Old 09 April 2021, 10:14   #1

Town: Northwich
Make: Avon
Length: under 3m
Avon Rover R2-80

Hello,
I'm completely new to all this so please bear with me if my query seems a bit basic.

I've recently bought an old grey Avon Rover R2.80 SIB, possibly early 1980s.
The Hypalon tubes are in good order but it didn't come with the plywood floor panels or inflatable keel (I presume it should have one as the connection tabs are on the inside floor?), and although the transom is solid the varnish is worn and needs re-sealing. I only paid £110 for it so always knew it would need a bit of work! So, I'd appreciate your advice re the following:

Does anyone have the dimensions, a plan or even photos for Rover R2-80 floor panels?

Would it be ok to make the floor panels out of exterior 12mm plywood, if epoxy resin coated / does it have to be marine plywood?

Any ideas re where I can buy stringers / suggestions re making my own?

For the transom, would Yacht varnish be suitable or should I use epoxy resin?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10 April 2021, 18:07   #2

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Marine ply is far stuffer and stays flatter.
I paint with oil based rustoleum. I was surprised to see other boat builders using it. Epoxy clouds up from sun.
In the early “80s” I had a 4 meter Spitfire. It’s a black/red version of the rover. It’s floor was 3/4” main floor with 1/2” in the nose. Sections had extruded aluminum “H” channel connections with triangle shaped side stiffeners on the main floor sections. Good luck
Old 10 April 2021, 18:15   #3

Town: Northwich
Make: Avon
Length: under 3m
Thanks Pagick, that's really helpful. Marine plywood it is then, as I certainly want it to last.
I've not heard of using Rustoleum on wood, but if it's worked for you I'll give it a try.
Old 10 April 2021, 20:19   #4

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Use oil base only.
Old 13 April 2021, 15:31   #5

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Actually, the above is not quite true, at least not in the "Kingdom".

Good quality WBP plywood can be of a quality far higher than Lloyds approved marine ply. In most cases, you just pay extra for the Lloyds stamp.

It is an urban myth, fiercely defended by some, that Marine Ply is better quality than WBP.

My boat is mostly made out of WBP since a lot of marine ply I found was pretty low quality. I put a higher quality wood in, but as a self build I didn't require the Lloyds stamp, so it was good all round.

If you want Top Quality AND the Lloyds approved stamp, then Robbins Timber in bristol is the go to place. But for much of my build, I used an Okoume WBP Ply from Totton Timber in Southampton that had a higher rating than any normal marine ply - the only step up would have been the Robbins stuff - the wood wouldn't have been better, it'd have just had the stamp.

https://www.robbins.co.uk/products-p...lywood-panels/
https://www.tottontimber.com/
Old 13 April 2021, 16:38   #6

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Actually, the above is not quite true, at least not in the "Kingdom".

Good quality WBP plywood can be of a quality far higher than Lloyds approved marine ply. In most cases, you just pay extra for the Lloyds stamp.

It is an urban myth, fiercely defended by some, that Marine Ply is better quality than WBP.

My boat is mostly made out of WBP since a lot of marine ply I found was pretty low quality. I put a higher quality wood in, but as a self build I didn't require the Lloyds stamp, so it was good all round.

If you want Top Quality AND the Lloyds approved stamp, then Robbins Timber in bristol is the go to place. But for much of my build, I used an Okoume WBP Ply from Totton Timber in Southampton that had a higher rating than any normal marine ply - the only step up would have been the Robbins stuff - the wood wouldn't have been better, it'd have just had the stamp.

https://www.robbins.co.uk/products-p...lywood-panels/
https://www.tottontimber.com/
Totally agree with this unless you pay crazy money for robbins elite the marine ply ive seen is crap and contained significant voids.
I just use a good quality wbp from a builders merchants but I ask to see it first as quality can vary

Tags
avon, floor, plywood, rover