Old 19 May 2014, 16:59   #21

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukinado View Post
Having a boat and not fishing? For me that's blasphemy...

Having a boat and filling it with stinky fish guts and blood, thats blasphemy
Old 19 May 2014, 17:09   #22

Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Having a boat and filling it with stinky fish guts and blood, thats blasphemy
Ahah good point!
Old 19 May 2014, 17:11   #23

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Yep, Landlockedpirate is quite right, liked the neat comparisson between a boat versus a water toy. For the record, the difference is that a traditional sib has a thicker gauge fabric which gives more boat rigidity seams are welded or glued, just to mention 2 difference which a cheaper toy ones.

Their water performance is awfull when engine pushes along. Doesn't have a rear transom to support engine as in the 310 model. You can put tons of add on gadgets, but will always remain as a eye catching TOY.

The 310 will be about right if rowing or motoring with a 6 HP. The only issue I'm not convinced is all about price and its fabric gauge. Usually you get what you pay for.

Happy Boating
Old 19 May 2014, 19:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
The 310 will be about right if rowing or motoring with a 6 HP. The only issue I'm not convinced is all about price and its fabric gauge. Usually you get what you pay for.
Can't argue with that. But as long as it lasts some years I'll be happy with it.
Old 19 May 2014, 22:35   #25

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Engine: 50hp e-tec
Personally i would be buying something older rather than new and possibly rubbish. Older wood floor avon boats with hypalon fabric sell for very cheap, and are easy to repair if you get a puncture. A half decent one should have plenty of life left in it.

Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121335077368 is a lot better than a glorified pool toy, pretty much on budget and was the first hit on the eBay search.
Old 19 May 2014, 23:49   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik_elliott View Post
Personally i would be buying something older rather than new and possibly rubbish. Older wood floor avon boats with hypalon fabric sell for very cheap, and are easy to repair if you get a puncture. A half decent one should have plenty of life left in it.

Something like this AVON ROVER 280 R2-80 INFLATABLE DINGHY | eBay is a lot better than a glorified pool toy, pretty much on budget and was the first hit on the eBay search.
I'm based in Portugal so I probably can't buy a used boat via ebay (since most sellers won't ship them). I can take a look here but the best thing I found so far was the Zodiac I posted earlier.
Old 20 May 2014, 04:57   #27

Wow, this one got me thinking:

barco suzumar 3.20 metros com atrelado - à venda Barcos, Setúbal - CustoJusto.pt

Boat + tow for that price. Negotiable...
Old 20 May 2014, 10:04   #28

Suzumar are really good boats, and at 3.2m its a great size for a sib. Boat is not quite as good quality as the Zodiac but streets ahead of all the others you have mentioned.

These boats have welded seams so should hold air for years, however the rest of the boat is held together with standard PVC glue. Glue on all makes of PVC boats has a life span of about 10 years (this is not an exact figure, but a good approximation), at this point the glue degrades so much it starts to fail. Things start to come loose and eventually the floor drops out or the transom falls off. All of these things can be repaired pretty easily using 2 part glue, but it takes time and patience.

The other enemy of inflatables is sun (not a big problem here in the UK ), if left in direct sunlight for extended periods the material goes brown and starts to degrade and even delaminate. It also seems to speed up the glue failing.

Check out the boat carefully, look for signs the glue is failing on the fittings (D rings, safety line, oar locks etc), check for signs of sun damage and then negoitiate accordingly. Only buy and older boat like this if you are quite handy with repairs, or can pay someone else to do it.
Old 20 May 2014, 12:56   #29

Is that epoxy glue? If it is I can easily repair that kind of stuff. I am quite handy with this stuff as I repair all my stuff myself (my bikes and my motorcycle).

That said I'll take a good look, but by the pictures this boat doesn't seem to have much decay from sun.

BTW, do you know this specific model? Is it a RIB or a SIB? Can I desinflate it and store it away?
Do you recon I could stick in no top of my Megane 5 door hatchback instead of using the tow?

I aslo found this one:
Barco Quiksilver + Motor Honda 2 HP - à venda Barcos, Lisboa - CustoJusto.pt
Price is interesting for the whole boat but is that a 240?
Old 20 May 2014, 13:43   #30

Specific 2 part glue for PVC inflatables, buy from a chandlery.

Boat is a late 90's Suzumar 320 sib, should have a part wood and part aluminium floor with an inflatable keel. The whole lot can be deflated and packed into a couple of bags which should just fit in the boot of a megan. It will fit on the roof but it will look huge and be difficult to fasten on if you are travelling any distance.

2nd boat is a 2.4m Quicklsilver with a slat floor (the least expensive but also the least usable floor option), engine is a 2hp, air cooled 4 stroke. TBH its not a great engine, noisy and can be difficult to start. Quicksilver is a good boat similar quality to the Suzumar and it looks a bit newer. Having said all that its a decent starter package that will all fit easily in the boot, if you only want to use it with 2 people on board. I dont know what the prices are near you, but that kit would sell for about £300 on ebay in the UK.
Old 20 May 2014, 14:14   #31

Quote:
2nd boat is a 2.4m Quicklsilver with a slat floor (the least expensive but also the least usable floor option), engine is a 2hp, air cooled 4 stroke. TBH its not a great engine, noisy and can be difficult to start. Quicksilver is a good boat similar quality to the Suzumar and it looks a bit newer. Having said all that its a decent starter package that will all fit easily in the boot, if you only want to use it with 2 people on board. I dont know what the prices are near you, but that kit would sell for about £300 on ebay in the UK.
That is the cheapest package I have found so far. Because the wages are low here in Portugal, used stuff tends to be very valuable. Also people tend to be very attached to stuff and always think they are worth more than they actually are. What you buy for 300 quid in the uk, here costs 500-600 quid.

For example, classic motorbikes in the uk go for half or even a third of the price compared to here.

Still, I think I would go for the bigger Suzumar instead of the Quicksilver. Without the license and insurance I can't go more than 300 m from shore and the engine would tempt me to go further away. I recon I can row that much without a fuss, plus exercise is always good.
Old 20 May 2014, 14:37   #32

The Quicksilver 240 will bore you soon, to small and tightI. If not that many options go for the 320 will handle much better. It's a excellent starter size sib, can upgrade up to a 15 HP larger size engine in a future.

Happy Boating
Old 22 May 2014, 16:59   #33

Today I met the seller and saw the Suzumar. It's in great condition and it has wood and aluminum floor. The keel wasn't scratched and there were no patches. The boat is already registered (one less expense) and he sells it for 400€ with the tow included.

I recon it's a good deal and I'll probably go for it. What do you say?
Old 22 May 2014, 21:29   #34

How would a 4 or 5 hp 2 stroke engine perform on this Suzumar? Would it be enough push the boat decently or it would be rather sluggish?
Old 22 May 2014, 21:50   #35

Nice, light and simple engine, the boat wont plane but it will push it along at 5 or 6 mph.Its a good engine to start with, especially given the licence situation in your country.
Old 22 May 2014, 23:24   #36

Quote:
Nice, light and simple engine, the boat wont plane but it will push it along at 5 or 6 mph.Its a good engine to start with, especially given the licence situation in your country.
6 mph? I can swim faster than that! But not for long, though...

Thanks mate! It would be cool if the forums had a system that allowed newbies to pay a pint to the guys that help them.

BTW, given that I will buy a second hand engine, what brands should I go for? I have seen a couple of Suzuki engines and a Tohatsu. I'm leaning towards a Suzuki because... well it's a Suzuki.
Old 23 May 2014, 14:02   #37

Which HP were both brands ? What's the max HP you're alowed to use in Portugal without skipping legal norms, laws ? 6 HP ?

Happy Boatting
Old 23 May 2014, 14:25   #38

Depends on age and condition, Tohatsu 2 stroke generally regarded to be better than Suzuki. Yamaha and Mariner/Mercury also great. Stick with a named brand.

2 stroke should start 2nd or 3rd pull maximum.
Old 23 May 2014, 15:29   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Which HP were both brands ? What's the max HP you're alowed to use in Portugal without skipping legal norms, laws ? 6 HP ?

Happy Boatting
Yes, 6 hp.

Found this 2 stroke 4 hp Suzuki for 250€:
motor suzuki de 4 cv a 2t - à venda Barcos, Setúbal - CustoJusto.pt

And this 5 hp Suzuki for 350€. The guy says it was an auxiliary engine and therefore it was never used, but still serviced.
Motor Suzuki 5cv outboard - à venda Barcos, Lisboa - CustoJusto.pt

The Tohatsu is 4 hp but is an uncertain deal because it's being sold with a wood boat. I would have to talk to the guy first to see if he sells only the engine.
barco em madeira com motor - à venda Barcos, Setúbal - CustoJusto.pt

BTW, I have seen some videos of engines being serviced and it seems pretty straight forward. Are there any other steps beside these?
-Change the propeller oil
-Check the propeller and add some great
-Check the spark plug
-Check compression
-Check the wires and tubes
Old 23 May 2014, 17:04   #40

I would go for either the 4hp Suzuki or the Tohatsu. The price for the Suzuki is cheap even at UK prices.

The 5hp Suzuki is the oldest.

Your service list is good but you also need to check/change the impellor. Its an easy job, check Youtube.