and dinghies.

Always handy to have as packs small and ok for what it is.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 October 2017, 17:33   #9

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
It's not bad stuff, I bought a load of it from a B&M home bargains store, use it on the boat for mooring lines and the rest gradually gets used to lash down loads in my van. But I wouldn't use it for rigging or anchoring. I'd even trust blue polyprop over it for any critical uses