Old 28 March 2021, 08:16   #21

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
I agree and am sincerely sorry. We all slip up as you know..
To be fair I'd imagine many on here would find the opportunity to troll the troll master too tempting so I wouldnt feel too bad about it [emoji6]
Old 10 April 2021, 20:19   #22

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Bit of an update. Not managed to get the little bugger wet, in fact has not even left the bedroom yet, but been busy fettling, as you do.

Fitted some seriously heavy duty leftover Russian cranked transom wheels (originally intended for our now ex. T38), added towing eyes, and sealed all new and existing transom holes plus dodgy factory fitted auto baler. Will swap out the rather small stock wheels with some large 16” jobbies from the spares box.

Also been busy concocting a lightweight method of handballing said rig across site, through dunes and over soft sand to the water. Already possess galv. launching trolleys, but a tad heavy so fabricated a timber gizmo (which clips into transom wheel mounts) and will take the strain off the bow ring whilst hauling through dunes. Also knocked up a lightweight combi dolly/motor trolley to take the nose weight out of pulling. Quick release tow ball for outboard storage mode. Still need to add some foam protection, and the boat of course!!

No bleedin idea if any of this lot will actually work, but hoping to find out sometime next week or so, weather god’s permitting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3108.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	136932Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3105.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	136933Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3093.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	136934Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3103.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	136935
Old 14 April 2021, 19:58   #23

So little ‘Flipper’ all set to go on its maiden voyage. Super sunny but freezing cold here ‘up north’ and just waiting for the 1.5m surf to calm down a tad to give us a sporting chance of it not living up to it’s name launching. Feels super light, even loaded with kit, and optimistic gonna be ok to haul through the dunes on the diy trolley. Now itching to see how it goes with the tiny 3.5 motor or even if it actually floats!

Also pulled the rib out of storage yesterday, but to be honest more excited to get the little ‘cat’ out on the water first...sad or what!

Name:	IMG_3125.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	136982
Old 14 April 2021, 20:16   #24

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Looks like it will be great fun. I was actually showing Mrs F the larger image from the other channel and she was admiring the trolley setup. Is that the one on offer in Aldi this week?
Old 14 April 2021, 21:10   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Is that the one on offer in Aldi this week?

Afraid not, had it a good few years. It’s a lightweight aluminium Clarke sack truck from Machine Mart.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...um-sack-truck/
Old 14 April 2021, 22:03   #26

Ahh OK... yours is good value for an aluminium one though.
Old 15 April 2021, 22:59   #27

Sunny skies and freezing temps early doors today, but no swell and just a light onshore chop meant ‘get that tiny cat out for its maiden shakedown you wuss’.

First off super light rig meant haul from site, through dunes, and down to waters edge (tide out....oh no!) just doable fully loaded solo. Diy dolly/trolley/transom wheels combo worked a treat...obvious upgrade would be a proprietary super lightweight aluminium launch trolley....big bucks methinks.

On water no real surprises to be honest, just don’t expect these tunnel hull cats to work 100% straight out the box. Only running a 3.5hp Mariner 4-stroke initially and at non planing speeds pulled 5knots effortlessly at very little engine load. Amazingly, easily managed to get planing one up and topped out at a smidge over 11knots...crazy speed from 3.5hp. It also seems to track well and has decent grip in the turns. Don’t expect a dry ride though with the relatively small diameter toobs and no anti-splash/drip moulding to the rubbing strake. I didn’t even fit the seat as much prefer to sit on the (elevated) air floor, and being such a tiny boat would just be in the way.

Bad news, although not unexpected, ventilates like crazy whilst planing. A common problem evidently even on the more costly cats where fitting cupped props/hydrofoil fins is often a solution. Also on this boat the transom, at a full 15”, is just too deep for a tunnel hull craft, further compounding the problem.

Basically purchased for use as a super light, cheap muck about off the beach in ‘good conditions’ chill out sib then it should fit the bill perfectly. If we run it with the 3.5 mainly at displacement speeds then sensible to just accept the intermittent ventilation at full throttle.

Gut feel though, this little tunnel hull deserves more power, and will fly with a lightweight 6, 8 or 9.8hp motor. Of course with more power any ventilation issues will certainly need addressing, and willing to do this even if it requires trimming down the transom!

For the price I reckon this small, cheap, lightweight but basic ‘cat style’ sib will be great fun and fairly confident we can address its foibles with a little time and effort. Bottom line though, hesitant to recommend to others as at the end of the day, do not expect it to perform 100% straight out of the box.

Name:	IMG_3133.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	136995Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3136.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	136996Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3139.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	136997Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3143.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	136998Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1502.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	136999
Old 16 April 2021, 17:10   #28

Sunny and bitterly cold again this morning with a bit more chop but got out for an hour or so of more testing.

Raided the rib for the long shaft Mariner 3.5 aux motor and whacked it on the sib.

As hoped, a mahoosive improvement with no ventilation issues at all and an increase in top speed to just under 13knots. Boat transformed into a right little hooligan....easily maintaining planing speeds in tight turns and pushing through chop. Seemed ridiculously quick for 3.5hp. Got soaked playing in the white topped chop and small surf...great fun.

Realise the long shaft throws the leg too deep and reckon a good depth will be somewhere midway between that and the short shaft. So cutting down the centre section of transom by 50 to 60mm should be a good starting point to get the short shaft gripping....if not will keep going deeper in small increments.

Bit of a drastic mod for a brand new off the shelf boat, but needs must and it clearly doesn’t work as is. Now where did I put that jigsaw?
Old 16 April 2021, 17:56   #29

Great review and images. I would have no fear at all modding that transom to get it how you want now you've proved the fun concept... but is it worth getting the larger motor first and cutting to suit that??

So frustrated no Elling so far to see how that goes re ventilation to see if the central external sausage does the trick.
Old 17 April 2021, 07:26   #30

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Well done for getting her wet and for the review. As you say the cavitation will need to be sorted and I suspect many who might buy even at only £700 would be timid about taking a saw to the transom. Amazing performance with a 3.5 hp imagine a 9.8 2 Smoke
Old 17 April 2021, 07:29   #31

Did you get any video ?
Old 17 April 2021, 08:11   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Great review and images. I would have no fear at all modding that transom to get it how you want now you've proved the fun concept... but is it worth getting the larger motor first and cutting to suit that??

So frustrated no Elling so far to see how that goes re ventilation to see if the central external sausage does the trick.

Thanks. Yes agree sensible to wait and cut transom to suit chosen motor....still pondering 6, 8 or ‘holy grail’ 9.8, plus current supply issues aren’t helping.

Reckon it’ll need in excess of 60mm reduction for any short shaft, so might start with 50mm, temporarily seal, and just try the 3.5. Plan to leave final level and finishing to suit chosen motor.

Fingers crossed the Elling lands soon. Aware of a couple of boats both running different 9.8 four strokes with no reported ventilation issues.
Old 17 April 2021, 15:14   #33

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
was talking to a barrus dealer today and there hoping to be getting deliveries of new outboards mid to late may
Old 17 April 2021, 23:29   #34

Unfortunately no ribbing today as local tractor launch broken so, despite not having or even decided on new motor, started looking at sib transom surgery.

Took a few dims, removed inner and outer motor pads, cut and peeled back transom top pvc profiled edging and marked out said cut out.

Existing effective transom depth to u/s toobs is a whopping 485mm (19.12”). So decided to initially whip off 60mm leaving an effective depth of 425mm (16.75”). Reckon this will be as good a starting point as any.

Unlikely the tractor mended by tomorrow, so the pressure will be on to fire up the jigsaw!!

Name:	IMG_3180.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	137023Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3199.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	137024
Old 18 April 2021, 06:08   #35

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
I expect to see it jigsawed and made waterproof with at least 2 coats of something today so its ready for sea trials tomorrow, you know thats what you need to do.
Old 18 April 2021, 15:57   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
I expect to see it jigsawed and made waterproof with at least 2 coats of something today so its ready for sea trials tomorrow, you know thats what you need to do.

On programme Oldman2.

No ribbing again today so went for it. Only have very limited tools up here but a quick trip to Screwfix for some new jigsaw blades, glass paper and a tin of yacht varnish and voila....no turning back now.

Hopefully whack transom plates on tomorrow morning and go testing!

Name:	IMG_3205.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	137041Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3208.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	137042Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3216.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	137043Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3217.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	137044
Old 19 April 2021, 16:42   #37

Very interested to see how this works out
Old 19 April 2021, 18:10   #38

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Hi Chipko, apologies for delay in coming back to you with transom height on Takacat. First chance to inflate boat( and use) was today.
I realise you have already reduced your transom height, but here are measurements on mine.
Transom to bottom of floor is 13 1/2 inches ( floor sits a couple of inches or so above water line ( I couldn’t get accurate measurement today).
Transom to a/v plate is approx 17 inches. ( Suzuki 6 he, with permatrim fitted, but uncapped prop).The earlier Takacats had the top transom tube straight, but on my version they have lowered the centre , presumably to lower transom height.
I’m still tweaking mine, adjusting the trim pin today.
I couldn’t test speed today, as there is speed limit in :Bristol docks.
Good trip though- almost the only private boat on the water, and great weather. If I can forward a photo of set up, I will. ( not tech savvy! )
Good luck with yours. You should be able to have fun with it
Old 20 April 2021, 07:09   #39

Thanks Old Seahorse for the dims.

Quick update. The good news is it didn’t sink, bad news still ventilates with the short shaft. Not ideal test conditions as quite a bit of chop.

Reduction of 60mm gives an actual transom depth of 325mm with an effective depth of 425mm to u/s tubes. Uneasy going any deeper to be honest.

Unable to further test for a week or two but at the moment best results are with a long shaft on the unaltered transom.
Old 20 April 2021, 07:48   #40

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
It sounds like the dimensions on your transom are pretty similar to mine, after your surgery.
I looked at both propellor cupping, and fitting a permatrim. The dealer who supplied the boat was cautious about the any potential advantage in cupping.
Whilst not promoting any method or product, the permatrim has considerably improved both the ventilation issue, and performance on mine. It’s different in shape to most “fins”, with turned lips on both sides, presumably to defect any side thrust rearward.
I know there are plenty of members here more tech savvy than me.
What I have found is that these inflatable cats behave differently.
Mine is very stable, and turns in a tight, controlled manner.
They seem to perform well with a small motor, which for me, was a major consideration.
Clearly ventilation is more of a challenge, caused by the air tunnel and lack of transom below the waterline, but with some tweaking, I think you, ( and me) will get there.

Tags
sib