Click Here to Login

Old 23 January 2021, 22:52   #1

Town: Melbourne
Boat name: Stinger
Make: Achilles
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard petrol 25HP
Are Achilles SG-140 and SU-16 good for family of 4

I own an entry level 3.3m SIB for a short while as a beginner’s boat to practice and experience how it’s like to own a boat. And now I see Achilles in Australia is offering some major discount for both SG-140 and SU-160 which is quite tempting, because i now want a larger boat for my family of 2 adults and 2 girls for some water activities. And I found a 3.3m boat is barely adequate.

They are both 4m+ Hypalon type SIB. Size wise, I think they are pretty good for my intended usage of good weather activities with some additional room and safety just in case of some unexpected situation. However, I am not sure if that is too big for a SIB in general? And will the SU-16 offer some additional level of safety for family recreational use? I never operate anything other than SIB. Thus, I would like to seek some advice here before making the decision.

https://www.inflatableboats.com.au/sport-boat-sg-140
https://www.inflatableboats.com.au/commercial-su-16
Old 24 January 2021, 16:54   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Good boats they've been around a long time
Old 24 January 2021, 23:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Good boats they've been around a long time
Thank you for your sharing.
Since my experience in boating is still very limited. My major concern is whether a 4m+ SIB is a sensible choice. I do have limitation on storage space, while I think a slightly bigger boat would make a huge difference for our family.

Thanks in advance for any insight on actual usage of 4m+ SIBs.
Old 25 January 2021, 06:22   #4

Length: 5m +
4m+ SIBs are very capable boats but make sure you have a suitable engine. I ran a Zodiac Grand Raid MK2 (4.2m) with a 30hp ETEC. It was a good combination with plenty of power when needed. It would have been a very good size and set up for the type of use you have described.
That said, I kept it on a trailer and would not consider setting it up each time I wanted to use it. The engine alone was too heavy. Will you have a trailer?
Old 25 January 2021, 07:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post
4m+ SIBs are very capable boats but make sure you have a suitable engine. I ran a Zodiac Grand Raid MK2 (4.2m) with a 30hp ETEC. It was a good combination with plenty of power when needed. It would have been a very good size and set up for the type of use you have described.
That said, I kept it on a trailer and would not consider setting it up each time I wanted to use it. The engine alone was too heavy. Will you have a trailer?
Thank for your insight.
In that case, I think I would consider to have it ready for use in a trailer in late spring to early autumn when water activities is most possible. Then pack it during Winter. Temperature would be too cold for family water activities anyway.
Old 25 January 2021, 09:11   #6

RIBase
look up gurnard on here Richard some really good trips he does over here in the UK
Old 26 January 2021, 05:18   #7

Anyone has some insight on the those 2 specific models? Appreciated for anyone who can share some thoughts.
Old 26 January 2021, 07:15   #8

Length: 5m +
I have no experience of these models but have taken a look at the website. Based on my experience, I would say that the SG-140 seems more suitable for the kind of boating you have described. Looking at the specifications, the SU-16 is designed for heavy duty commercial use and is a bigger and heavier boat. At 168kg it will require a larger engine to perform well.
You may want to consider the SG-140SV as, according to the website, that model has pressure relief valves fitted as standard. These are useful in warmer climates. I would imagine that, for 2 adults and 2 children, the 140 would provide plenty of space and be a more manageable boat (102kg). A 4.25m SIB will provide plenty of safety and be easier to handle that the bigger boat. This may actually make it safer for recreational use.
Old 27 January 2021, 10:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post
I have no experience of these models but have taken a look at the website. Based on my experience, I would say that the SG-140 seems more suitable for the kind of boating you have described. Looking at the specifications, the SU-16 is designed for heavy duty commercial use and is a bigger and heavier boat. At 168kg it will require a larger engine to perform well.
You may want to consider the SG-140SV as, according to the website, that model has pressure relief valves fitted as standard. These are useful in warmer climates. I would imagine that, for 2 adults and 2 children, the 140 would provide plenty of space and be a more manageable boat (102kg). A 4.25m SIB will provide plenty of safety and be easier to handle that the bigger boat. This may actually make it safer for recreational use.
Thanks again. Really valuable insights. Can’t be as rational as you with my very limited experience.
Old 27 January 2021, 11:26   #10

RIBase
worth a read Richard

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/achill...a-80394-2.html
Old 05 February 2021, 10:13   #11

Finally purhcased the SG-140. See how it goes when it's delivered.
Old 24 May 2021, 19:38   #12

Hi Richard - I read the thread, first I hope the Achilles boat arrived in good shape & you're already enjoying it. I'm hesitating between the SG-124 and SGX-122, SGX is ~20% cheaper. I also don't want to go too long, limited storage capacities. Can you please provide some feedback after your purchase? Thanks in advance !
Old 26 May 2021, 08:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorudasc View Post
Hi Richard - I read the thread, first I hope the Achilles boat arrived in good shape & you're already enjoying it. I'm hesitating between the SG-124 and SGX-122, SGX is ~20% cheaper. I also don't want to go too long, limited storage capacities. Can you please provide some feedback after your purchase? Thanks in advance !
Overall, the SG-140 feels a lot safer than our original 3.3m SIB when loaded with all 4 people in my family. The increase in size does make a noticeable difference in stability. And that was my reason to upgrade. And it’s solid and nicely produced. It’s weight is a little bit of a problem for me during set up and deflating because my 2 kids are still small and only my wife can give me a little bit of help. However, I don’t have a strong engine to push it to good speed with my 15Hp outboard. I will spend a little more time with it before making any decision for a more powerful engine though. Now is winter in Melbourne and not a good time to use it frequently. If you have any specific question about my usage, let me know. But I have to stress that I am not experienced in boating.